Where is the X360 production bottleneck?

kyleb said:
You aren't suggesting that MS didn't plan to sell out and just figured what they had out for launch would hold stores over for a week, are you?

What most of us have been saying is that unless you know how the entire dsitribution chain from MS to the shelves of retail stores, there is no way to prove there is some sort of manufacturing problem. They still maintain theyll have 3 million sold in the next 90 days, until that falls well short this really isnt even worth discussing.

And FWIW, I live about 20 miles outside of NYC.

AlphaWolf said:
No, I am suggesting they don't make shipments every day.

Which is why I pointed out the fact that it has been a week and many retialers arent expecting anything for a few more.

expletive said:
What most of us have been saying is that unless you know how the entire dsitribution chain from MS to the shelves of retail stores, there is no way to prove there is some sort of manufacturing problem. They still maintain theyll have 3 million sold in the next 90 days, until that falls well short this really isnt even worth discussing.

And FWIW, I live about 20 miles outside of NYC.

So even if they don't ship any more to the US from now until next year, as long they sell 3 million in 90s you are still going to insist that supply was never an problem? I just want to get an idea of where you are coming from there.

DemoCoder said:
And what's your proof that you have any competency? Microsoft told retailers like Gamestop, EBGames, et al, that they would be getting X units, and they took preorders on that basis. Come launch time, Microsoft was only able to deliver X/2 to X/3 units to this stores.

This means Microsoft delivered less than their own internal guidance told them, and this therefore constitutes a problem, or atleast execution failure. Taking people's money for pre-orders and not being able to deliver them units come launch is a huge failure. The whole raison d'etre of pre-orders is peace of mind, to not have to worry about the ratrace of launch day, to be guaranteed a unit.

You can talk all you want about people's knowledge of manufacturing logistics, but none of that absolves Microsoft of failure to atleast cover their pre-orders.

Are you sure MS guarenteed <X> number of units to retailers or did those chains just stockpile pre-orders so that another store WOULDNT get them? My mall store has about 150 preorders on their list, they got 20 units. Even if MS gave them 25% of what was promised theyre still about 70 short of what they pre-sold.

kyleb said:
So even if they don't ship any more to the US from now until next year, as long they sell 3 million in 90s you are still going to insist that supply was never an problem? I just want to get an idea of where you are coming from there.

No and thats a huge extrapolation becuase clearly they would have to ship more frequently between now and then in order to hit the 3 million #.

This was your initial quote ot which i responded:

kyleb said:
I don't get how anyone can deny that there is a supply problem.

My point was that there is no way we can know that there is some sort of problem for this small sampling period yet you cant understand how everyone doesnt view it as a foregone conclusion. Since no units had shown up in 4 business days, therefore there must be some sort of supply problem?

Another FWIW, according to major nelson's blog:

Major Nelson said:
Visiting family here on the east coast, I took the opportunity over the past couple of days to stop in at various retailers in Southern New England to check out what people were saying about the Xbox 360. One thing I noticed was there is a large amount of incorrect information floating around regarding shipments of units. (One store (incorrectly) told me that ‘Microsoft won’t’ send us anymore until March.’) I double checked with the retail team, and while I can’t speak to each retail outlets specific distribution strategy, I can tell you that we (Xbox) have a weekly replenishment strategy. That means that we have new shipments of Xbox 360’s being sent out each week. If you hear that a store won’t get Xbox 360 from Microsoft until next year, you may want to gently remind your source that we in fact ARE shipping consoles out each week. The moral of the story is be patient and (once again) don’t believe all the rumors you hear.

Sounds like MS is sending out large shipments on a weekly basis which seems to fit in with us seeing more units showing up today.

kyleb said:
Which is why I pointed out the fact that it has been a week and many retialers arent expecting anything for a few more.

I think what you are hearing is that those retailers won't have anything to put out for a few weeks as they have already been spoken for via preorder. Futureshop here said they expected more units this week, but were unsure of quantity and disposition. I am more inclined to believe MS than the guy at futureshop or EB anyway. MS really would have nothing to gain by saying they are shipping units weekly if they are not. If they are producing 10k-20k a day, and you spread that all over NA and europe you are going to see very small numbers, and not necessarily every store will get some every week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Nelson
Visiting family here on the east coast, I took the opportunity over the past couple of days to stop in at various retailers in Southern New England to check out what people were saying about the Xbox 360. One thing I noticed was there is a large amount of incorrect information floating around regarding shipments of units. (One store (incorrectly) told me that ‘Microsoft won’t’ send us anymore until March.’) I double checked with the retail team, and while I can’t speak to each retail outlets specific distribution strategy, I can tell you that we (Xbox) have a weekly replenishment strategy. That means that we have new shipments of Xbox 360’s being sent out each week. If you hear that a store won’t get Xbox 360 from Microsoft until next year, you may want to gently remind your source that we in fact ARE shipping consoles out each week. The moral of the story is be patient and (once again) don’t believe all the rumors you hear.

