• Wii U: No

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Have not purchased yet. Still waiting for more/better games/offers

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
Ok now that the launch excitement is supposed to wear off, I am very surprised how well current gen continues to sell despite the lack of AAA games which were traditionally sales drivers in previous gen.

This eurogamer article has some pretty good points regarding the matter.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-15-who-needs-games-playstation-4s-first-year

Not only do these consoles lack AAA exclusives most of their multiplatform games are cross gen too.

Yet sales dont seem to dry off. The desire for better visuals/better versions, a better UI and infrastructure appear to be good enough motivators. But perhaps a new motivator to upgrade is probably the social aspect. Sharing the experience is one of my favorite features this gen.

I am not sure what keeps sales so high especially in the case of the PS4. It lacks a great deal of the features that are a given on the PS3. It is experiencing some "frequent" network down times on top of having to pay to play online.

Perhaps the new controller also attracts attention.

I suspect that people dont give too much attention to available exclusives for the mean time probably because both lack in the same department so this comparison that governed a purchase in the past is pretty much redundant. Yet, why do people upgrade so fast?

Quite strangely I appear to be very happy with my PS4 despite the lack of original IPs and exclusives. And I feel that I would have been the same if I owned an XB1.

I am trying to figure out what it is and below are a combination of elements that I find unique compared to previous generations:
1) Price+Value: $400 seems to be the sweet spot if we consider inflation. We have a large variety of interesting bundles too. I cant recall such a large variety of bundles and special editions in the past. Cameras, variety of good games packed in, extra controllers, special color editions etc

2) Product presentation: At least in the case of the PS4 the product design is slick and slim and the XB1 is slick. Previous console designs didnt have the form factor that made them fit in the living room like they do now. In the past they stuck out like a sore thumb. They looked bulky or like games consoles.

3) Perhaps people got used to upgrading as soon as something new is released. Perhaps tablets and smartphones conditioned people to be more willing to spend hundreds of dollars. These devices became common use. And they incorporate many aspects of social media and gaming. So probably people find it easier to feel right at home with the PS4 and XB1. Which:

4) they appear to be like companions with tablets and smartphones. They have apps that share information (Playstation App and XBL integration for example) with tablets, they share screens and have apps like Twitch and Ustream where you can watch and share experience between console and smartphone/tablet

5)which brings as to the social media syndrome. People are addicted to sharing their experiences with others. There is this type of "competition" where people try to highlight as much as possible the good things of their lives even if exaggerated. Sharing gaming experience can be a part of that. For years gamers wanted to be able to share their gaming experience. Unfortunately they couldnt do it without spending a lot on capture devices. With screenshot, DVR and streaming becoming possible with a simple touch of a button and uploading either to facebook and youtube, this is one delightful feature

6) Controller: The PS4 controller got some interesting upgrades and improvements. Despite the underutilization of its features the fact that they are there and easily observable probably attract lots of interest. With the exception of the Wii (and Wii U) which is a reimagination of gaming, I cant recall a traditional controller upgraded and as full featured as the DS4 since the NES days. The improvements are directly felt by simply holding the controller. Its robust and feels good. The trackpad, mic, lightbar and sensor are known quantities not something that the consumer needs to discover by accident despite that they are not used fully. When they are used they arent annoying implementations. They complement the experience positively. They are simple but their minimalist implementation is adequate. They do not demand complicated super advanced ideas to pick interest. The XB1 controller despite not having most of the extra features in the DS4, it has also got a superb upgrade in terms of ergonomics. You feel the improvement just as much just by holding the controller. It looks slicker too. When I saw it and held it for the first time I could immediately tell

7) Efforts to expand the console experience and make it more seamless: Despite that I am not fan of the voice commands, I presume their presence does have an impact in the perception. Even if in the case of the PS4 voice commands are often sluggish ( I experimented a bit with the voice commands on the PS4 but it is not consistent at all. Perhaps its my broken English accent. But it was annoying). I presume it works great on the XB1? The ability to run and jump to multiple apps fast is something that the consumer is looking for now. Thanks to tablets and smartphones. Both consoles are faster than last gen and incorporate lots of non-gaming features too. I also love how much faster these new consoles jump into games or the fact that you dont need to exit a game to open an app.

