Why do brits say "aluminium" instead of...

And for God's sake, what's with Word and the autocorrect of "Cheque" to "check". It is SO friggin annoying.

A cheque is that thing u write an amount on and sign to pay someone, check is a verb. Different things.

I wrote an editorial a few years ago (can't remember what it was used for), in which I claimed that people nowadays only think something is correct when Word says so, no matter what a dictionary or whatever has to say about it.

And yes, in Dutch there are quite some annoyingly incorrect "corrections" as well, most of which are now proclaimed to be the right way by almost everyone.

I never use a spelling checker, mostly because of that. It annoys me. Sorry if I make the occasional error! But almost everyone feels the need to do so, in my experience.

"Nukaler" is the one that really raises my hackles lately.
bleh2.gif

To be fair, he says "new-queue-lar", not "new-k-lar'

Jimmy Carter did the same thing. I think its a southern thing.

I can actually remember almost everyone saying Nuclear in the same way as Georgie-boy back when I was a kid. Perhaps it was just because we were kids!

Another thing that gets my goat is the way in which 'disrespect' seems to have become widely used as a verb in recent years. It might actually be a correct usage for all I know but it still sounds wrong to me. I always prefer to show disrespect to someone myself. ;)

Russ, I can't quite think what you mean when you say we English mispronounce 'China'. I can only think of one way to say it and can't think of an alternative pronunciation! :?:

Mariner said:
Russ, I can't quite think what you mean when you say we English mispronounce 'China'. I can only think of one way to say it and can't think of an alternative pronunciation! :?:

Yes, I've never heard "Chiner" from anyone round here - it's always "Chine-a".

Mariner said:
Your BBC radio news people regularly refer to it as "Chiner". Perhaps its not super distinct, but there is an 'r' sound at the end. I've heard it from quite a number of Brits, actually.

london-boy said:
And for God's sake, what's with Word and the autocorrect of "Cheque" to "check". It is SO friggin annoying.

A cheque is that thing u write an amount on and sign to pay someone, check is a verb. Different things.

seconded, thirded and fourthed! I hate those dman red wavy under lines!

RussSchultz said:
Mariner said:
Your BBC radio news people regularly refer to it as "Chiner". Perhaps its not super distinct, but there is an 'r' sound at the end. I've heard it from quite a number of Brits, actually.

Yeah we think we're saying "china", but its "chy-nuh" which sounds like it has an "r" on the end.

Ah the famous gutteral stop.

China will be pronounced differently depending on your regional accent. I'm a Chiner meself, where I grew up it was Choy-nerr, where I live now it's Choy-no'h. In Liverpool it'd be Chin-nehh. In the mid-North it's Chah-nah.

Mariner said:
nutball said:
In the mid-North it's Chah-nah.

E by gum - tha's reet (as my brother-in-law might say). :)

at'eh reet sitheh? Chah-nah is more manchester than yorkshire, but I kinda say stuff like that by accident. My accent is hard to place because my mum is from hebbden bridge which is right on the borderline between yorkshire and evil lancishire.

Back