Where is the X360 production bottleneck?

AlphaWolf said:
I'm quite serious, gamestop and eb account for ~4000 locations and I doubt they are the only places that took preorders. Others have provided anecdotal evidence of places receiving products or expecting to receive products, yet you choose to ignore or attempt to discredit those sources, while favoring the my friend who knows a guy at target heard that evidence.

I don't know if MS is meeting their target numbers, but I have seen no compelling evidence to say that they aren't shipping units weekly.
I don't get it; as long as they are shiping weekly to the few places that did do preorders you figure they might be meeting their target numbers? That seems like a stretch to me, but regardless it is still a far cry from keeping supply in line with demand.

A few places? If gamestop and EB make up 4000 locations, and they each get 5-10 consoles on a weekly basis, that's 80,000-160,000 by the end of the year. And that's not even counting the big boys like walm-mart, bestbuy etc

And Newsflash! Supply has NEVER kept up with demand at a console launch.

kyleb said:
I don't get it; as long as they are shiping weekly to the few places that did do preorders you figure they might be meeting their target numbers? That seems like a stretch to me, but regardless it is still a far cry from keeping supply in line with demand.

Keeping "supply in line with demand" and a "produciton problem" are 2 different things entirely.

That is true, but only to the point that MS may have underestamated demand. So again, the question is, do you honestly think MS figured that the launch shipment quench demand for the week it has been since most have seen any supply? I mean, last I heard, they weren't planing to be the next 3DO.

kyleb said:
That is true, but only to the point that MS may have underestamated demand. So again, the question is, do you honestly think MS figured that the launch shipment quench demand for the week it has been since most have seen any supply? I mean, last I heard, they weren't planing to be the next 3DO.

Launching a console and meeting demand have nothing to do with each other cause try as the console producers might , they are not going to meet demand .

Remember the lines of people in japan trying to get ps2s only to be turned away ?

Yea that is what happens at every console launch. I remember getting my gamecube at a best buy and watching others leaving the store empty handed .

It happens all the time .

MS is probably well aware of how many units they have already sent to the resellers, how many are sitting on Jumbos, and how many are sitting on ships somewhere around the seas. They also know how many they're producing each they. If there would be a serious supply problem, then denying it and even making confident claims about their expected sales would get back to them pretty hard (like, MS stock price drops down a fair bit) - and this is something I'm sure they wouldn't risk.

The only 'problem' really is the demand. Seems like people on all the internet forums seriously underestimated it... so now it becomes a tool for the MS bashing campaign? Absurd... ;)

Laa-Yosh said:
The only 'problem' really is the demand. Seems like people on all the internet forums seriously underestimated it... so now it becomes a tool for the MS bashing campaign? Absurd... ;)

Exactly. I have yet to see anybody supply any factual information that either MS supplied less units than promised to retailers, or that MS has so far shipped less units than they expected to ship.

Failing that, any discussion about supply problems (let alone production problems), is absurd.

It's called a strawman. Let's argue about something that isn't true and see who's set of "facts" makes the most sense. OH! It must be the HDD that is the bottleneck! Ignore the fact that we have no proof of any bottleneck whatsoever. OH! It must be shipping method that is the bottleneck! Ignore the fact we have no proof of how many units were shipped or are being shipped in via any specific method.

Oh boo, hoo. You can't get an X360? Your friend couldn't get one? Must be because the factory in china was hit by a mysterious haze and all the workers turned into zombies!

Show us some numbers that says MS promised EB Games 100 units on launch, EB Games took 100 preorders and MS only gave them 30 units at launch.

THEN we can talk about a supply problem.

Or show us some numbers that says MS initially wanted to produce X amount of "Core" systems and Y amount of Premium systems but iis now producing X+100 amount of "core" systems and Y-100 amount of Premium systems, if you want to theorize about a HDD manufacturing problem.

kyleb said:

So by that logic, if only 10,000 people in north america wanted a 360, there would cease to be a production problem?

Laa-Yosh said:
MS is probably well aware of how many units they have already sent to the resellers, how many are sitting on Jumbos, and how many are sitting on ships somewhere around the seas. They also know how many they're producing each they. If there would be a serious supply problem, then denying it and even making confident claims about their expected sales would get back to them pretty hard (like, MS stock price drops down a fair bit) - and this is something I'm sure they wouldn't risk.

QFT

People need to quit whining and rumor mongering, this crap happens every launch and is nothing new...

expletive said:
So by that logic, if only 10,000 people in north america wanted a 360, there would cease to be a production problem?
No, and I'm not even going to try and guess how you came up with that.

kyleb said:
No, and I'm not even going to try and guess how you came up with that.

He is trying to ponit out to you that if the demand for the xbox 360 was 10 million units this november and ms made 9 million , there wouldn't be production problems. Its just them not meeting demand .

Right now there most likely is not a production problem but they aren't meeting demand .

See demand and production has nothing to do with each other .

Gamestop claims to have gotten less units than their were promised by MS. The people claiming that nothing whatsoever went wrong in the lead up to the launch are the ones smoking something.

DemoCoder said:
Gamestop claims to have gotten less units than their were promised by MS. The people claiming that nothing whatsoever went wrong in the lead up to the launch are the ones smoking something.

Considering i've worked at gamestop for the last 6 years i'd like to see where they have said tis .

Point me to a press release please .

Everyone who had a guarnteed sku has gotten thier system .

Well we know the stores didn't get what they were supposed to, everyone told me that the night of launch(canada)

Futureshop southside was supposed to get 180 systems according to teh leaked documents, more than anywhere in canada, they ended up getting ~100. Giving out only 50, the other 30 went to pre-orders, and 20 were cores.

So numbers were lower than promised, but they are still claiming to be on track.

kyleb said:
Sure it does, but again, if the manfuacture has supply covered then more come in on the next truck.

You realize that it would completely insane to have supply capacity enough to handle the demand at launch. There are two ways to be able to handle the demand at launch. 1 stock up for several months, 2 invest in enough capacity to handle the peak in the demand around the launch. Both solutions are unacceptable, as they will increase cost and/or reduce revennue.

Yes I realize this; but that is completly beside the fact that stores have been getting little to nothing, with a big emphisis on the nothing, since launch. Do you realize that?

kyleb said:
Yes I realize this; but that is completly beside the fact that stores have been getting little to nothing, with a big emphisis on the nothing, since launch. Do you realize that?

Obviously you don't know the first thing about retail . So there is no use explaining things to you .

Back