These are just some of my thoughts. I d like to hear yours as well as your current satisfaction levels with XB1 and/or PS4

Something I think the Eurogamer article misses, and this is certainly the case for me, is I really enjoyed the games last generation, indeed this year on PS4 I've bought Tomb Raider (played on PS3), Metro Redux (new for me), The Last of Us Remastered (played on PS3) and waiting 7 hours for the time to count down so I can play GTA V (played on PS3). Not because there was a lack of games on PS4 but because I really like playing these games and the PS3 will have to go at some point.

While the games were great, the hardware was not. For me I view PS4 as a PS3 without all the issues. Patching the OS is no longer a 10 minute job, patching games is essentially invisible happening at night in rest mode, installing games is almost unbelievably quick thanks to PlayGo. Games are (mostly) 1920x1080, frame rates are solid and draw distances longer. Generally developers are having to compromise less all round. Remote play to Vita is standard so I can play anywhere.

I do expect games to get a lot better but for now, owning my PS4 just less than year, I'm enjoying what I couldn't so much on PS3: hassle free gaming.

I'm just waiting for the franchises/games to make the jump so I don't have to turn the PS3 on.

So far I have:
Skylanders
Various Lego games
Singstar
Just Dance
Infamous
Killzone
The Last of Us
Disney Infinity

Soon:
GTAV (char transfers)
Little Big Planet (fully BC)
Far Cry

In development:
Uncharted
Gran Tursmo
R&C
Tearaway

Want:
Motorstorm

All in all it was a good year, lots of games and plenty more around the corner. The system/OS works great and only a few minor feature that I'd like to see still.

PS4's transparent patch handling and general OS responsiveness means that using it is generally a pleasant experience. Add in the Twitch / Ustream integration and you have a box that is easy to use and encourages you to continue doing so. Even more so when buying games digitally since you don't have to get up off the couch to switch games.

This is the complete opposite of the experience last gen (at least on the PS3).

I purchased 18 xbox one titles for Xbox One this year. I'd consider it the greatest return to gaming I've done since my teenage years. I caught up on all the big franchises that I more or less missed out on last gen.

I'd say from a usage perspective I've been happy with Xbox One, I've made solid use of it. As for games, I've been disappointed with all the large franchise games; they are at best 'ok' games, but still very much the same thing. I've been happiest with the new titles, Ryse, DR3, FH2, KI, SO, TF, Fantasia and Dance Central. D4 is ok atm, still on the fence whether I really love it., Forza 5 is pretty good too as with Destiny. Wolfenstein is my 3rd party game of the year, and likely SO for first party, FH2 is a close contender.

I have been happy playing online with X1 making a proper transition into console gaming over from PC. What I like is the ease of use, though I found XBL to be extremely finicky contrary to what most 360 players have reported as a rock solid service. Frequently (as in several different types of issues cropping up) having troubles with chat and party disconnects, not myself but party members, it's just not a 100% experience yet. But when it works and works perfectly it is great.

As for the console itself, excluding games I've been fairly happy with. As a media machine I feel like it's nearly there, and for it's price point as an all-in-one machine I think it's a better value than a HTPC when you consider the games and kinect aspect of it.

Both consoles are very good. There was a bit of a dry spell for games, but that pretty much corrected this fall. Overall, you can't really go wrong with either one, and the prices are not outrageous. I'd rather play Shadow of Mordor on PS4, Xbox One than PS360 that had a gimped version. There are a lot of reasons to upgrade.

Edit: The eurogamer article also basically suggests PS4 didn't have many games, but that's only if you look at exclusives. There were a lot of multiplatform games, and they played very well on PS4. If the hardware is good and there are good games (multiplatform or not), then I'd say that's reason enough for people to upgrade.

Last edited:
Only is you look at retail console exclusives. They have to narrowly define "games" so they can get some clicks. If you look at all games the PS4 is doing well. Lots of indies, cross-buy PS3 games, F2P, etc.

I tend to disagree with the general tone of all these articles claiming "there are no games", it made me laugh for the the last 8 years. (so did the occasional metacritic fetish as if 88 is so much better than 85, or even relevant) There's always the infatuation with counting games, cherry picking irrational criteria for statistics, using personal tastes as facts, appeal to authority, etc...

