What other hardware/Technology is on the horizon?

misae said:
demalion:
But that's just nitpicking.. I will say if MS products were not QUALITY or fitted the needs of the public then they wouldnt sell.... alternative or no alternative.

Nitpicking?

Hmm..."QUALITY" "fitted the needs of the public". While other OSes existed in the PC, they pretty much invariably offered higher quality than Microsoft's OS at the time. I'm talking about DOSes and GUI alternatives (OS/2, BeOS)...have you used the other DOSes and either of these GUI alternatives? I have, and I'm not using them now not because they failed to compete on quality. You really think it is comparative Quality that eliminated them, or do you think it might have been the inability to compete on some other factor?

DemoCoder said:
The interdependencies exist in Windows because Microsoft is way more aggressive about using objects and reusing code. Before widespread usage of shared libaries on Unix, typically the runtime was completely statically linked for each app. Even as shared libraries started to creep in, they mostly remained core libraries.

There is interdependency, and there is closed interdependency. See my previous post directed to you.

However, if you've downloaded the latest version of Linux, from say, Mandrake or Redhat, and try to install an upgraded version of a library or app, you'll get dozens of comments from RPM telling you to upgrade all the other dependencies. So Linux is moving in the direction of Windows.

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination can you confuse Linux's "interdependency" with the closed interdependency of Windows. BTW, my problem with the ruling from the Antitrust case (which directly recognizes things you choose to ignore about what is wrong with Microsoft in regards to competition) is not what it rules, but when. 5 to 8 years ago I think this ruling would have been promising. We could have a conversation about this, but my initial points and questions to you along this line have been side-stepped so there doesn't seem much chance of that being productive.

As they rely more and more on reusable system level objects, and apps export their objects for use by other apps, you will see more interdependencies. KDE and KDE Office are great examples of this on Unix.

Well, you'll have to point out to me how Linux's interdependencies prevent someone replacing a component with something of higher quality if someone writes it. I think you'll have a challenge ahead of you. Hey, wasn't there something in the ruling about Microsoft being required to fully expose their APIs so that something like this is actually technically possible now? Too bad it wasn't done a bit earlier, sort of like before Microsoft had the groundwork and political support to create an OS where each critical component facilitates ironclad control and requires license fees that Microsoft can either afford easily or effecitively "not pay" because some other part of the company is who they'd have to pay to...

My comments and opinions on Microsofot aren't based on "slashdot", by the way, they are based on using DOS alternatives when they were around, and experiencing "mysterious" compatibility problems with other Microsoft products on them that "cropped up" after their release, and changes to the inner workings of Microsoft's DOS between versions such that the other DOSes became incompatible with the new behavior. I'm sure in your view this is a boogie man I've made up, and Microsoft never did this, and if they did it is alright anyways because Windows does what you want? (I'm sorry, your rationale sounds like this to me).

This is competition, though it isn't competition based on Quality but competition based on Control. Which is central to the problem with monopolies, strangely enough. I'd go on with this line of reasoning and point out why the ruling of the Antitrust case would have been effective earlier but doesn't seem so now, but I think I'd be wasting my time.

Are you going to tell me that BeOS and OS/2 were lower quality than Windows at the time? You mean Windows being included in about every PC being sold, and therefore having drivers (and even have people PAY THEM to make drivers) always made, was competing on "Quality"? And the reason Windows was included on PCs, with alternatives few and far between, was due to quality and not Microsoft's pricing strategies (something else addressed by the Antitrust settlement)?

Your beliefs don't seem grounded in any rational interpretation of events of the past I've witnessed or coherent evaluation of the situation as it exists now. If you can reply in such a way as to illustrate to me how it does by addressing questions I've posed (such as those in my first reply to you DemoCoder), please do, if you instead are going to repeat your assertions without doing so, please do not bother.

I do find it a bit mind boggling to have this discussion on a forum filled with people directly benefiting from the type of competition Microsoft has spent its lifetime eliminating for itself.

Slightly more On Topic, err...it would be disasterious if Microsoft made 3D hardware accelerators.

Well I was talking about one pararaph you typed and thought I quoted it but didnt.... didnt mean to rubbish your whole post.

Im just trying to say that if MS tomorrow released another OS that was flawed in a way that it no longer met the needs of the general public MS would not be able to sell it... well thats my own opinion of course.

But it only takes one mistake to lose credibility/respect... takes a lot longer to establish it.. once you are there though you can use it or abuse it but that is a ifferent argument to what I was referring to.

