What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

I am not fully agreeable on this.
When MS was buying small talented studios like Ninja Theory, I saw a good sign, where low funded talents will now have the resources to innovate and bring out what they can really do, in the same vain as what Sony did with Insomniac, Guerilla, Naughty Dog and other small studios. These studios showed great promise but by themselves they would have never brought us the stunning games the did.
Buying existing multiplatform powerhouses is the complete opposite of innovation. And I assure you this hasnt stopped at Activision/Blizzard. They will continue.
Exclusive titles provided by the platform holders and the small studios they buy are the real innovators.

Yeah well what your telling is what i ment atleast. MS should/could aquire smaller/talented studios and give them the oppertunity/resources to output quality content, abit like sony does. Buying up a whole/large studio that creates AAA/AA content for 70bn is abit of a way to cheat yourself in/shortcut.

Rumours are MS was hovering around, fanning itself with its chequebook, but SE said, "no."
That was back in the XBOX 1 days. They were trying to do what they are doing now. I wouldnt be surprised if they eventually do it now with companies that back then wouldnt accept

That was back in the XBOX 1 days. They were trying to do what they are doing now. I wouldnt be surprised if they eventually do it now with companies that back then wouldnt accept
No, I remember it was relatively recently. There was a rumor from bankers or something that MS and Sony were look at Sony but Square later denied it.

Would Square Enix help broaden the appeal of the Xbox platform and especially address weaknesses in some demographics? From what I remember even way back with the original Xbox this was largely the impetus of why MS wanted to acquire Square. It's not as if the situation's changed since then either. The Xbox is very competitive against the Playstation (including taking the lead) in some demographics (largely region focused in the US) but is in some cases completely crushed in other regions and sub demographics. This results in a interesting situation in depending on who you asked you could come with the impression that the Xbox is more popular (at least at times) to having no presence against the Playstation.

I guess in Sony's case this could serve to further build the moat around the demographics they have a hold on.

Despite all the evidence to the contrary and the failure of that argument to hold together where the evidence presented trips itself up, you repeat this narrative. Honestly, ignoring all the meat of my posts, the clear pointers to counter-points like MS's accepted second party exclusives, you just throw out an unsubstantiated assertion against people trying to explain their position? Do you honestly consider that good, constructive debate?

"Let's ignore whatever everyone's telling me and instead assume a reality that goes against the evidence because that's what I choose to believe."

What exactly is the point of discussion if one will just take points to be outright lies and not engage in reasoning?

we have people literally leaving out parts of sentences to try and create bias. I don't need to ignore others and I don't agree with what you consider evidence. There is a clear bias against MS and it runs through all of gaming. You can see it on this forum consistently.

Like I said , if sony purchased this company no one would complain on this forum because it's sony. If you want we can take this to one of the threads discussing moderation and bias in this forum

Why would anyone want square?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_game_franchises
sure some big names there in the past (final fantasy, space invaders, tombraider, dragon quest, bubble bobble, thief, arkanoid etc), but their best years are all behind them.
i.e. Im sure its gonna cost more than its worth

Squares issue is they can't release their bigger games on time. But they did have a popular MMO back in the day and their new one was reinvented after flopping and is supposed to be pretty good. The mainline final fantasys still seem to get decent reviews and sell well. I think Dragon quest is hugely popular. The rest is kinda meh. Perhaps someone purchasing them could rein in development time

Like I said , if sony purchased this company no one would complain on this forum because it's sony. If you want we can take this to one of the threads discussing moderation and bias in this forum
I'd rather you just didn't talk about bias in populations, as per the FAQ and principles of good debate. If there's no value to you in a discussion of points because you feel the participants biased/dishonest, then you'd do better to abstain from the conversation rather than just post you think everyone's biased.

Let's try to keep the discussion to "what do you think Sony should do?" while leaving people's reactions being flawed as they might seem to you out of this discussion. That's an entirely different discussion.

Why would anyone want square?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_game_franchises
sure some big names there in the past (final fantasy, space invaders, tombraider, dragon quest, bubble bobble, thief, arkanoid etc), but their best years are all behind them.
i.e. Im sure its gonna cost more than its worth
Oh I m pretty sure its gonna have an impact with the idea alone. Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and Hitman going exclusive are a huge thing themselves. Reviving franchises with good funding too might have an even greater im9act. FF is a huge thing in the JPRG community. Imagine what kind of foothold MS will get in Europe and especially in Japan and how it will affect Playstation.

What sony maybe needs to do is release more exclusive/AAA or even AA titles per year, diversify them somewhat perhaps aswell. They can pretty much do that with what they have.

The purpose of companies is to make money and Sony are making a lot of money with their PlayStation business. Would releasing more exclusive AAA/AA games result in more money? Sony have said previously that exclusives are not necessarily profitable so more exclusive AAA/AA may cost Sony money.

It know it's a weird notion, but the metric of success for commercial companies is still the bottom line - the exception is those people trading on the fortunes of companies (hedging - betting against stocks) but then your interests are rarely the same as the company you're investing in.

I think Sony should just continue the way they are, there is no point in looking to compete with MS, they can't buy their way into dominance like that. They have to be smart and compete in the market rather than just trying to starve it. Let MS spend its billions on clearing out the deadwood, just hope for them that it's not going to be a poison pill reflected in rising costs elsewhere.

Continue with acquisitions of smaller teams that are producing unique content like Spiders for example. Now that the old behemoths have left the market for good there is suddenly a lot of room for teams that can still be creative to fill that gap. I'm pretty sure there will be a steady flow of talent from stale corporate teams to more agile creative ones, it happens in all industries and gaming is no different.

Sony should buy TSMC to make them produce only Playstations :LOL:
Price of that would likely be astronomical. Plus Sony would make more money making chips for other devices than just PS. Also in terms of fairness, buying up ~50% of silicon capacity is a little more impactful than MS buying whatever percentage it has of software. That'd be escalating the arms race to the full nuclear option!

Hopefully these are accurate enough, but some quick visual imagery to provide quick overview of the industry and how diverse and huge it really is. (Thanks to the posts at XboxEra for sharing them).

920d7cc1dcad98b05a5f9a593a1189f157ad0346.jpeg

FJ8zYU6XwAE_Upy

Ugh. Pie charts!

I think I find those charts really unhelpful. How much of the market do these large groups 'own'? How many game purchases? How much overall revenue? How many active players? How many actual staff? etc..

I know you can't get at this information, and I appreciate the effort these folks put in, but even so. I feel like I've been told nothing beyond how many named studios each group has.

Back