What should Sony's Acquisition Plans Be? *spawn*

Bowing out of the political debate.

Spider-Man license was probably worth it for Sony given how well Insomniac executed things, but it's probably the exception rather than the rule and they need to be careful.

They also poured billions into promoting CoD over the years which is now owned by their main competitor, which also highlights the perils of spending money on exclusivity deals.

Regarding licenses, the recent sales of Star Wars Outlaws shows the perils of licensed properties. In Outlaws case, the license may have actually been a liability, because by all accounts the game mostly fine, but there are expectations on a Star Wars game, both in quality, but also in content. A Star Wars game where you don't have force powers or light sabers turns off some people. But if it were an unlicensed Star Wars inspired games, I'm willing to bet some of the public sentiment may have been more favorable.

To sell more copies. I don't think that the main goal of a corporation like Sony, neither the goal of their shareholders.
More copies at a higher price (compared to R&C) leads to more revenue. We can debate wether the cost of licensing the Spider Man IP is worth it, but looking at it from the outside it certainly seems so.

I don't think anyone really can argue that Sunset Overdrive 2 (or Resistance 4) would be more profitable that SM2.

Back