When are the 65nm PS3's and XB360's shipping?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by zealotonous, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bomlat

Regular

yes,you are right.
    Where is the 65nm ps2?

2. archangelmorph

Veteran

And the 65nm Casio X500?

3. pascal

Veteran

4. zealotonous

Newcomer

biweekly update request. Any news?

5. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

It'll be a couple of months - that's the latest. ;)

6. Rangers

Legend

So people with old PS3's wont be able to play new games?

Not happening.

7. Rockster

Regular

8. quest55720

Regular

Thanks for the link good news for MS and those waiting for a falcon. I wonder how the xenos 65nm is going.

9. TheChefO

Banned

If that source is true (MS has 65nm now), and they don't drop at least $100 across the board this year, they're idiots that deserve to lose.

10. Todd33

Veteran Banned

I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on here.

11. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Just because MS is receiving shipment of 65 nm chips doesn't mean that 360 is ready to include those chips in its manufacturing.

12. Crossbar

Veteran

I guess you never played a PC game. There are usually quite a few switches you can turn on and off to match your computers capability.

I am not saying this will happen, but if Sony made a new version of a PS3 with an extra working SPU and/or whatever extra capability and exposed those features in the API. It would probably be up to the developers to decide if they are willing to spend some extra efforts on the software to let it sense what hardware version the game is running on and add some extra functions that make use of those capabilities, such as some extra particle effects or whatever.

Adding some video streams handled by the OS may not effect the games at all.

Anyways this is just pure speculation.

13. TheChefO

Banned

Indeed.

But if they are receiving them it's because they ordered them. Thus, they knew they were coming. Thus, they should have designed and manufactured other components by now which would allow using these new chips in shipping xb360's for this fall and significant BOM savings which would allow a $100 price drop.

Again, they deserve to lose if they aren't on the ball with this.

14. Todd33

Veteran Banned

Don't they have to sell through their existing stock before they ship new units? I assume it's like the 60GB PS3s, they have several million to sell before they change the SKU. Surely MS has the same problem and has to use the holidays to flush the system.

15. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

You don't need to change SKU's to sell units with the newer chips in them.

16. TheChefO

Banned

Of course.

But I doubt MS will want to tip their hand either way in this regard and to the general consumer, these machines will likely seem identical. (Yes, this will mean MS will have to take a "hit" financially on these "older" consoles)

The other side of this argument though is the fact that MS doesn't have millions of units sitting in warehouses. MS have leaned out the market since December and their "shipped to retail" numbers prove this fact.

Either way you look at it, if they have the ability to ship 65nm this fall and they don't drop the price to match, they deserve whatever they get for missing such an opportunity.

17. bomlat

Regular

Not only the extra stock,but all of the remained console parts,and they can be many million part for the current modell.
    Not only the cpu/gpu,but the mainboard,heatskins and all other small part.

And the other they have to re-rool all of the supply chainexample,the tool set for the injection molding cost many million $(at least 10) any many month.

18. Todd33

Veteran Banned

I was talking about Sony. But surely MS can't push new units to the shelf when they already have three SKUs out there with the old parts. The retailers only have so much room. So how many units does MS have in the retail channels? I think people are oversimplifying the process and think MS can just make new 360 and throw them on the shelf by fall - where did all the old ones go?

#58 Todd33, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  19. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Again, why do you need new SKU's?

The SKU's, as far as the retailers are concerned are the Core, Pro/Premium, Elite - what is actually inside the cases of the consoles that are housed in those SKU boxes are immaterial, they all perform the same function irrespective of whether they are using 90nm or 65nm chips.

As I've said before, it is entirely likely that they will have a transition period where the current SKU's will remain the same, otwardly, but some may have 90nm chips, some may have 65nm chips, and some may even have a mixture. Only when the transition has fully happen and you have fully stopped wafer production of 90nm and depleted the supply do you think about changing the SKU's.

20. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Do you think that having razor thin to negative margins on the hardware, that MS would adopt of strategy of only releasing 65 nm once production lines have been fully transitioned especially when a price drop is so closely tied to cost?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.