Again... sorry demailion didnt mean to rubbish your post.

Respect ;)

LOL. Yeah, totally new architecture. Right. You dont think they share anything other than instruction set?
I suggest you read a book on computer architecture.
As for you and your friends - luck? No, but maybe skill. I work with dozens of servers in a REAL actual work environment. I work with thousands of client machines. And you know what? I know what OSes are stable and which are not. Call me when you have actual experience - and stop reading slashdot and taking it as gospel
first off, no they arent totally new architecture. yes, they do share quite a bit. but they share a lot less than WinNT and XP. FYI i have read lots of books on computer architecture- my major is EE, and i intend on getting a PhD. As for my friends, they ALL work in some area where they are responcible for computers- net admins, lowly techs (poor guys), and "technology administrators." The last would be my father who is in charge of all the computers for an antire school, he knows just how screwy windows is. heres an example- i had my computer running fine at the lan yesterday but, I come home and try to get online and guess what happens? For some reason the whole networking subsytem is screwed up. I managed to get it working again (obviously) but it had absolutely no reason to do that on me. rarely when i start my computer the monitor goes into hibernation as soon as WinXP logon screen comes up; I have to start the comp with another monitor and then switch them to get it to work right. Windows starts doing funky things all of the time for no apparent reason- a hell of a lot more often than anything else. and no, i don't hang out at slashdot. this is about the only place i have time to hang out at.

oh, and also the discussion seems to a bit off track.... what i was originally talking about was how MS should becapable of producing a MUCH better OS with all of the resources. I'll bet if you gave all of the MS resources to ATi, nVidia, AMD, Intel (hell even BitBoys or Apple!!!) we would have some really REALLY incredible products in our hands not (relatively) long after, which would be totally blow away the competition and establish the company as the undisputed industry leader. But what does MS do with all their resources? They try force companies and people into using their products and paying rediculous prices. If I could have just 1 minute with Bill Gates, i would say to him "What happened, man? When did you loose your vision, when did you stop caring about technology? Is being the richest man in the world really really worth going against all that you care about? Or has the money chaged you and all you care about now is money?" That's what I'd say, and he'd probably just look at me like i were some incompetant fool.

madshi said:
Humus said:
An experienced programmer shouldn't buffer overrun.
Heh, so that means that all the security holes in Windows were produced by non experienced programmers? :eek: So then Microsoft must have a whole bunch of them!

Well, MS has lots of programmers, so I think it's safe to assume not everyone of them are highly skilled or experienced. The amount of point and click programmers of the Visual Basic generation is somewhat frightening. Or how little it obviously takes to become MSCE certified.

madshi said:
Humus said:
What I meant though is that the language itself can be quite cumbersome and you get quite verbose code even for simple things.
Some examples, please?

Well, I don't want this to get a C vs. pascal holy war. Probably it's a matter of taste. I prefer clear and readable source code over a cryptical sequence of characters (what C looks to me, sometimes). For sure both languages have their strong and weak points. I fail to see, though, what this has to do with which language fits better for experienced programmers.

Clear a memory region.

C/C++:
Code:
void memClear(char *dest, unsigned int len){
   while (len--) *dest++ = 0;
}

Pascal/Delphi:
Code:
type
   ByteArray: array of Byte;
   PByteArray: ^ByteArray;

procedure MemClear(P: PByteArray; len: Integer);
var
   i: Integer;
begin
   for i := 0 to len - 1 do P^[i] := 0;
end;

Pointer operations simply suck in pascal. This isn't much of a deal though in many applications, like normal windows GUI stuff, but for programming 3d stuff or something along that line it's just painful. It's also harder to write really efficient code in pascal due to the lack of more low-level detail in the language. But for learning to program I really think pascal is a much better langauge to start with than C.

PC-Engine said:
Ailuros said:
They have a hellavu lot to proove if you consider the gap between Series3 and Series5 ;)

Well they had already started development on Series 4 a while ago, but then when STM halted development of Series 4 some of that design was move over to the MBX series. Series 5 I think will probably benefit from the development of Series 4 so it shouldn't involve a lot of catch up work.

Series4 was completed according to their own PR public announcements. If you mean the VGP on MBX, I have a feeling that it's more advanced than on S4.

I can't get rid of the feeling that even between S4 and S5 a whole generation gets skipped, but until announcements are made, nothing is certain.

