Wii U retail impressions?

The tag on this thread.. MAN.

Yeah who could have done that?

Brit :p

Yeah, I was shocked to check Wal Mart's website a couple hours ago, and literally every one of the 6 or 8 stores in the default radius still has Wii U deluxe editions in stock. Additionally according to a recent GAF thread, Gamestop.com has had Wii U's in stock for the last hour or so. Apparently there is a way to see how many they have available, and Deluxes had declined from ~700 to ~200 in that time, but Basic's had gone from ~560 to ~500, in other words basics may never sell out.

Given that, I'm kind of shocked that the one ebay auction I checked earlier today, the Wii U still sold for $460+$15 shipping. Granted if you know ebay like I do you know that isn't actually much profit margin after ebay+paypal takes their 12-13% cut, and especially if the buyer paid sales tax on the unit (another nearly 10%).

There definitely seem to be early troubling indications on Wii U demand, especially given that over black friday damn near anything should sell out.

Here's some good Wii U stuff I noticed since I mostly post negative :p

This boogie guy I'm subbed too is some kind of YT gaming celebrity (I believe he gained fame playing some fat angry character named Francis, but anyway), and I was interested to see his Wii U impressions are very positive (timestamped link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvq5G7RGXAQ&t=5m10s

Also, as much as it may be a phyric victory, a lot of the Wii U ports dont seem to be too far behind, especially given they're first efforts. For example, DF implying the order of the ME3 versions is 360>Wii U>PS3.

And, I thought IGN's Black Ops Wii U review was positive as well, first that they didn't mention any obvious port deficiences, and the playing on the Wuublet really does look fairly cool and open up some interesting things (such as two local players play online deathmatch, one of the big screen one on the controller, or being able to play on the wuublet alone).

I dont know that those things make up for the huge wide controller in Blops 2's case, but hey :p

Here's some good Wii U stuff I noticed since I mostly post negative :p

This boogie guy I'm subbed too is some kind of YT gaming celebrity (I believe he gained fame playing some fat angry character named Francis, but anyway), and I was interested to see his Wii U impressions are very positive (timestamped link) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvq5G7RGXAQ&t=5m10s

Also, as much as it may be a phyric victory, a lot of the Wii U ports dont seem to be too far behind, especially given they're first efforts. For example, DF implying the order of the ME3 versions is 360>Wii U>PS3.

And, I thought IGN's Black Ops Wii U review was positive as well, first that they didn't mention any obvious port deficiences, and the playing on the Wuublet really does look fairly cool and open up some interesting things (such as two local players play online deathmatch, one of the big screen one on the controller, or being able to play on the wuublet alone).

I dont know that those things make up for the huge wide controller in Blops 2's case, but hey :p

I forget which review I read, but someone was implying the GamePad was the more natural fit for the controls rather than the pro-controller if you're used to other platforms?! I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion (maybe they have enormous hands?!) as I would have thought the pro contoller is pretty much the same shape as 360. Anyone had a hands on witht he pro-controller? Is there somthing awry with its ergonomics?

I'm looking forward to DFs BLOPS2 & AC3 comparisons. It will be interesting to see if there are any graphic problems and if they match any of the other ports. So far Batman Armoured Edition is the worst port by a long shot from what I've read. Dodgy low res shadows, framerate plummeting in bizarre places etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought the pro contoller is pretty much the same shape as 360. Anyone had a hands on witht he pro-controller? Is there somthing awry with its ergonomics?

Well the thumbstick layout with regards to the right stick position is quite different from the 360 pad, which imo is the best solution. Of course the Wii U tablet also has a quite a different form factor, but I can kind of see sense in that argument. Without trying any of the Wii U stuff out, I'm thinking I'd rather play with the tablet, if it's not out of power that is. Still can't understand that tiny battery, when there is so much room to put a proper one in.

Well the thumbstick layout with regards to the right stick position is quite different from the 360 pad, which imo is the best solution. Of course the Wii U tablet also has a quite a different form factor, but I can kind of see sense in that argument. Without trying any of the Wii U stuff out, I'm thinking I'd rather play with the tablet, if it's not out of power that is. Still can't understand that tiny battery, when there is so much room to put a proper one in.

Costs

I mean I personally would play it with the 'Pad (other wise I wouldn't bother getting for the WiiU, I'd just get the PS3 version :)) but I thought the button layout was the same as the pro controller - just wider apart. So i figured the pro controller would be the more 'normal' feeling alternative to 360/ps3 contorller.

Will have to wait and see what suits me best I suppose. And you're right, maybe it will come down to whether I can be bothered to recharge the 'pad ;)

Onto some news: Hulu, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube apps are all live now. Will be interesting to see how they perform and how they use the Gamepad.

I've read that Amazon definitely supports off screen playback - are the others confirmed to do the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I personally would play it with the 'Pad (other wise I wouldn't bother getting for the WiiU, I'd just get the PS3 version :)) but I thought the button layout was the same as the pro controller - just wider apart. So i figured the pro controller would be the more 'normal' feeling alternative to 360/ps3 contorller.

Will have to wait and see what suits me best I suppose. And you're right, maybe it will come down to whether I can be bothered to recharge the 'pad ;)

Onto some news: Hulu, Amazon Instant Video and YouTube apps are all live now. Will be interesting to see how they perform and how they use the Gamepad.

I've read that Amazon definitely supports off screen playback - are the others confirmed to do the same?

Afaik, Netflix, Hulu and youtube supports the gametabletpad, and i think amazon does as well.