Sounds like MS is sending out large shipments on a weekly basis which seems to fit in with us seeing more units showing up today.

That actualy is factual in a certian way .

Some stores like the eb by my house has a 160 preorders they have only gotten 20 units . They are saying they wont have any systems to sell till febuary / march . Which can be true as untill they fill the other 140 preorders (which are basicly sold) they can't sell to new people

AlphaWolf said:
I think what you are hearing is that those retailers won't have anything to put out for a few weeks as they have already been spoken for via preorder.
Can you at least give me a little more credit than that? I'm talking about places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target that don't do preorders at all and will put whatever they have on their shelves when they get it.

kyleb said:
Can you at least give me a little more credit than that? I'm talking about places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target that don't do preorders at all and will put whatever they have on their shelves when they get it.

Well when you use words like the vast majority of retailers which you did earlier in the thread, I think you are talking about more than a few places. So no, I am not going to give you any credit.

expletive said:
My point was that there is no way we can know that there is some sort of problem for this small sampling period yet you cant understand how everyone doesnt view it as a foregone conclusion. Since no units had shown up in 4 business days, therefore there must be some sort of supply problem?
My conclusion is that since it has been a full week and the vast majorty of reports show stores not expect any more any time soon, there is bound to be a supply problem. It's not like Turkey Day took MS buy suppise and threw off their plans, clearly they had no intention to keep the stock flowing after launch or there would have been some notable flow sence then. When it comes down to it, there would have been at least as 360s at my local Best Buy for launch as they had PS2's back when it launched , they would have got more in on the next truck when they sold out just like they did with the PS2s. Obviously MS had no intention to meet demand at launch, and at this point it is just a question of when they plan to get there.

kyleb said:
My conclusion is that since it has been a full week and the vast majorty of reports show stores not expect any more any time soon, there is bound to be a supply problem. It's not like Turkey Day took MS buy suppise and threw off their plans, clearly they had no intention to keep the stock flowing after launch or there would have been some notable flow sence then. When it comes down to it, there would have been at least as 360s at my local Best Buy for launch as they had PS2's back when it launched , they would have got more in on the next truck when they sold out just like they did with the PS2s. Obviously MS had no intention to meet demand at launch, and at this point it is just a question of when they plan to get there.

Gamestop has gotten more units in as of today , a bunch of the stores in my area including my own have gotten units .

Gamestop gets the bulk of its shipments on tuesday and thursday.

AlphaWolf said:
Well when you use words like the vast majority of retailers which you did earlier in the thread, I think you are talking about more than a few places. So no, I am not going to give you any credit.
Please pardon my frankness here, but are you serious or are you just trying to be a jackass? I said " places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target" as in the many major chains across the country that very much do make up the vast majoirty of retailers in the nation. So are you honestly trying to dispute this fact with me, or WTF?

jvd said:
Gamestop has gotten more units in as of today , a bunch of the stores in my area including my own have gotten units .

Gamestop gets the bulk of its shipments on tuesday and thursday.
And I'm sure they are just as easy to find as those hacked sidewinder drivers to play CoD2 with a 360 controller that you told us about.

kyleb said:
And I'm sure they are just as easy to find as those hacked sidewinder drivers to play CoD2 with a 360 controller that you told us about.

They are , www.gamecopyworld.com

I've told u a million times where to find them .

But hey whatever you keep on spreading fud all you want .

I'm sure your going to go and believe the target rumor also .

kyleb said:
Please pardon my frankness here, but are you serious or are you just trying to be a jackass? I said " places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Target" as in the many major chains across the country that very much do make up the vast majoirty of retailers in the nation. So are you honestly trying to dispute this fact with me, or WTF?

There are more gamestops than bestbuys . I believe there are about the same amount of targets as there are gamestops

So when you say like you include stores like gamestop and toys r us

kyleb said:

I'm quite serious, gamestop and eb account for ~4000 locations and I doubt they are the only places that took preorders. Others have provided anecdotal evidence of places receiving products or expecting to receive products, yet you choose to ignore or attempt to discredit those sources, while favoring the my friend who knows a guy at target heard that evidence.

I don't know if MS is meeting their target numbers, but I have seen no compelling evidence to say that they aren't shipping units weekly.

the largest shipments are coming in by boat, so anything shipped like 3 weeks ago is just rolling into port now, even if production stopped today they would still be getting shipments in for the next few weeks.

scooby_dooby said:
the largest shipments are coming in by boat, so anything shipped like 3 weeks ago is just rolling into port now, even if production stopped today they would still be getting shipments in for the next few weeks.

I guess I should hear about the recall any day now then, since I got one at launch

Back