DemoCoder said:
The interdependencies exist in Windows because Microsoft is way more aggressive about using objects and reusing code. Before widespread usage of shared libaries on Unix, typically the runtime was completely statically linked for each app. Even as shared libraries started to creep in, they mostly remained core libraries.

Interdependencies are fine. It's all about how they're resolved. Linux seems to do a much better job at checking for interdependencies. That's what I was attempting to state. I wasn't entirely attempting to say that it's a fundamentally bad thing, just that Microsoft doesn't seem to handle it quite as well.

misae said:
Im just trying to say that if MS tomorrow released another OS that was flawed in a way that it no longer met the needs of the general public MS would not be able to sell it... well thats my own opinion of course.

Like Windows ME? Windows ME was generally considered Microsoft's crappiest OS attempt in the last couple of years, and yet it still made it into lots and lots of PCs, primarily because it was bundled with new PCs.

Due to these OEM deals, in part, Microsoft can severely screw up and still sell lots and lots of units.

demalion said:
There is interdependency, and there is closed interdependency. See my previous post directed to you.

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination can you confuse Linux's "interdependency" with the closed interdependency of Windows.

I was responding to Chalnoth's post about replacing an IE5 component affecting the CD player.

Are you going to tell me that BeOS and OS/2 were lower quality than Windows at the time?

OS/2 at the time it was designed was way too heavy for 286/386 machines. The reason they failed was more than just the falling out with Microsoft and MS trying to kill OS/2. It was also because Windows was lighter weight at the time, and IBM was busy pushing their proprietary technologies like MicroChannel and Token Ring. Ask yourself why DESQ and TopView survived so long. OS/2 was first shipped only for PS/2 machines as IBM was trying to take out the clone market. It couldn't interact with DOS memory manager so couldn't run DOS programs, etc. Lots of downsides for the consumer.

I had first hand experience with the early versions of OS/2 as I was an IBM employee at the time and we were all forced to use it. Conceptually, OS/2 is a great OS, and I loved the Unixy feel of it, but it performed way too poorly and IBM did nothing to get other hardware vendors on board. There were more interested in shipping their own PC hardware with OS/2 drivers. Before you blame MS alone for killing OS/2, perhaps you should look at some of the utterly stupid business moves IBM made during the same period. OS/2 fell into the same trap as Apple did. They tried to control both the hardware platform AND the software. Microsoft's "tyranny", for example, is far less than say, Sony's or Apple's tyranny. Steve Jobs singlehandedly killed off Mac clone companies overnight, and now Apple has a monopoly on producing Apple hardware. The result: overpriced, underperforming hardware that looks coool. Oh wow.

Windows NT was too "heavy" for consumers back then also. Windows NT is a microkernel unlike most Unices (except Mach based ones), and offered more "protection" against crashes by isolating even device drivers into their own protected space. However, not running device drivers in RING0 led to huge performance problems on the hardware of that era, as a result, Microsoft couldn't ship NT to the consumer until hardware caught up. Microsoft also moved device drivers into RING0, eliminating some of the context switching overhead at the cost of robustness, but they did this because annoying little 2D/3D gamers were whining about a few frames per second lost, at the expense of less stability of your database server.

Around the same time, we had Apple's MacOS and Commodore's AmigaOS, yet two more non-memory protected, easily crashable buggy OSes. My point is, plenty of companies have tried to design the ultimate OS. Hell, graduate students routinely rewrite them. However, an OS has to match the machine's capability at the time of design, and most consumers simply couldn't afford the extra RAM and CPU lost to so-called "superior OSes". On top of that, simply writing a memory manager, interupt manager, process manager, filesystem, and windowing system does not make what consumers consider a full OS these days. That's the commodity core. What's more important is the APIs, tools, and apps available, and in that regard, BeOS just blows. You can oogle all over the "elegance" of BeOS, but I'm telling you, there are about 50 BeOSes sitting on campus FTP servers. You need more than that.

Your beliefs don't seem grounded in any rational interpretation of events of the past I've witnessed or coherent evaluation of the situation as it exists now.

My beliefs are grounded in the fact that I've been working in the industry for almost two decades now. I have worked on almost every Unix you can name, Apple, Windows (various), almost 7 years of Java (a platform unto itself) now, AS 400, OS/2, and many others. I've ran farms of computers on various architectures, and I think I have enough cross-platform development experience to know the relative "stability" between OSes. In other words, I've lived through it.

The event's you've witnessed amount to reading punditry on web pages and TNT Made-for-TV movies. The event's I've witnessed come from actual experience with the technologies in question and from many of the people who work at the companies who were suing Microsoft. Before you blame Microsoft for everything, you should talk to some of the ex-employees of the competitors they crushed for the otherside.

