What's the point of the 24 hour Xbox One connect?

Probably from the ability to play any of your games anywhere, anytime. Visit a friend, sign in your gamertag and download one of your DD games to play. You sign out and go home, the DD is still sitting on that console.

24 check prevents it from being used on your friends gamertag.

My best guess.....

Well, a disc gets you DD rights so maybe the system does not differentiate between the two yet.

Which brings up a good idea. DD purchase on main console allows for offline play. If you login at another location it checks your library based on your DD purchases and lets you play (online). Negative is one license could be played at same time.

You missed the point of the current owner first giving away the rights. That would mean login in and kill his license if he didn't before when he returns the rented disc/resells it.
You talked about the costliness of the deactivation check and I commented on that.

Nah, online activation takes care of that.

How does an infinitely long offline mode deactivate a copy with online activation?

I suppose what they could do is make it so that you cannot resell or give away a copy unless your console is online. Which has problems of its own. Imagine someone living out in the country (the only place I can think of where you'll regularly not have internet for over 24 hours at a time) who has to drive 30-60 minutes to get to Gamestop only to sell their game, only to find out they forgot to put their console online.

Regards,
SB

How does an infinitely long offline mode deactivate a copy with online activation?
That is kinda non sequitur. He said the check was necessary to disallow a zillion installs with one disk, I said online activation prevented that.
I suppose what they could do is make it so that you cannot resell or give away a copy unless your console is online. Which has problems of its own. Imagine someone living out in the country (the only place I can think of where you'll regularly not have internet for over 24 hours at a time) who has to drive 30-60 minutes to get to Gamestop only to sell their game, only to find out they forgot to put their console online.
Or they could simply give him the option to online deactivate the game himself.

That is kinda non sequitur. He said the check was necessary to disallow a zillion installs with one disk, I said online activation prevented that.

Which still doesn't prevent that without some method to force the console with the game installed into an online mode in order to deactivate it.

Or they could simply give him the option to online deactivate the game himself.

Sure, but then you just have a similar problem of what if the user forgot to deactivate his copy at home by going online and doing so. Then gets to the reseller and finds out that he can't sell it because it hasn't been deactivated.

The 24 hour check and automatic deactivation on sale are the most transparent and user friendly method. Other than the situation where you wish to sell it directly without going through a used game retailer.

The only argument is that it could perhaps be made a little longer between check-ins. But if they do that, they can basically give up on the idea of ever doing digital rentals.

The alternative is to only have it check when the game is launched, but that would then prevent you from even playing the game if your internet happens to be down when you want to start the game.

Regards,
SB

^ Yep, so many moving pieces to the system that if you change one thing it can have a negative consequence on something else.

If you own the disc copy and gift your rights digitally I guess you can toss the disk. If you allowed the disc in tray offline mode you would be able to actually sell your DD copy and keep playing. Probably why we won't see a disc in tray method.

I am of the growing opinion that this was more about handling DD better with more sharing/away from home uses than straight out DRM. Which then turned into a - how do we prevent that case - fest. I don't think they were prepared for the backlash which was started by they poor massaging, and that led to even more horrible messages.

Sure, but then you just have a similar problem of what if the user forgot to deactivate his copy at home by going online and doing so.
If his home console (assuming for a moment a game is only playable offline on the one it is activated on) is online the retailer can still just deactivate it remotely ...

Another option is to allow players simply to toggle an offline mode which would work like that.

Options and consoles ... silly, I know ... one size fits all :/

If his home console (assuming for a moment a game is only playable offline on the one it is activated on) is online the retailer can still just deactivate it remotely ...

Another option is to allow players simply to toggle an offline mode which would work like that.

Options and consoles ... silly, I know ... one size fits all :/

Which still allows that person to play the game indefinitely as long as the console is offline. It solves nothing. Without some mechanism to force a person online they can, in theory, activate as many games as they want, put the console offline, sell those games, and keep playing the game.

The next person could in theory then do the same thing, and now you have two copies of the game activated in offline mode. At which point that person could resell it, and the next person...etc.

Without a way to force a user online there is no way to actually deactivate a game on that user's system in the event it is sold if the user doesn't want to go online until he's finished playing the game.

Regards,
SB

Which still allows that person to play the game indefinitely as long as the console is offline. It solves nothing.
If it's tagged offline and the console remains offline Microsoft's servers will just treat it as permanently activated and in play ... you can't sell it (or share it for that matter).
Without some mechanism to force a person online they can, in theory, activate as many games as they want, put the console offline, sell those games, and keep playing the game.
The retailer will scan the barcode on the disc and tell him the game can't currently be deactivated so it can't be sold.

The offline tag I suggest is simply a hurdle to take ... to weed out most of the idiots who can't understand the concept that they can't sell that game without online deactivating it first or making sure the console is online when they sell the game to the retailer.

If it's tagged offline and the console remains offline Microsoft's servers will just treat it as permanently activated and in play ... you can't sell it (or share it for that matter).

The retailer will scan the barcode on the disc and tell him the game can't currently be deactivated so it can't be sold.

The offline tag I suggest is simply a hurdle to take ... to weed out most of the idiots who can't understand the concept that they can't sell that game without online deactivating it first or making sure the console is online when they sell the game to the retailer.

I really don't think it's as complicated as all that. Sure, there are benefits in terms of limiting hacking and piracy as a result of the 24 hour check. But as you've all been discussing there are other ways this could have been accomplished.

I think the main point is that MS is purposefully limiting their user base to those customers they perceive as most valuable. If you don't have 24 hour internet access, you are unlikely to be using the console as intended or contributing to their bottom line by purchasing additional services and content.

I mean, has anybody taken the time to read this:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

It's pretty clear who they want as a customer and who they don't. I think all these other reasons that are being suggested are all just icing on the cake to Microsoft. Which is why it doesn't make a lick of difference how they could have accomplished these things another way.

In which case we're right back to what I posted before...

Regards,
SB

Basically it's potentially more trouble and more hassle for the consumer than the 24 hour check ever will be.

Regards,
SB

How would you re-download all the games that have been tagged offline if the original system is broken or stolen, without a lot of extra faff?

At least games can't be stolen now, unless your account is, maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would retailers want to get involved with this system at all? Seems like very low profit for lots of support hassle.

Because the alternative is games go all digital and retailers get nothing. There's a reason why the PC gaming section is barren at most places.

Because the alternative is games go all digital and retailers get nothing. There's a reason why the PC gaming section is barren at most places.

But yet MS aren't the only games console provider and thus your comparison with PC doesn't really hold at all.

I personally believe MS will be taking a slight hit on their platform revenues in order to allow game retailers bigger margins on games and resale, or something along those lines in order to sweeten the deal.

It makes no sense otherwise why retailers would want to support MS with such a convoluted and obtuse mess of a system, that will not benefit anyone else but MS and the game publishers in any way.

There must be more to it in my opinion.

Back