• XB1: No

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Wii U: No

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Have not purchased yet. Still waiting for more/better games/offers

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
I own two consoles. PS4 and WiiU.

With the PS4, I'm pretty satisfied. It's my Netflix and BF4 box. I hadn't bought a PS4 game between BF4 last year and COD this year, but I've had plenty fun with it. I'm messed around with the PS+ games, but most of the are "meh" or I've already played them on PC. I'm really looking forward to next years lineup, however, there really hasn't been anything that makes glad I bought it over an X1. If I had kept the X1 pre-order instead, I'd probably be just as happy with it. Back to the PS4, the only things I don't like about it are that it's noisy and the build quality of the controller.

The WiiU has been pretty disappointing, IMO. I bought a refurb for $200. I've picked up SMW3D and Zelda. Both good games, but I find the hardware and gamepad awful. I'm left thinking that I wish I could play my Nintendo games on my PS4 and not have an additional box. Lack of software for the WiiU is pretty disappointing. I'm only waiting for Zelda at this point (maybe X).

It seems to me from your comments, that you aren't finding much in the way of software that you like on any platform. You buy a PS4 and then didnt but a game between BF4 and COD? Heck, just this year I have purchased Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Batman Origins, and Batman AC. If your not finding anything that you like outside of BF and COD, then perhaps your a larger variety of games just mean more games for you "not" to buy. Heck, even PS4 has a better lineup than your taking advantage of.

Wii U and Dreamcast share a lot in common with their software lineups, really strong exclusives, but a lack of support from some of the bigger third party publishers.
I dont know why people make the comparison between DC and WiiU.
The Dreamcast had a vastly bigger selection of quality exclusive games. Its launch line up was far superior too.
The only commonality I see is a dying console of one of the most historical videogame companies that backed it up with franchises that have left their mark in history.

Yeah the comparison to Dreamcast and Wii U outside of the context that both machines are sales failures doesn't really hold. I guess if one were to argue that Ninty should go software only it might make sense.

Wii U has had some pretty good games since its launch, but compared to Wii or Gamecube in their lifetimes the releases are too far and few between. Wii U has gotten less play time than XB1 in my house. It's just so limited in what it can do that the only reason to get a game for it is Nintendo games.

I'm far more satisfied with XB1 now than at launch. The console has gotten some decent exclusives this past year which helped keep my interest. I no longer use Kinect for anything other than voice controls here and there. Sunset Overdive is an awesome game and glad to have picked it up. I'm glad MS is trying to diversify their lineup with exclusives or timed exclusive games. It lets me know they're not giving up without a fight.

As for the PS4. Been satisfied since launch and it has seen greater use in my house than either XB1 or Wii U. I tend to buy all multi-plat games for it. Sony's 1st party offerings so far have been ok but I'm really anticipating next year. LBP3 should satisfy me for a decent bit. My main gripe is about features touted during the February Reveal not ever having come to fruition. But yeah, overall extremely satisfied with PS4 and looking forward to a 2nd year of gaming on it.

I dont know why people make the comparison between DC and WiiU.
The Dreamcast had a vastly bigger selection of quality exclusive games. Its launch line up was far superior too.
The only commonality I see is a dying console of one of the most historical videogame companies that backed it up with franchises that have left their mark in history.

Because its pretty accurate. Perhaps you enjoyed DC's games more than you do Wii U's, but that doesnt change the fact that they have similarities. The best games on Dreamcast were exclusive, the best games on Wii U are the exclusives. Your acting like Wii U's lineup of quality exclusives is short, its not, your just ignoring them, so here we go:

New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
Zelda WW HD
Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country TF
Mario Kart 8
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Smash Bros U
Zombi U

We still have Zelda, Star Fox, X, Splatoon, and Devils Third coming next year, all exclusive. Even though Wii U will end up being a commercial failure, the exclusive games on the platform will most certainly go down as some of the best games of this generation. Its hard to argue that when their games are critically renowned.