I do find it a bit mind boggling to have this discussion on a forum filled with people directly benefiting from the type of competition Microsoft has spent its lifetime eliminating for itself.

Well, if Microsoft eliminated the competition (per your claims), how did/are we benefiting then? Which companies and competition did Microsoft eliminate that you think should have survived?

Please answer that one.

Slightly more On Topic, err...it would be disasterious if Microsoft made 3D hardware accelerators.

It would be "disasterious" for Microsoft. Perhaps you should go tell Steve Jobs to stop making closed platforms, and ship MacOS X on x86, or rag on IBM for trying to force Microchannel on the industry by using their OS/2 to do it (backfired)

Yes, Microsoft has tried business strategies to disadvantage competitors in the past. So have Apple, IBM, Sony, and many large manufactures. But the fact that they engaged in these practices does not make their OS inferior. If you have something factual, concrete, and informative about the architectural differences between Windows XP and say, BeOS, that you think makes one BETTER TECHNOLOGICALLY than the other, then please share it.

This thread started by bashing Microsoft's code quality, but now has devolved into politics. Let's return to the original point: MS software does/does not suck (compared to X)

DemoCoder said:
I was responding to Chalnoth's post about replacing an IE5 component affecting the CD player.

I'd just like to ask you a question, then. Why did Microsoft update the shell with a release of IE? They should have done it with a service pack, not add-on software. This, to me, is just another example of Microsoft's attempt to force people to use their web browser. I don't know if it's been done recently, however.

Because "IE" IS THE SHELLl and because it is easier to distribute bug fixes with application software than it is to get consumers to download multimegabyte service packs.

Many many critical fixes and other patches go unfixed on millions of Windows machines because most consumers won't bother to update service pack. But bundle those fixes into an app that requires them, and they are sure to download them. For the same reason, Office updates your system. Microsoft believes it is best to make sure most users are running with the most uptodate system, and they get patches into your system in anyway they can.

But in case you think this is unique, think again. Many third party windows software has been distributed with system updates built into the installer. And don't forget how every app in existance used to try and overwrite your \WINDOWS\ MFC DLL.

Your question would be like saying "Why did Microsoft distribute DirectX9 runtime as part of Halo2 PC instead of as part of a separate service pack", well because it's a better incentive for getting people to install the update. (a reward, in the form of Halo2, rather than doing plain old system maintainence)

This goes back to the whole wrongheaded idea that the browser is some kind of productivity application. It isn't. The browser *IS* the container for everything else. Remember OpenDOC? When IBM/Apple propose this architecture, it's fine, but when Microsoft does it, the government needs to step in and force the browser to be a monolithic non-integrated standalone app?

The window that you today call "Internet Explorer" is really just a fancy skin ontop of an HTML rendering component registered to handle the http:// URI scheme. Anyone can plug into this and register their own foo:// schemes, and handle it themselves. But IE is the primary manager of http://, ftp://, file:, and many of the core schemes. That's why its really silly to speak of "uninstalling" IE. You'd be uninstalling DLLs and other APIs that are not just used by the web browser itself, but are used by the OS and tons of applications to process URLs, web services, XML, HTML, etc.

When people demonstrated that they could in fact build a Win95 system without the core IE libraries (and not just removing the icon from the desktop of the iexplore.exe wrapper), I think they were just kidding themselves. The first time you install a productivity app, that for example uses XML, WININET, HTML Help, etc, it's going to reinstall everything, because parsing an XML file, or making an HTTP request is now a fundamental operating system operation.

I'm sure you could also hack a Win95 system to remove the TrueType font manager. But the moment you install any productivity app that needs to work with fonts, back it goes. Now if Microsoft distributed a version of Office that updated the TrueType Font Manager, would you tell them it's illegal and they should make the user download a separate service pack distributed and install TWO things?

DemoCoder said:
demalion said:

I don't think by any stretch of the imagination can you confuse Linux's "interdependency" with the closed interdependency of Windows.

You addressed his example, but not the larger concern. Hence my reply.

Are you going to tell me that BeOS and OS/2 were lower quality than Windows at the time?

