What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

RDGoodla

Regular
Can't say, but Sony had every opportunity to finalized negotiations/talks with ZeniMax way before Microsoft came into the picture. Talks of any possible acquisition occurred back in 2019, and stalling around June of this year. Microsoft's gain, Sony's loss...
Sony will cry out for not buying Zenimax. If they have bought Zenimax, Sony would have had many famous IPs and MS might have no interest in buying Activision.

Last edited:
Honestly Sony doesn’t need to respond in any way, except their rumoured game pass alternative. Not sure if the actually need more studios.

Honestly Sony doesn’t need to respond in any way, except their rumoured game pass alternative. Not sure if the actually need more studios.

I'm not sure. Would Sony be able to release at least one big game a quarter continuously ? I think that is the issue and frankly I think you'd need at least 2 big games a quarter to drive enough growth going forward. I think in 2023 and beyond you will see MS able to do so. They now have what 30-32 studios ?

No, they do. If and when Microsoft makes Zen/Act titles more Xbox and PC exclusive... Sony will have problems filling in those game genres gaps that their first-party studios aren't currently producing. If Microsoft purchases another major publisher like Take-Two or EA (or possibly both), then it's going to be a wrap for Sony in terms of software diversity, exclusivity, and longer major third-party title droughts.

So if I was Sony, I would start trying to figure out who's open to negotiations...

Last edited:
Sony will cry out for not buying Zenimax. If they have bought Zenimax, Sony would have had many famous IPs and MS might have no interest in buying Activision.

Sony have a long history of ditching IP relatively quickly. They never grabbed Crash Bandicoot, Wipeout is gone, successful IPs like G-Police and Colony Wars are long forgotten, Jack and Daxter and Spiro are memories. Even just a couple of generations back, Motorstorm, Infamous and Uncharted now look like IPs in Sony's read view mirror. Very few IPs survive multiple generations under Sony. I think Gran Truism may be the only surviving Sony IP from the original PlayStation and Ratchet & Clank and God of War from PS2.

Resistance got two sequels on PS3 then nothing on PS4. Sony seem like the outlier to Nintendo and Microsoft in that they drop IPs for new IPs at the drop of a hat, moving forward and rarely looking backwards. If feels like that don't attach value in established IPs.

No, they do. If and when Microsoft makes Zen/Act titles more Xbox and PC exclusive... Sony will have problems filling in those game genres gaps that their first-party studios aren't currently producing. If Microsoft purchases another major publisher like Take-Two or EA (or possibly both), then it's going to be a wrap for Sony in terms of software diversity, exclusivity, and longer major third-party title droughts.

So if I was Sony, I would start trying to figure out who's open to negotiations...

Ea would be close to 60B right now
Take2 would be in the 30s
Bandi would fetch the mid 20s

I would think for sony Konami , Capcom or Square would be the best purchases. Capcom could be really good for them since they own evo. Lots of good fighting games there . Sega can be another one since they have virtua fighter and fighting vipers.

I would want to see MS get sega however , MS's efforts in backwards compatiblity would make me excited about seeing saturn and dreamcast games at higher resolutions with modern filtering injected in. Of course pixel perfect emulations of previous sega consoles would be nice too

Ea would be close to 60B right now
Take2 would be in the 30s
Bandi would fetch the mid 20s

I would think for sony Konami , Capcom or Square would be the best purchases. Capcom could be really good for them since they own evo. Lots of good fighting games there . Sega can be another one since they have virtua fighter and fighting vipers.

I would want to see MS get sega however , MS's efforts in backwards compatiblity would make me excited about seeing saturn and dreamcast games at higher resolutions with modern filtering injected in. Of course pixel perfect emulations of previous sega consoles would be nice too

If Sony can get Take-Two and maybe Capcom some time afterwards, then they can leverage those IPs more effectively within their ecosystem and be in a better competitive position going against Microsoft's newly acquired IPs.

