Wii U retail impressions?

Wii firmware updates took a long time because the Wii could only download at about 100KB/s.
Seriously? How is that even possible? I can't even begin to imagine where the bottleneck for such a horribly low limitation lies.

Btw, still waiting for some concrete, hands-on information about fan and drive noise of this thing. Seriously guys, has nobody here actually bought a wuu?

Seriously? How is that even possible? I can't even begin to imagine where the bottleneck for such a horribly low limitation lies.

Btw, still waiting for some concrete, hands-on information about fan and drive noise of this thing. Seriously guys, has nobody here actually bought a wuu?

Does he mean Wii or WiiU. Cos he said Wii.

WiiU has N WiFi so I doubt it can d/l only at 100kb/s. Most likely some were slow due to the servers trying to cope with so many downloads on day one. Entirely Nintendo's fault, too.

Does he mean Wii or WiiU. Cos he said Wii.
He said wii, so I presume he meant wii... Even though wii only supports b/g wifi, it should still be able to crack well above 100kb/s, unless the underlying hardware design is just horribly, horribly gimped. Then again, the new I/O in wii was kludged onto an existing, ancient console design, so maybe nintendo/ati had to re-purpose some existing, really slow internal bus in order to tack USB and wifi onto there.

Wii U Miverse hacked?

It seems someone accidentally got into the Debug menu system of the WiiU and has ability to reset any admin accounts or delete them completely. Source: (NeoGAF thread: I think I either hacked the Wii U Miiverse or I am stupid.)

If this is even remotely true, I would not trust Nintendo with any of my information. This happened for someone accidentally, I shiver to imagine what true hackers would manage to be able to do should they target the Nintendo systems.

He said wii, so I presume he meant wii... Even though wii only supports b/g wifi, it should still be able to crack well above 100kb/s, unless the underlying hardware design is just horribly, horribly gimped. Then again, the new I/O in wii was kludged onto an existing, ancient console design, so maybe nintendo/ati had to re-purpose some existing, really slow internal bus in order to tack USB and wifi onto there.
Yeah I don't know why Wii was so slow but ~120KB/s was its limit IIRC. The wifi seemed to be 802.11b-only because the access point could not be in G-only mode. But even with 802.11b rates, it should have been capable of ~3 megabits/s.

It seems someone accidentally got into the Debug menu system of the WiiU and has ability to reset any admin accounts or delete them completely. Source: (NeoGAF thread: I think I either hacked the Wii U Miiverse or I am stupid.)

If this is even remotely true, I would not trust Nintendo with any of my information. This happened for someone accidentally, I shiver to imagine what true hackers would manage to be able to do should they target the Nintendo systems.

oh deary me....

if it was true, looks like they sorted it pretty sharpish at least. Apparently the can fix miiverse on the fly. Good thing too!

Gathering information on various sites, it would seem the following are true:

1. Account is tied to the console. You can't log into multiple devices with the same ID

2. Current ports have issues (often run version) than 360/PS3 versions. To me this states the hardware is lacking. Just brute force should reward equal or better performance than 360/PS3 if the hardware was powerful enough.

From Nintendo directly:
How to Deactivate a Nintendo Network Account

Important Note!

Deactivating a Nintendo Network Account will also delete the following information associated to the account: Nintendo eShop activity and balance, Friend List, Miiverse activity, and registered e-mail address.
Deactivated accounts cannot be restored.
The username associated to a deactivated Nintendo Network Account cannot be reused to create a new Nintendo Network Account.

No using Nintendo Network Account on other systems

This launch keeps getting worse and worse for consumers. It's a total cluster fuck. The Nintendo Network Account is locked to a single individual console and can not be used on other consoles. So much for playing games at a friends place under your own profile. Once again, this is something XBox Live (and likely PSN too) has had for years. [Source]

Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?

Answer:
No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

No per-account saves.

It also seems some games do not respect user accounts for saved game info and instead use a single set of save game slots. In particular, Nintendo Land has a single save slot and New Super Mario Bros. U has three save slots for the entire console even if you have the full twelve users. [Source]

...So, how's the fan noise? :p

I'm still waiting for this too! I think RichIGN mentioned it once in passing as being inaudible - but I've not seen anythign to back this up and now I cant remember if that was a tweet or in an article.

Shame about not being able to log in on other systems, but they did say this in an FAQ on their site before launch. It'll take time for Nintendo to realise they need these things in the system as they're hyper paranoid about piracy/hacking (ironic seeing as they apparently left their debug open on miiverse where anyone could get in ;)). Unfortunately in that time some people will be put off.

This launch keeps getting worse and worse for consumers. It's a total cluster fuck. The Nintendo Network Account is locked to a single individual console and can not be used on other consoles. So much for playing games at a friends place under your own profile. Once again, this is something XBox Live (and likely PSN too) has had for years. [Source]

So....if your console is busted.....your whole game progresses and purchases are lost??? :???:

So....if your console is busted.....your whole game progresses and purchases are lost??? :???:

At the moment that seems to be the case, yes. I've read that this is also something they're looking to change down the line. Again - they seem to have rushed this thing into service, which is odd given the amount of time they had since announcing the thing!!