How about this: My personal criteria for this generation launch offering is "Number of new AAA IPs" of my favorite genre, which is platformers. The score is 1-0-0 for PS4-XB1-WiiU. My criteria for buying a WiiU was "is Super Smash coming out soon?". Many prefer FPS or TPS and their impression will be different. Lists are stupid. Game counting is stupid. Metacritic score average is stupid. It doesn't matter if there are hundreds of games or twelve, as long as the ones I want get made. But specific game sales numbers do matter, because it tells us if we have a chance of having more of the games that we love in the future.

More seriously, the biggest problem of PS4's launch was all the games announced at E3 for late 2014 which got everyone excited, and were delayed to 2015. This created a hole in the releases, but I hope it means 2015 is shaping up nicely. The little bugs here and there are not important as long as the bugs get fixed, it seems that they are.

I tend to disagree with the general tone of all these articles claiming "there are no games"

It depends on what you are looking for though. I'm one of those guys that feels these new machines have no games, they are mostly just rehashes of old stuff and the occasional indy scraps thrown their way. There was a time I'd look to console to find gaming innovation but to me that's no longer the case, and I say that as someone that has owned literally every single gaming console since the 70s except for the Fairchild Channel F. This is the first gen I didn't buy into because, well, there are no games. Or maybe a better way to word is it that there is nothing there new or interesting that appeals to me. I guess to me the one year post mortem summary of this generation is "Generic Game Part 4, Gimped, Limited And Overpriced Edition". I don't say that to be irritating, it's just my personal opinion and one of the reasons why I don't own either box.

It depends on what you are looking for though. I'm one of those guys that feels these new machines have no games, they are mostly just rehashes of old stuff and the occasional indy scraps thrown their way. There was a time I'd look to console to find gaming innovation but to me that's no longer the case, and I say that as someone that has owned literally every single gaming console since the 70s except for the Fairchild Channel F. This is the first gen I didn't buy into because, well, there are no games. Or maybe a better way to word is it that there is nothing there new or interesting that appeals to me. I guess to me the one year post mortem summary of this generation is "Generic Game Part 4, Gimped, Limited And Overpriced Edition". I don't say that to be irritating, it's just my personal opinion and one of the reasons why I don't own either box.
I know how you feel. I feel to a large extend the same. Personally I got a little tired with the PS3's and 360's UI's and also with their performance. The need to play the better versions attracted me to buy a new console so that I have the better experience though.

In your case you are the type that still holds for good reasons. But those that want to upgrade are many and they are the main subject of this thread. Why do they upgrade despite the lack of innovative and original IP's?

Why do they upgrade despite the lack of innovative and original IP's?

The same reason people upgrade their PC; to have better gaming experiences. Graphics aren't everything but they can certainly help with immersion.

From my perspective, Xbox One UI feels like a step backwards from the 360. It's too goddamn tedious to send someone a party/game invite, at least in Destiny (not sure if that's Bungie's or MS' fault though). Too much damn menu diving and too many clicks. Bkilian's statement a while back about all of the gamers leaving the XBox division really kind of shows in the minor clusterfuck of a UI experience we Boners got.

That said, the games have been fine in my opinion (visually and performance-wise). No real complaints there.

From my perspective, Xbox One UI feels like a step backwards from the 360. It's too goddamn tedious to send someone a party/game invite, at least in Destiny (not sure if that's Bungie's or MS' fault though). Too much damn menu diving and too many clicks. Bkilian's statement a while back about all of the gamers leaving the XBox division really kind of shows in the minor clusterfuck of a UI experience we Boners got.

That said, the games have been fine in my opinion (visually and performance-wise). No real complaints there.

Latest Destiny patch is supposed to make it easier to invite people on Xbox One. Some things definitely take a bit longer on Xbox One, but they're improving it all the time. My guess is it'll work itself out over time, but there are a lot of improvements over 360 as well

I'm good with the game visuals and performance, but I've never been the graphics fanatic type. Improved PC visuals still don't feel like they're worth the hassle, though I'll consider going back to PC once Windows 10 is out and solid, and real DX12 graphics cards are available.