I'm not sure. Would Sony be able to release at least one big game a quarter continuously ? I think that is the issue and frankly I think you'd need at least 2 big games a quarter to drive enough growth going forward. I think in 2023 and beyond you will see MS able to do so. They now have what 30-32 studios ?

I mean, right now which company releases one big game per quarter? Activision blizzard as a whole released maybe one big game per year with the rare year having two. Blizzard barely releases anything and COD is yearly. Microsoft can make can make cod release every two or three years, and that frees up some of the other studios to work on new games. But that'll still end up being one game per year with staggered releases, assuming they line up that way. And blizzard ... who knows. Blizzard looks like dogshit right now. Hopefully microsoft can turn them around and they can actually release some games.

If Sony can get Take-Two and maybe Capcom some time afterwards, then they can leverage those IPs more effectively within their ecosystem and be in a better competitive position going against Microsoft's newly acquired IPs.

I think once take - two goes up for sale it will create a bidding competition that sony wont be able to handle . MS paid a 40 something percent premium per share on activision and I am sure now in the wake of that news other companes are going to want even more. I am just not sure Sony can afford to do such a big purchase.

I mean, right now which company releases one big game per quarter? Activision blizzard as a whole released maybe one big game per year with the rare year having two. Blizzard barely releases anything and COD is yearly. Microsoft can make can make cod release every two or three years, and that frees up some of the other studios to work on new games. But that'll still end up being one game per year with staggered releases, assuming they line up that way. And blizzard ... who knows. Blizzard looks like dogshit right now. Hopefully microsoft can turn them around and they can actually release some games.

Microsoft has over 30 game studios now. If each studio takes 3 years to make a game they could still have 10 game releases a year at this point. Obviously it wont line up perfectly for 10 titles a year but it just shows you how many games a year they will have

I think once take - two goes up for sale it will create a bidding competition that sony wont be able to handle . MS paid a 40 something percent premium per share on activision and I am sure now in the wake of that news other companes are going to want even more. I am just not sure Sony can afford to do such a big purchase.

I think some are really underestimating what Sony is willing to spend, or willing to do. This isn't the same suffering Sony during the PS3 era. But we shall see what pans out within the coming weeks...

Edit: Shitty auto-correct. :mad:

Last edited:
Microsoft has over 30 game studios now. If each studio takes 3 years to make a game they could still have 10 game releases a year at this point. Obviously it wont line up perfectly for 10 titles a year but it just shows you how many games a year they will have

Sony has about 20, and I'd say the reputations of their studios are much better right now. So 2 games per year vs Microsoft's 3 by the same math. I don't know if Sony needs to rush out and buy EA or Ubi or whatever. They can be pretty happy with what they've got, and to be honest if anything fill the gap of maybe COD (assuming it doesn't stay multiplatform, which I think it will).

Like, I could actually see Sony buying an independent studio or two that makes high quality games before buying out a large publisher that comes with a ton of baggage.

I think some are really underestimating what Sony is willing to spend, or willing to do. This isn't the same suffering Sony during the PS3 error. But we shall see what pans out within the coming weeks...
If Take Two / Rockstar were the company from PS2 era (three GTA games) or PS3 (two GTA games + RDR) then sure. But Rockstar's last massive hit was GTA V (2013). RDR2 (2018) was critically acclaimed but has not received anywhere near the same commercial success, i.e. gamers aren't buying it anywhere as much and why Rockstar are updated GTA V and not RDR2 for next gen consoles. Rumours have been circulating about turmoil for some years and GTA's mastermind - Dan Houser - walked last year. Yes, this is depressing.

Everybody else from Rockstar North is almost dead from deep-fried Mars-bar poisoning which is Scotland's staple breakfast, lunch and dinner ¯\_(ツ)_/

I think some are really underestimating what Sony is willing to spend, or willing to do. This isn't the same suffering Sony during the PS3 era. But we shall see what pans out within the coming weeks...