Nesh, you forgot:

NBA2k series
NFL2k series
Skies of Arcadia
Sega GT
Sega Bass Fishing
Samba de Amigo
Guilty Gear
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Crazy Taxi
Virtual On
etc,

Let's not kid ourselves here. The quality and quantity of software on the Dreamcast available two years after launch is arguably much better than the Wii U has presently. The fact that both have low sales and have some quirky titles does not a good comparison make. SEGA had finally gotten it right, even if too late, and released a bomb ass console with phenomenal games. They supported the shit out of it with a constant influx of games whether it was original content, sequels, or arcade conversions. It wasn't enough to save them, but damn did they make such a lovely console out of the Dreamcast for the little amount of time it was on the market. And what a beautifully designed machine!

I cannot say the same for the Wii U two years after its launch. There's some great titles on the machine, but the number in the catalog is sorely lacking when compared to the Dreamcast. Nintendo's incompetence with the launch and machine in general show through and through and the market has punished them for that. At least they will be able to weather the storm better than SEGA could and have a chance at another system.

Oops. Sorry. There are so many games I forget many.

Because its pretty accurate. Perhaps you enjoyed DC's games more than you do Wii U's, but that doesnt change the fact that they have similarities. The best games on Dreamcast were exclusive, the best games on Wii U are the exclusives. Your acting like Wii U's lineup of quality exclusives is short, its not, your just ignoring them, so here we go:

New Super Mario Bros U
Pikmin 3
Zelda WW HD
Mario 3D World
Donkey Kong Country TF
Mario Kart 8
Lego City Undercover
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Bayonetta 2
Hyrule Warriors
Smash Bros U
Zombi U

We still have Zelda, Star Fox, X, Splatoon, and Devils Third coming next year, all exclusive. Even though Wii U will end up being a commercial failure, the exclusive games on the platform will most certainly go down as some of the best games of this generation. Its hard to argue that when their games are critically renowned.

It has nothing to do with how much I liked DC games in comparison. In all honesty the list still looks somewhat small and not diversified enough compared to DC's list.
The DC was a true next generational leap in addition to getting a swarm of original IPs and AAA games from various devs. It was a fresh Sega console that introduced fresh experiences including Shenmue and the first true 3D Sonic games. The DC was like having a state of the art arcade machine at home too. The first to give such a powerful impression. It was a pure hardcore fest in direct contrast to Nintendo's casual, kid friendly, family oriented profile.

Most of the games in your list are not much different from what we played on Wii, 3DS and GC already. This diminishes the sense of uniqueness. They revolve around the same Nintendo universe with hardly a reinvention. Its not like all the games in your list were well received either. Zombi U was not received well and we got so many Lego games on the other platforms that it is like it never happened.

Wii U needs more games like Bayonetta 2 and X in order to reach DC levels of recognition. Zelda is indeed promising though. Cant comment on Star Fox because we saw almost nothing. Devil's Third looks uninspiring. Waiting for reviews on the rest

But in true honesty the only Nintendo game so far that appears to be of such scope that it may be considered a true collectible and have the expected production values to compete with the likes of Shenmue or what Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask were in their time is probably Zelda.

edit: My comments dont necessarily have to do with the fan factor of the games you listed or my personal preference. Objectively speaking many of the games you listed are great games. But its irrelevant

Last edited:
Wii U needs more games... in order to reach DC levels of recognition.

Hey, I loved my Dreamcast too and these lists of games are really bringing it all back to me, but to suggest that the WiiU will never attain cult status similar to the Dreamcast is probably wrong. It seems to take an awful lot of slack on this forum by people that have probably never played any of the games.

My view was fairly similar until I actually purchased one about five months ago. I got it for the kids and to be fair it's mostly the kids that play it, but just to see the pure joy they have when they're using that machine, it's something the PS4 and any number of Lego games cannot replicate.

