Why did Sony use a G70 RSX instead of something better? *spawn

Yeah, but those VMX units though. It's also important to consider Xenon has about the same transistor count as the early single core Athlon 64. Good luck expecting that to run anything late gen beyond single digits.

I got out a HD 2600XT for some WinXP DXVA experimentation yesterday but also thought I would try some games at 1280x720 again. I ran STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, Half Life 2 (2004 engine edition) and Dishonored.

With the original HL2 release it can handle 1920x1200 with no AA at near 60fps much of the time. It struggles to maintain 720p 20-30fps with the other games. Any layered effects brings it down more. I think I'm going to revise my opinion that the card is comparable to Xenos. It seems too fillrate limited.

I got out a HD 2600XT for some WinXP DXVA experimentation yesterday but also thought I would try some games at 1280x720 again. I ran STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl, Half Life 2 (2004 engine edition) and Dishonored.

With the original HL2 release it can handle 1920x1200 with no AA at near 60fps much of the time. It struggles to maintain 720p 20-30fps with the other games. Overdraw with these games really kills it. I think I'm going to revise my opinion that the card is comparable to Xenos. It seems too fillrate limited.

You'd have to match the 360's settings and performance in these games. Though the 2600XT shouldnt be as performant, from memory its a less capable GPU (below 200GF, yes GFLOPS) :p
Do you have a X1900 class gpu? Wish i had the time....

You'd have to match the 360's settings and performance in these games. Though the 2600XT shouldnt be as performant, from memory its a less capable GPU (below 200GF, yes GFLOPS) :p
Do you have a X1900 class gpu? Wish i had the time....
I have a X1950XTX. That is more like a HD 2900 Pro in performance.

I have a X1950XTX. That is more like a HD 2900 Pro in performance.

I have both X1900XT and X1950XTX, i dont remember which one is in the FX55 system. The thing is stuffed away under alot of other electronics.
Its probably an open and shut case though, still later games might favor the 360's gpu architecture.

I have both X1900XT and X1950XTX, i dont remember which one is in the FX55 system. The thing is stuffed away under alot of other electronics.
Its probably an open and shut case though, still later games might favor the 360's gpu architecture.
The X1650XT with its 8px/clk output would be my choice as a comparison to the console.

And from the HD generation I'd go with a 4650 perhaps but that seems like it would be too beefy on the ALU front.

Back