Finally got a Wii U

-tkf-

Legend
My collection is complete, the other day i purchased a WII U (The Mario Kart 8 Package). I couldn't find any Wii U first impressions thread or FAQ thread, so i am just gonna open a new thread.

I haven't played any games yet, i just took it out of the box so i could upgrade so it was ready for kid when he gets it. It is very Nintendo, the interface etc is very similar to the WII. They make a big deal of the parental controls with several reminders during the setup and on the UI. The UI in itself is fairly responsive, but going to settings that requires some kind of loading(?) does introduce a waiting time. Nothing annoying but compared to the One and PS4 it just that tad more sluggish.

Anytime you need to do something that is related to the system, for example a new wireless connection it's just that bit more slow than what i have become used to from the newer consoles, the 360 and PS3 felt more responsive as well. I guess Nintendos strength is not in the Consoles OS. I was surprised by amount of setup that was done from the controller's screen, the TV was hardly used for anything. I heard about the slow updates to the system, and that was the main reason for getting the console out before my son gets it, it wasn't as slow as feared, but it did take an hour to download and some 15 minutes to install. And of course it did fail the download on the first try :) but it resumes so no harm done. But yes, the update process is sluggish as well.

The controller seems ok, the size is not a problem and it doesn't feel heavy at all, i don't know what i expected from the screen, but it does the job and doesn't feel cheap.

Looking forward to next friday where it´s time for 2 weeks of vacation and the son gets his WII U so it can be ready christmas gifts.. And more updates then :)

Keep me posted, I never got the original Wii and my son has a good age for Nintendo stuff I am thinking.

Its $250 for the mario kart bundle at target this week long with 5% off if you have the red card for any of those on the fence. Its really a unique experiance and a great system to own. I went in this summer for mario kart thinking it would be the only thing I've played but I got mario kart , celda , zombie u and smash brothers and for awhile it was the system i played the most ( the new xbox one exclusives have pushed me back that way)

Keep me posted, I never got the original Wii and my son has a good age for Nintendo stuff I am thinking.

My kid is 9, he just started to play TF2 and he seems hooked, so i am actually very curious if the Nintendo games will catch on again :)

The deal is awesome , the target super Mario 3d land and Nintendo land bundles are DD games however. The good news is that they have a promotion through the end of the year where you get back 10% of your online purchases and those DD will count towards that , so you'd get an extra $5 or $10 bucks epending on how much those games are in the online store.

The deal is awesome , the target super Mario 3d land and Nintendo land bundles are DD games however. The good news is that they have a promotion through the end of the year where you get back 10% of your online purchases and those DD will count towards that , so you'd get an extra $5 or $10 bucks epending on how much those games are in the online store.

That's good to know, thank you. I thought they were pack-in disc games for some reason.

The Wii U Pro Controller can be had for $28 at Kmart. Its an online only deal, where shipping is currently not available, and you're not likely to find available for in store pickup. However, you may be able to get another store to price match.

Picked up the bundle at a Target near me during lunch. Will set it up when I get home, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to setup a NNID directly from the interwebs in the meantime? Is that simply not possible? I only see a Club Nintendo sign-up which appears to be separate based on the Nintendo support pages.

thanks , I had best buy price match it for me , I picked up 3 controllers

here is the link for the digital deluxe promotion https://p.nintendo.net/deluxe/login.do

Thanks for the link.

What did you have to do to get them (Best Buy) to price match, by the way?

I think you have to be in the console to set up a nnid

For bestbuy I just brought my phone in with the kmart page linked. The catch is it has to be in stock when you are price matching.

It's a success, the kid (9) got the Lego Police Undercover game for christmas, and he has literally spent every possible moment of his "play time" on this game. He has that look on his face that i remember from my childhood, uncontrolled joy and excitement. He claims it's the best game he has played, and he has every Lego Game, i really hope they make a second installment of this game.

Back