I actually gave them the choice of having the latest Skylanders for PS4 and WiiU and they chose the WiiU. Now these are people that don't understand technical specifications, nor are they influenced by people on forums and websites. They play both machines and have simply decided that Skylanders will be more fun on the WiiU.

(beside the point, I did actually buy the PS4 version)

But in true honesty the only Nintendo game so far that appears to be of such scope that it may be considered a true collectible and have the expected production values to compete with the likes of Shenmue or what Mario 64 or Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask were in their time is probably Zelda.

Wha?? Have you played the WiiU games, because this reads like you haven't.

As I noted I am not talking about fun factor. The reason why your kids chose Skylanders of the WiiU is also irrelevant to the subject of becoming the next Dreamcast

I don't know about the Dreamcast... I had one imported from Japan before it was released over here and I dunno if that list mentioned above is that impressive... Wii U has it beat imo. Soul Reaver launched on everything else too.

edit: I mean it had good games, but many launched on other systems as well, though I guess few them very great until seen elsewhere. haha or maybe I just have sour memories of it as the first Japanese units had crappy triggers that broke super easily and then my machine over heated and died :)

Last edited:
I don't know about the Dreamcast... I had one imported from Japan before it was released over here and I dunno if that list mentioned above is that impressive... Wii U has it beat imo. Soul Reaver launched on everything else too.

edit: I mean it had good games, but many launched on other systems as well, though I guess few them very great until seen elsewhere. haha or maybe I just have sour memories of it as the first Japanese units had crappy triggers that broke super easily and then my machine over heated and died :)
The Dreamcast was the only next generation console released for more than a year. All games were either exclusives or significantly much better than the versions released on the PS1. Many Dreamcast games that were released also on the PS2 came a bit later than the PS2's launch. So in truth the DC was enjoying exclusively the benefits of a next generation console. Even if we remove the multiplatform games the console still enjoyed a lot more exclusives across genres and IPs that could appeal to a wider demographic which of course included mature audiences. the console was enjoying also a huge fanbase of hardcore competitive gamers. Smash Bros U for example can not compete the availability and depth of fighting games on the Dreamcast that saw large crowds competing in World Tournaments such as Street Fighter 3, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 3. These were considered must haves in a time when fighting games were considered killer games and reason to purchase a console. They were next generational and pinnacles of the fighting game genre

The first thing that you would need to accept in order to understand the Wii U to Dreamcast comparison is that Dreamcast has a "cult" following, its is a niche group of gamers, and the same would be true for Wii U. The titles listed for Dreamcast were far more niche than even Nintendo's lineup. Games like Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, and Crazy Taxi didn't put up big sales numbers on the Dreamcast (even though Dreamcast userbase was larger than Wii U currently is), and then even when they moved their biggest Dreamcast games to the other consoles, they were fairly niche there as well. So again, its ok for you to prefer the Dreamcast lineup, and I agree that Sega had a more diverse lineup of exclusives, but the doesn't change the fact that Dreamcast was very niche, as is Wii U, and Wii U will also have a cult following of gamers who revere it as a great gaming console primarily because of its fantastic exclusives. Unlike the Dreamcast, the lineup of Wii U exclusives wont be going multi platform. The majority of great Dreamcast games went multi plat.

It seems to me from your comments, that you aren't finding much in the way of software that you like on any platform. You buy a PS4 and then didnt but a game between BF4 and COD? Heck, just this year I have purchased Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Batman Origins, and Batman AC. If your not finding anything that you like outside of BF and COD, then perhaps your a larger variety of games just mean more games for you "not" to buy. Heck, even PS4 has a better lineup than your taking advantage of.

Since this a console thread, I've only talked about the consoles. I do game on my PC as well and I've picked up games there as well (mainly the Batman's, Dark Souls, and other RPG's). For the console, I mainly buy exclusives and multiplayer games. So when I look at Sony's exclusives for the past year, they've been very disappointing to me. For Nintendo, I've never been a fan of racers or fighting games so neither Smash or Mario Kart does a thing for me. I'm looking to pickup Tropical Freeze at some point, and too bad Yoshi's Wooly World isn't coming out this year.