I could see myself getting this as the Mario/Streaming solution for my living room. Currently i have a 360 which wants money if i want to stream from video providers, and a Fat PS3 which doubles as a extra heater. And the second screen option is just cool if a kid wants to watch something and the TV should be used for something else.

Ok, so like 3 hours now until Wuu premiere in Sweden (for those who visit a midnight launch location anyway); I'm not going to bother, I'm too old for that sort of thing now. However, I wish I could say all the stumbles during the worldwide launch has diminished my want to buy a wuu... That's not the case.

I still want one, and I'm buying my pre-order unit tomorrow. :oops:

Ok, so like 3 hours now until Wuu premiere in Sweden (for those who visit a midnight launch location anyway); I'm not going to bother, I'm too old for that sort of thing now. However, I wish I could say all the stumbles during the worldwide launch has diminished my want to buy a wuu... That's not the case.

I still want one, and I'm buying my pre-order unit tomorrow. :oops:

So is it just preorders which you can get tomorrow? Ur launch also on the 30th?

I know the feel, US launch has bummed me out somewhat but my desire to buy one hasn't diminished.

I'm looking forward to the giving ZombiU a try.

Afaik, Netflix, Hulu and youtube supports the gametabletpad, and i think amazon does as well.

I could see myself getting this as the Mario/Streaming solution for my living room. Currently i have a 360 which wants money if i want to stream from video providers, and a Fat PS3 which doubles as a extra heater. And the second screen option is just cool if a kid wants to watch something and the TV should be used for something else.

Oh that's good news then. I'll also be intrigued as to whether this can replace my iPad as my main streaming device (whilst in my lounge at least)

Well the thumbstick layout with regards to the right stick position is quite different from the 360 pad, which imo is the best solution.

Yeah, that's another stupid decision by Nintendo there. Who puts the face buttons under the right thumbstick? How are you supposed to 'claw' (ie. use the buttons with a finger without taking your thumb off the right thumbstick).

So is it just preorders which you can get tomorrow? Ur launch also on the 30th?
Oh. I had my dates mixed up, I thought it launched the 25th, and since it launches on a friday and it is a friday today then it has to be the 25th, IE wuu launch day. Lol, my logic is flawlessly flawed sometimes! :LOL: My bad. Still another week to go. Plah! Oh well, then I have time to gripe some more about the all of the system's shortcomings. ;)

Dang, another sign Wii U may not be doing well, I just checked Amazon to see how Wii U titles were doing (I understand Amazon doesn't carry Nintendo hardware due to some dispute). I didn't see a Wii U title in the top 100 video game bestsellers! At first I though Amazon must not carry Wii U software, but they do. Mario Wii U is #122 (was the only one I checked, going to assume it's the highest).

I'm sure you can make excuses for this, but wow, that seems shockingly bad.

Why? The system is just out and if Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware it makes sense that people who just bought the system also bought their first software at the same store they bought the hardware.

I wouldn't say amazon wiiu software sales mean anything at this moment in time.

Oh. I had my dates mixed up, I thought it launched the 25th, and since it launches on a friday and it is a friday today then it has to be the 25th, IE wuu launch day. Lol, my logic is flawlessly flawed sometimes! :LOL: My bad. Still another week to go. Plah! Oh well, then I have time to gripe some more about the all of the system's shortcomings. ;)

Ah, too bad. I was excited for you then (and a bit jealous) - Was about to start planning my move to Sweden!

Why? The system is just out and if Amazon doesn't sell Nintendo hardware it makes sense that people who just bought the system also bought their first software at the same store they bought the hardware.

I wouldn't say amazon wiiu software sales mean anything at this moment in time.
I agree. One would assume people would buy a game with their console, rather than taking the console home gameless and then buy one from Amazon.

I agree. One would assume people would buy a game with their console, rather than taking the console home gameless and then buy one from Amazon.

this might hold in the first few days to some extent. beyond that it seems tenuous. people may buy two games up front, but then their amazon habits should return to normal, etc.

given that wii u availability is shockingly good and shipments may well be very low, it's possible hardware are just awful. of course it's well possible they arent as well.

if wii u's are available after tmrw (black friday), it will be even more troubling. npd will tell the tale.

i already see people on gaf saying things like "well this just show Nintendo is shipping lots of Wii U's, great job". Or, "X360 sold 326k it's first nov, that's the # to beat" (ignoring that oh yeah, 360 was massively supply constrained unlike Wii U)

given that wii u availability is shockingly good and shipments may well be very low, it's possible hardware are just awful.
That's absolutely true. Amazon's just not a good reference point right now.

Just Googling threw up this:
In case you hadn’t noticed, the Wii U was released in America yesterday and supply shortages are leading to sky-high prices online.
eBay has seen Premium edition consoles, which have a US RRP of $350, sell for prices between $399.99 and $510.00. $480 seems to be the standard price for the high-end SKU.
Even retailers such as Amazon have hiked prices well past their RRP. It is currently charging $480 for the Premium bundle and $380 for the Basic.
That could be an indicator of great sales. Or just low supply. No way of knowing at this point.

That's absolutely true. Amazon's just not a good reference point right now.

Just Googling threw up this:That could be an indicator of great sales. Or just low supply. No way of knowing at this point.

Hmmm. I wouldn't call those quoted prices "sky-high", certainly compared to the price-gouging that has occurred with newly released consoles in the past.

Those "Amazon" prices they quote are actually Marketplace sales, which of course much the same as ebay sellers, just small companies or individuals trying to make a fast buck.

Ebay prices look relatively subdued.

Back