Edit: Shitty auto-correct. :mad:

It's tough for sony since i think they are not as insulated from failing economies like Microsoft
is
Sony has about 20, and I'd say the reputations of their studios are much better right now. So 2 games per year vs Microsoft's 3 by the same math. I don't know if Sony needs to rush out and buy EA or Ubi or whatever. They can be pretty happy with what they've got, and to be honest if anything fill the gap of maybe COD (assuming it doesn't stay multiplatform, which I think it will).

Like, I could actually see Sony buying an independent studio or two that makes high quality games before buying out a large publisher that comes with a ton of baggage.

Sony is really supporting two platforms however that require different games and resources. playstation and playstation vr.

I also don't think MS is done with purchasing studios. There are still 3 other deals I know of in the backround and at least one of them (a small one) is getting close to wrapping up

Sony is really supporting two platforms however that require different games and resources. playstation and playstation vr.

I mean ... They are. I don't know if that's significant in any way.

Personally whether the ratio of the games for MS vs Sony is 3:2 or 2:1, it doesn't really matter unless the games are really good. Maybe Bethesda and Activision will get Microsoft on par for the big titles, but right now Microsoft is only excelling in their niche indie-type games and simulators ... and Minecraft.

Microsoft is only excelling in their niche indie-type games and simulators ... and Minecraft.

As per the post quoted below, its not all that pristine at sony all that much anymore either.

Sony might have more next gen exclusives, but it's a pretty shallow pond in terms of real next gen content on both sides right now. Once Microsoft starts dropping hits, it's going to be nuts.

I also don't think MS is done with purchasing studios. There are still 3 other deals I know of in the backround and at least one of them (a small one) is getting close to wrapping up

Like? :p

I mean ... They are. I don't know if that's significant in any way.

Personally whether the ratio of the games for MS vs Sony is 3:2 or 2:1, it doesn't really matter unless the games are really good. Maybe Bethesda and Activision will get Microsoft on par for the big titles, but right now Microsoft is only excelling in their niche indie-type games and simulators ... and Minecraft.

I mean it comes down to taste because right now there aren't any playstation games that interest me while even during the slow years microsoft had stuff i was interested in.

Now they will have even more. I'm a bit RPG fan. Now Microsoft has Elder Scrolls , Fall out , Starfield , Avowed and Fable. They can release one major RPG a year. I'm also a shooter fan. They have halo , gears , doom , quake , wolfenstein , cod , heroes of the storm , hexen and over watch oh and rage. Am I missing any ? That's before side genres that I like strategy games and collectable card games and adventure games.

I dunno man what microsoft had and what microsoft has now is leaps and bounds more interesting to me than what Sony has .

Honestly speaking Sony's situation reminds me of late Xbox 360 era situation where Xbox relied too much on third parties but at one point all those third parties were bought out.
Sony of course is in much better position but kinda similar. And they are also not stupid enough to allow third parties owning IPs.

Sony have a long history of ditching IP relatively quickly.
That's actually has always been surprising for me. They abandon their own IPs - Gran Turismo aside - almost every generation. Though, honestly, since the very beginning they relied on third party publishers with Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and so on.

IMHO, I don't believe Capcom will be interested in being bought by Sony - not to mention they are public. However, there are interesting moves like Sony hired formed Capcom's president for example. But Capcom has too much ties with Nintendo and PC, so for Capcom it is even detrimental. I believe Capcom will stay third party (though maybe having some dealings with Sony). Also MS now also owns e-sports league too. MS needs to grab WB and make alliance with Nintendo and they are set.

Microsoft has over 30 game studios now
Somebody counted that they have 60+ now due to sheer size of Blizzard too. And add to that support studios, esports league and there is even some video company or something.

I would say some people overestimate Sony. People thinking that Sony would go after T2 are living in a dream world. Pure cash deal certainly won't happen and spending more than 5b at once will put them in jeopardy (they hardware division is a dead weight though). I expect Sony will do nothing.