The Dreamcast was the only next generation console released for more than a year. All games were either exclusives or significantly much better than the versions released on the PS1. Many Dreamcast games that were released also on the PS2 came a bit later than the PS2's launch. So in truth the DC was enjoying exclusively the benefits of a next generation console. Even if we remove the multiplatform games the console still enjoyed a lot more exclusives across genres and IPs that could appeal to a wider demographic which of course included mature audiences. the console was enjoying also a huge fanbase of hardcore competitive gamers. Smash Bros U for example can not compete the availability and depth of fighting games on the Dreamcast that saw large crowds competing in World Tournaments such as Street Fighter 3, Soul Calibur and Virtua Fighter 3. These were considered must haves in a time when fighting games were considered killer games and reason to purchase a console. They were next generational and pinnacles of the fighting game genre

The problem with the Dreamcast lineup imo was that most of those games still came out on competing platforms later on with better versions, in retro perspective the uniqueness of it is reduced to the first party lineup. The relatively short time it was the only next gen console out there does not amount to that much in the end imo. I do have to admit that before I posted, I hadn't seen your list :oops: I only saw the one Sonic posted and thought he only left few out haha, then I saw your post and noticed that there were a bit more there...

Good thread Nesh!

I got a PS4 at launch and overal, I'm very happy with it. The biggest strengths IMO are

- cheap (relative to what I payed for a PS3 or even PS2 at launch!)
- relatively silent most of the time
- clean image quality
- simple adequate UI
- controller is very ergonomic / battery-life sufficient / headset solution very good

It isn't without faults though; For one, the controller suffers serious wear & tear issues on the sticks (the rubber is starting to peel off, which was never an issue with the DS3 at 3 times its age and usage!). I also think it's a step back that this time, only 4 instead of 7 controllers are supported. While it's not a much used feature, it did make the PS3 a perfect party machine when having lots of guests over. Limiting it to 4 controllers seriously limits the appeal. The software offering could also be better; I want more mini games and I'm still waiting for some quality 1st party games (Wipeout, Gran Turismo?).

The UI, while good and simple, IMO is a step back from the PS3. I prefer the clean look of XMB than this new one that pushes social stuff aka Facebook style too much.

All in all, the PS4 is still everything I hoped it would be. There's lots of potential though to make it even better, but on the whole, Sony made the right trade-offs.

The first thing that you would need to accept in order to understand the Wii U to Dreamcast comparison is that Dreamcast has a "cult" following, its is a niche group of gamers, and the same would be true for Wii U. The titles listed for Dreamcast were far more niche than even Nintendo's lineup. Games like Shenmue, Sonic Adventure, and Crazy Taxi didn't put up big sales numbers on the Dreamcast (even though Dreamcast userbase was larger than Wii U currently is), and then even when they moved their biggest Dreamcast games to the other consoles, they were fairly niche there as well. So again, its ok for you to prefer the Dreamcast lineup, and I agree that Sega had a more diverse lineup of exclusives, but the doesn't change the fact that Dreamcast was very niche, as is Wii U, and Wii U will also have a cult following of gamers who revere it as a great gaming console primarily because of its fantastic exclusives. Unlike the Dreamcast, the lineup of Wii U exclusives wont be going multi platform. The majority of great Dreamcast games went multi plat.
Its not a matter of my personal preference. My comments are irrelevant to my preference. I am commenting as an external observer. I dont own a DC. But had experienced the DC at my friends' and valued its games despite that I was a Playstation guy. Years later I revisited my friend's collection of DC games and we were amazed by the crazy quality and amount of games that we could find in the collection.