I expect they'll go a similar route as with PS3 (where you have a limited number of systems which you can activate, 2x I think) For example I'm on system number 2 atm - so thats my last one I beleive. I've this one gimps on me, I'm unsure what to do!). I can't see nintedo letting you log into as many as you like, sO I'd expect them to use Sony's approach once they get their act into gear ;)

Activating a PS3 (for running download games) and logging into PSN on a PS3 are different things though.

Things will improve here - they were alerted by their Western partners that some aspects about their online experience were very sub-par, and just started with fixing them too late. If you read the Source, they already mention this will change in future.

That said, it's still very sloppy.

I expect they'll go a similar route as with PS3 (where you have a limited number of systems which you can activate, 2x I think) For example I'm on system number 2 atm - so thats my last one I beleive. I've this one gimps on me, I'm unsure what to do!). I can't see nintedo letting you log into as many as you like, sO I'd expect them to use Sony's approach once they get their act into gear ;)

Regarding the PS3 activaion/deactivation there is a Sony site (I forgot which one) which you can use to log in and view the activated devices. From there you can deactivate any unused devices in case one of your consoles dies. :)

Activating a PS3 (for running download games) and logging into PSN on a PS3 are different things though.

Things will improve here - they were alerted by their Western partners that some aspects about their online experience were very sub-par, and just started with fixing them too late. If you read the Source, they already mention this will change in future.

That said, it's still very sloppy.

I see. Although isn't the worry about not being able to log into NN on a different system is that your D/Ls are lost - thats why I made the connection but you're right they are different things.

I've read a little more on this and it seems the NN account is linked to one console. That doesn imply it can be "unlinked" somehow but doens't look like this can be done atm.

Edit: above post from Nesh - oh yeah thats right - forgot about that, cheers :)

I think they're simply rolled this thing out too quickly. There's only so many things you can say you're "still working on"....

I'm trying not to get too hyperbolic when discussing the console/launch (as GAF has seemingly imploded with joy that WiiU is having some issues at launch, which is quite sad really) but here's my judgement based on watching live feeds, reading forums/articles etc:

Cons:
-1GB d/l to kick things off. Not ideal.
-Install times for some have been looong.
-Leaving the debug open (since fixed). Worrying to say the least.
-O/S seems poorly optimised atm (slow loading times).
-NN account currently tied to one system. Needs sorting asap.
-Can only request friends inside Miiverse. Needs to be made available from friendlist aswell.
-Although some texture res improvements on Batman are visible, shadows seem to have low res until you're up close. Framerate is poor in places too. This = shoddy port job.
- In the O/S the loading bar and "time remaining" aren't in sync (its on Windows time!) grrrr.
Edit: - Some isolated problems with video output. However isolated it may be, its bad.
Edit2: - Apparently more than just one person was stupid enought to turn off their WiiU whilst it was updating. It will brick it...

Pros:
-Hands on impressions have largely been very positive
-I like the look of the O/S (besides the juddery loading times)
-Miiverse concept appears to have been justified. Looks ace.
-Browser looks slick as sh*t
-Gamepad is very resposive (off screen play is seemless)
-Netflix App looks awesome
-eShop looks very good, nice UI & lots of content from day one. (lets hope it stays updated >.>)
-Games seem fun (NL especially)
-Dat system music ;)
-COD BLOPS 2 actually looks better than the PS3 version (apart from the shadow thing occasionally cropping up) Not quite as smooth as 360 though from what I've read.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment that seems to be the case, yes. I've read that this is also something they're looking to change down the line. Again - they seem to have rushed this thing into service, which is odd given the amount of time they had since announcing the thing!!
And I thought Sony's execution of an online service was poor and rushed! With all these years fo Live and PSN woes, Nintendo learnt nothing? :???:

I expect they'll go a similar route as with PS3 (where you have a limited number of systems which you can activate, 2x I think) For example I'm on system number 2 atm - so thats my last one I beleive.
For clarification in addition to other responses, PSN can have an unlimited number of accounts on a PS3, and an account on an unlimited number of PS3s (well, it may be limited to 256 or something, but effectively unlimited). You can download the same game on up to two systems (used to be five) so that you can have a game you play at home and also around a friend's house. You can activate and deactivate your account on consoles via the console or website. You used to be able to go on the store and view your previous downloads/purchases and redownload them at will onto new activated PS3s, but that options seems to have been removed or hidden. You cannot lose your content from PSN. If all your PS3's die, deactivate them and redownload onto the new console.

By comparison, Wii U appears to not allow you to play around some else's house without taking your console with you, and Nintendo aren't yet ready to manage redownloads. I'm sure they'll sort that eventually - maybe Wii U is so damned reliable they never even thought about the console bricking. :p. But it's a really bad starting position when trying to appeal to core gamers. Wii owners probably won't know any better, unless they've also used PS360.