You said there was some 20b deal, but it did not happen.

Another fun thing is that MS will probably have around 20b pure profits next week again (with 40b+ revenue).

And another interesting is that MS might become more attractive to Japanese publishers due to sheer size of the deal. Like "they are willing to spend 70b on gaming? They are all in! We should support them"

Honestly speaking Sony's situation reminds me of late Xbox 360 era situation where Xbox relied too much on third parties but they were bought out.
Sony of course is in much better position but kinda similar.
Sony has popular games they just don't seem to product a lot each year. I doubt Sony will make a kinect level mistake with the next playstation although vr could be that mistake this generation if it splits their focus to much

That's actually has always been surprising for me. They abandon their own IPs - Gran Turismo aside - almost every generation. Though, honestly, since the very beginning they relied on third party publishers with Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Tomb Raider and so on
They are only interested if the IP sells well. It's why Uncharted keeps getting made and why stuff like Days gone disapears. Even if the game is crap as long as it sells well it will get a sequel

IMHO, I don't believe Capcom will be interested in being bought by Sony - not to mention they are public. However, there are interesting moves like Sony hired formed Capcom's president for example. But Capcom has too much ties with Nintendo and PC, so for Capcom it is even detrimental. I believe Capcom will stay third party (though maybe having some dealings with Sony).
Also MS now also owns e-sports league too. MS needs to grab WB and make alliance with Nintendo and they are set.
I don't know enough about capcoms finances to really comment. I'm just saying with the content capcom is making they would be a good fit with sony and evo. of course any company would do better with capcom than without it.

Somebody counted that they have 60+ now due to sheer size of Blizzard too. And add to that support studios, esports league and there is even some video company or something.
60+ studios would be really insane. I am guessing a lot of those studios are supporting wow and other long term projects with multiple teams on them ?

I would say some people overestimate Sony. People thinking that Sony would go after T2 are living in a dream world. Pure cash deal certainly won't happen and spending more than 5b at once will put them in jeopardy (they hardware division is a dead weight though). I expect Sony will do nothing.

You said there was some 20b deal, but it did not happen.

Another fun thing is that MS will probably have around 20b pure profits next week again (with 40b+ revenue)

Sony has money so they can buy games but sony isn't just video games like microsoft isn't just video games. So Sony has to weigh purchasing a game studio or anotehr movie studio or some other company to support one of their other businesses . Microsoft has to do the same they just make a ton more money and have been making a ton more money for a long time and are sitting on a lot more. 70B in a cash deal. Sony can't come close to that in pure cash. Disney couldn't even come up with that to buy fox.

As for the deal I was talking about , Microsoft has a bunch of stuff in the works. When a company isn't rushing to be bought it doesn't happen really quickly like acitvision. Some of them are discussed over years . I think this purchase was so fast because more bad stuff was going to come out

I'm just saying with the content capcom is making they would be a good fit with sony and evo
Would it be though? The only relation with EVO is Street Fighter basically. Capcom makes too much money on Monster Hunter now. If MS grabs Netherealm and with Killer Instinct in works + e-sports league and their investments, there are equally attractive to Capcom too. If MS make some deal with Nintendo regarding smash league, it would be even better. Not to mention if Bamco really is making Killer Instinct they can have ties with Tekken and Soul Calibur team now.

60+ studios would be really insane. I am guessing a lot of those studios are supporting wow and other long term projects with multiple teams on them ?
Probably. Don't know. Klobrille on Twitter calculated. For example Blizzard by itself is 9+ and has 5k+ employees. Also yes there are support studios.

I think this purchase was so fast because more bad stuff was going to come out
True. It is funny how one of the biggest purchases was initiated in October/November.

70B in a cash deal. Sony can't come close to that in pure cash.
In cash - of course no. But merging with SIE or stocks...But it would be too expensive and risky. If there were pure SIE they would probably could try merging by with Sony Music, Movies and so on it would be too much. I do believe Sony has 5b hard cap.

Back