The difference is:
  • that the games that defined the DC ranged from niche to games with wider appeal
  • the DC had a larger variety of good games across multiple genres
  • Large sales dont necessarily define the post mortem legacy of a console that builds its value as a collectible. So the sales argument doesnt really stand. Neo Geo had comparatively non existing sales too. But the console and its games reach triple values and above on ebay.
  • The DC was receiving a lot more favorable reviews and impressions since the launch despite its sales which is largely thanks to DCs impressive library. The experience was a lot more flawless than WiiU's. DC was also ahead of its time by having a built in modem and an online service. It was technologically impressive and brought a flawless arcade experience to our homes. As a result a more positive and unique experience surround the console's historical image. In contrast the Wii U has a library that is lacking for 2 years, it is technologically outdated and its console experience had flaws in multiple areas. Some persisted and some continue to persist. Its image isnt that positive
  • Being niche or having niche games is just a small part of the picture. I never implied that the DC became what it was because of a mainstream appeal. The large variety and constant release of exclusive and third party quality games did as well as the profile of these games. These made the console attract a demographic which was widened from strictly Sega loyals to hardcore and mature gamers. Sega was building a hardcore AAA image with the DC. In contrast the Wii U is limited to Nintendo loyals, casuals and youngsters due to Nintendo marketing the console as a family oriented console. The niche demographics is quite different between the two.
  • Regarding what games went multiplatform your comment is too generic and unspecific. The majority of great DC games went multiplatform because it had a larger amount of games. This is true for almost every console that had a large support. Its natural. Regardless even if we take out the third party multiplatform games there were still more good exclusive games developed by Sega (and not) for the DC than games developed by Nintendo (and not) for the Wii U. These games were even more unique than Nintendo's constant dedication to Mario and Zelda experiences which arent very different from past Nintendo experiences. In addition many of the first party multiplatform games on the DC became multiplatform years later. Some were even being released for the first time on the PS3/360. Those that were released on other platforms during the PS2/GC/XB era were released years after it died.

Thats a well written post on why you think the Dreamcast is better than the Wii U, but it doesnt change the fact that they are both destined to be niche consoles, and thats the similarity I was drawing upon.

that the games that defined the DC ranged from niche to games with wider appeal

You mean niche games like Wonderful 101 (as well as many Indie titles) and games with more widespread appeal like Mario Kart, or two Call of Duty games and two Assassins Creed game. Yea, no variety in Wii U's lineup....LMFAO

The DC was receiving a lot more favorable reviews and impressions since the launch despite its sales

You mean similar to how despite low sales Wii U could have three games this year that could be game of the year nominees, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Bayonetta 2.

Being niche or having niche games is just a small part of the picture

Its the primary similarity that I was using to compared the two. Not sure why you are so against the comparison. Two consoles with great games that ultimately wont/didnt sell very well.

Regarding what games went multiplatform your comment is too generic and unspecific.

Sonic Adventure 1 + 2, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi, Resident Evil CV, Dead or Alive 2, just some of the console defining experiences Dreamcast offered.

Sega was building a hardcore AAA image with the DC.

Perhaps thats what they were trying to do, but they werent successful at it. Sales for Dreamcast went into the tank shortly after launch. They rebounded a bit when they dropped the price to $99, and then hardware started to move, but it was to late, and Sega was out of money.

Again, Wii U is niche, and the Dreamcast was niche. Will the Wii U's userbase look back on the console as fondly as Dreamcast userbase looks back on it? I dont know. What I do know, is that its popular to talk positively about the Dreamcast and its not popular to talk positively about the Wii U. It makes me wonder where all these Dreamcast supporters were back in 1999 and 2000 when Sega needed them to support their console.

Lets face it, one of the reasons why the DreamCast got a cult-like following is because it was so easy to pirate the software. If it weren't for simply burning the game disc or booting from a pirate-bootdisc it wouldn't have had the same following.

I got the impression from the web (not having seen these videos myself) that GameSpot guys prefer PC, and if they really have to choose, then the PS4 is the least badly performing PC among the consoles. Will be interesting to see if my opinion changes after I've had a chance to see the videos. ;)

Back