As far as games go the summer was pathetically dry. For my experience with XbOne launch brought some good exclusived like DR3, KI, Forza 5 and Ryse.
I also got Tomb Raider DE as I never played the original and I loved it.
BF4 and COD Ghost were a disapointment.
Then the dry spell until August when I got Metro Redux the only game I purchased was Wolfenstein. Now that fall has come around there are too many games.
I currently own Ryse, Outlast, Ki, Strider, Metro, CODAW,SSOD, Forza H2, Halo TMCC and Shadow warrior. I am planning on getting GTa 5 wednesday so I have plenty to play. As far as graphical performance and next gen leap I am pretty satisfied with the One especially compared to the 360 and Ps3. I plan on getting a Ps4 come tax time because there are so many titles I want on the Ps4. This gen is going to get better and better every year that passes in opinion.

Although I own a PS4, I still purchased more PC games this year than PS4. I bought my PS4 mostly for Sony's internal/1st party games... and I'm a little disappointed that very few were released this year. Hopefully 2015 will be much better for Sony internal parties...

I've been very pleased with the X1's first year. It's been a year of constant improvement in terms of console features and games/game performance. The next-gen consoles could have done with baking the OS's a little longer, but it's quite satisfying to see your devices improving over time.

I do agree with NRP though, that the X1 party system could do with another round of tweaking. Snap centre has improved the experience but it's still not quite as easy to use as the 360's party system.

Exclusives have been very good so far IMO. DR3, Ryse, PvZ, Powerstar Golf and Peggle were very good launch games I thought. Recently exclusive quality has been exceptionally high with the likes of Horizon 2, SSO and MCC.

This gen I've almost entirely switched to digital downloads. Digital sharing and competitive pricing on MS published games has made that switch very easy. The Android-like OS combined with a disc-less games shelf has been super convenient. Yes, I know the OS is more Windows Phone than Android, but after owning a Windows phone I can not ever force myself to comment on it favourably, so I choose to pretend it doesn't exist. ;)

It still makes me smile when I can walk into my living room first thing in the morning, say 'xbox on' and everything switches on ready, then with a button press resume playing right where I left off the previous night with no loading. Then I can say ' Xbox go to TV' and be watching whatever mindless crap is on at that time until my coffee kicks in and I become a human again. I really appreciate that kind of slick integration.

The launch year summer drought was to be expected I guess, but it gave me some time to mop up my 360 backlog, and GwG has been providing me with plenty of reasons to keep booting up ol' faithful.

It's good to see there are very few hardware issues being reported for either next-gen console, it's certainly a stark contrast to last gen.

Combined with strong sales for both consoles I'd say this gen has launched quite splendidly.

I don't get people saying they don't like 'remasters' the same could be said for anyone who upgrades their PC...why do they bother? They want to experience their favourite games with better graphics and are prepared to pay a premium to avoid the hassle of PC upgrading/technical issues. Last gen was getting very long in the tooth - as good as GTAV & LoU looked the remasters have shown that and I've loved replaying LoU (and will start GTA tonight!).

The reason I got a PS4 at launch? I like to have new toys, I ususally buy all the consoles but this time I'm waiting for a bargain bucker WiiO & XBO, for me the exclusives are the icing on the cake, but I invested in the PlayStation because of the exclusive games I played last gen (LBP, LoU, Singstar) and PS+.

The extras I've got this gen are a better OS, more features (share/streaming etc) and a tantastic controller upgrade. FTR, I love chilling and watching folk play via the PS4 - if I have a spare 20/30 mins or want to see a game I'm interested in - or watch the latest alpha/betas being tested it's perfect.

I think my purchase was worth every penny.

I am also a bit curious now what are people thinking about the Wii U, 2 years after release. It's like its dead. It gets almost zero mention in the console forum

I think the extended length of the last generation helped create an itch to upgrade also.

Definitely. Some people have had them for 6/7/8 years or maybe even more, people will want something new after all that time, it definitely started to get stale and long in the tooth. Plus for the 360 only users, TLoU bundle was very convenient, getting one of the best games of last gen in an even better form helped. Just getting something shiny and new you've been anticipating, possibly for a few years, could have driven it.

Back