I'm trying not to get too hyperbolic when discussing the console/launch (as GAF has seemingly imploded with joy that WiiU is having some issues at launch, which is quite sad really)
Well, Nintendo are being judged against stiff competition. The negatives are demonstrative of really poor execution. Some people will vested emotional interests will delight in this, but the reaction shouldn't come as a surprise. Nintendo will probably fix a lot of the problems, but as an new platform, isn't this one of the worst releases ever? Personally I regard the horror stories as indicative of a really lousy state of the technological industries. QA is getting worse and worse and worse. You can't even trust a new product to launch in working conditions. It'll be interesting to see what state XB3 and PS4 launch. MS can carry on with what they've got, but I think Sony have to do a lot of restarting. Unless they stick an ARM in there and run Vita code for the apps and services. ;)

And I thought Sony's execution of an online service was poor and rushed! With all these years fo Live and PSN woes, Nintendo learnt nothing? :???:

Yeah thats the biggest problem so far by miles. Everything else can be put down to teething problems, but this one looks like an oversight. Someone will brick their console, and probably already has (I read of some fool unplugging the console during the update - but they deserve to brick it for that ;)) and they'll be stuffed until nitnendo provides some clarity on the subject.

For clarification in addition to other responses, PSN can have an unlimited number of accounts on a PS3, and an account on an unlimited number of PS3s (well, it may be limited to 256 or something, but effectively unlimited). You can download the same game on up to two systems (used to be five) so that you can have a game you play at home and also around a friend's house. You can activate and deactivate your account on consoles via the console or website. You used to be able to go on the store and view your previous downloads/purchases and redownload them at will onto new activated PS3s, but that options seems to have been removed or hidden. You cannot lose your content from PSN. If all your PS3's die, deactivate them and redownload onto the new console

By comparison, Wii U appears to not allow you to play around some else's house without taking your console with you, and Nintendo aren't yet ready to manage redownloads. I'm sure they'll sort that eventually - maybe Wii U is so damned reliable they never even thought about the console bricking. :p. But it's a really bad starting position when trying to appeal to core gamers. Wii owners probably won't know any better, unless they've also used PS360.

Thanks for clarifying. I've actually read all that before I think but completely forgot it was that simple now. This is definitely the route Nintendo will have to go - but like I said: how many users will be put off in the meantime??

They certainly aren't going to win over any 360/PSN users like that.

Well, Nintendo are being judged against stiff competition. The negatives are demonstrative of really poor execution. Some people will vested emotional interests will delight in this, but the reaction shouldn't come as a surprise. Nintendo will probably fix a lot of the problems, but as an new platform, isn't this one of the worst releases ever? Personally I regard the horror stories as indicative of a really lousy state of the technological industries. QA is getting worse and worse and worse. You can't even trust a new product to launch in working conditions. It'll be interesting to see what state XB3 and PS4 launch. MS can carry on with what they've got, but I think Sony have to do a lot of restarting. Unless they stick an ARM in there and run Vita code for the apps and services. ;)

Oh I understand why people are concerned and reacting a certain way - I just dont get the glee and the trolling that accompanies it. Same with RRoD and PSN hacking woes: You really learn which forum users are probably 12 year olds in these situations.

Theres been problems, yes. As with any launch I can remember. But I dont think its one of the worst releases ever. Most of the 'problems' are just potential problems rather than realised ones. As I said in my pros and cons list there's a lot of positivity around the launch from people who actually have the console. Most of the negative things we're hearing are things we already knew (the account being locked was in one of their FAQs, no TVii day one etc, the update), and the rest - while troubling - are being blown up on forums usually by people who dont have the console. Remember we're in a bubble here.... A bubble of people who are enthusiastic enough to spend the day on forums talking about games. Thats a tiny proportion of the people who actually play games and always has been. As usual the vast majority of console users wont actually know there are any problems until somthing terrible happens and the media pick it up.

I don't know of anyone who's console has bricked and has lost anything, I dont know of any personal imformation being hacked - in fact I dont know of any dissapointed hands on experience tbh (besides the guy who unplugged during an update), but there's still time for that I suppose...

Its not a great launch by any means, and Nintendo has continually missed opportunities to capitalise on the hype surrounding this console - but somehow things always seem worse on the interent (neogaf ;)).

Shifty Geezer said:
You used to be able to go on the store and view your previous downloads/purchases and redownload them at will onto new activated PS3s, but that options seems to have been removed or hidden.

That's still there. You can both access them through the regular store (which will show you if you've previously purchased an item you're viewing, and offer an instant download), or through your download list, which is the same as on the previous store. Apparently, search options that allow you to search/make selections from your download list is coming in one of the future updates. The new store, being an HTML5 App now instead of built into the Firmware, allows for far more easy updates.

There was actually a nice anniversary Blogcast on the Playstation Blog that had all big Sony Playstation guys passing by, including Yoshida, Jack Tretton, and Grace Chen, and the latter talked about these things in a fair bit of detail.

Anyway, not to drift too far off: yeah, there's some work for Nintendo here, though I don't think a lot of 360/PS3 owners will abandon the PS3 or 360 at this point (too long on the market, too much investment), so a Wii U purchase would likely be an additional purchase.

Back