Wii U retail impressions?

With such a low heat output, the Wii U can more easily be hidden e.g. in a closed cabinet insulating the noise output, with Launch 360 I wouldn't recommend that :)

One thing I don't like so far is terrible download speed. It has been somewhat improved, but still looks like I am only getting 300-400kB at max.

May be caused by that it appears the Wuu's internet wifi is limited to the 2.4GHz spectrum. Around where I live there are simply craptons of wifi networks at that frequency. My wuu picks up and competes for bandwidth with 10+ 2.4GHz networks, but cannot see my 5GHz network. If there are many WLANs around where you live your download speeds will suffer because of it...

Was in the store just now, a full crate of Wii U's with no interest that I could detect (32GB models). Let's call it a 'soft' launch over here. ;)

Inconveniently, the in-store demo had the WuuPad behind glass, with only the old WiiMote available for pick-up-and-play. With Move and Kinect right next to it. First time by the way that I could do a proper in-store test of Kinect, and I found the old Arkanoid version of using your whole body as the pad game quite enjoyable still.

PS3 was set-up with Sorcery.

(and while we're at it, I thought the new professor Layton looked very charming on the 3DS in 3D)

May be caused by that it appears the Wuu's internet wifi is limited to the 2.4GHz spectrum. Around where I live there are simply craptons of wifi networks at that frequency. My wuu picks up and competes for bandwidth with 10+ 2.4GHz networks, but cannot see my 5GHz network. If there are many WLANs around where you live your download speeds will suffer because of it...

Would be odd if true:

To start with, the console has two separate Wi-Fi chips: one for communicating with the local Wi-Fi router and the other exclusively for communication with the GamePad.
The console-to-GamePad link operates exclusively over the 5GHz band, the set of Wi-Fi frequencies with the most channels and the least interference. To talk to the home router, the console can use either 5GHz or the other band, 2.4GHz. If necessary to prevent interference, the console-to-router connection can be forced onto the 2.4GHz band, said Dino Bekis, senior director of Broadcom's Wireless Connectivity Combo unit.

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wirel...ireless-gear-wii-u-streaming-video-future-fun

Doesn't sound like theres a hardware reason why it can't use 5Ghz signal - might be another firmware issue to be sorted down the line? Maybe its gimped at the moment to resolve interference issue they're having wiht the GamePad (seeing as that uses the 5Ghz range exclusively)? Hope they sort it, for future proofing's sake ;)

Either way, the fact its only using 2.4Ghz is not likely the cause for the poor download speeds. The reason is pi$$ poor server performance imo. They need to sort it out.

Saying that, my download speeds are pretty good for WiiU. The big update took 45 mins to d/l and the game updates (NintendoLand, NSMBU) took about 10 mins to d/l and install each. eShop downloads have been fast for me too. Either way, its not likely anything to do with your router/wifi. Its to do with Nintendo's servers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either way, the fact its only using 2.4Ghz is not likely the cause for the poor download speeds. The reason is pi$$ poor server performance imo. They need to sort it out.
Yep. Easily tested and proven by browsing on Wuu or YouTube. It's like PSN's really poor downloads at peak times, but full rate during the day.

Yep. Easily tested and proven by browsing on Wuu or YouTube. It's like PSN's really poor downloads at peak times, but full rate during the day.

Exactly. The decent browser speeds actually makes it even more jarring when you do have to wait for a download.

Also, the browser is so fast for me that it makes waiting to open the eShop or Miiverse seem even more sluggish. Good news is now that the Japanese consumers have experienced it and complained, Iwata has just said in the DQX Mini-Nintendo Direct that the loading/download speed issues "will be addressed". Further proof that we're just beta testers for the Japanese region ;)

Back