OS/2 at the time it was designed was way too heavy for 286/386 machines. The reason they failed was more than just the falling out with Microsoft and MS trying to kill OS/2. It was also because Windows was lighter weight at the time, and IBM was busy pushing their proprietary technologies like MicroChannel and Token Ring. Ask yourself why DESQ and TopView survived so long. OS/2 was first shipped only for PS/2 machines as IBM was trying to take out the clone market. It couldn't interact with DOS memory manager so couldn't run DOS programs, etc. Lots of downsides for the consumer.

I'm talking about OS/2 at the time it failed, after "Warp". The comparison that comes to mind is OS/2 versus Win 95 and later.

Since you didn't answer my question, I ask again, do you say BeOS and OS/2 which failed to compete with Microsoft's OS failed due to "Quality"?

I had first hand experience with the early versions of OS/2 as I was an IBM employee at the time and we were all forced to use it. Conceptually, OS/2 is a great OS, and I loved the Unixy feel of it, but it performed way too poorly and IBM did nothing to get other hardware vendors on board. There were more interested in shipping their own PC hardware with OS/2 drivers.

They did try to get hardware vendors on board, and succeeded to a modest degree. But "nothing" supports your "point" more I guess.

Before you blame MS alone for killing OS/2, perhaps you should look at some of the utterly stupid business moves IBM made during the same period.

I shouldn't have given you so much ammunition to avoid the simple question I asked about whether it failed due to quality or not. :-? No, I don't blame MS alone for killing OS/2, though I do blame them for scarcity of companies able to compete for the long list of reasons and examples I've mentioned. Like in that first post to you with the questions I said you hadn't answered.

What about BeOS? Can you answer the question more simply there?

OS/2 fell into the same trap as Apple did. They tried to control both the hardware platform AND the software. Microsoft's "tyranny", for example, is far less than say, Sony's or Apple's tyranny. Steve Jobs singlehandedly killed off Mac clone companies overnight, and now Apple has a monopoly on producing Apple hardware. The result: overpriced, underperforming hardware that looks coool. Oh wow.

We have a similar outlook on Apple's behavior there quite definitely. But because my point is not that Apple or IBM would have been better to be in Microsoft's position, but that it would be better if there was competition based on quality, I fail to see the parallel. That's a lot of text you've typed that talked around that.

Windows NT was too "heavy" for consumers back then also. Windows NT is a microkernel unlike most Unices (except Mach based ones), and offered more "protection" against crashes by isolating even device drivers into their own protected space.

Yep.

However, not running device drivers in RING0 led to huge performance problems on the hardware of that era, as a result, Microsoft couldn't ship NT to the consumer until hardware caught up. Microsoft also moved device drivers into RING0, eliminating some of the context switching overhead at the cost of robustness, but they did this because annoying little 2D/3D gamers were whining about a few frames per second lost, at the expense of less stability of your database server.

I wonder if QNX's driver architecture could have delivered on its promises of stability and performance in a consumer OS?

Around the same time, we had Apple's MacOS and Commodore's AmigaOS, yet two more non-memory protected, easily crashable buggy OSes.

That was a lot of text telling me things I'm pretty familiar with, having used the mentioned OSes and being familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of each. Now all I'm missing is the connection to my questions, which I presume will follow...(?)

My point is, plenty of companies have tried to design the ultimate OS. Hell, graduate students routinely rewrite them. However, an OS has to match the machine's capability at the time of design, and most consumers simply couldn't afford the extra RAM and CPU lost to so-called "superior OSes". On top of that, simply writing a memory manager, interupt manager, process manager, filesystem, and windowing system does not make what consumers consider a full OS these days. That's the commodity core. What's more important is the APIs, tools, and apps available, and in that regard, BeOS just blows. You can oogle all over the "elegance" of BeOS, but I'm telling you, there are about 50 BeOSes sitting on campus FTP servers. You need more than that.

Ah! An answer to my BeOS question!(?) "The commodity core". Hey, wait, isn't it Microsoft who standardized the "commodity core" such that another OS cannot compete? Do we need to quote the dictionary definition of monopoly to illustrate why increasing the scope of the "commodity core" serves to extend it?

Your beliefs don't seem grounded in any rational interpretation of events of the past I've witnessed or coherent evaluation of the situation as it exists now.

My beliefs are grounded in the fact that I've been working in the industry for almost two decades now. I have worked on almost every Unix you can name, Apple, Windows (various), almost 7 years of Java (a platform unto itself) now, AS 400, OS/2, and many others. I've ran farms of computers on various architectures, and I think I have enough cross-platform development experience to know the relative "stability" between OSes. In other words, I've lived through it.

I'm blinking and trying to recall mentioning the word "stability" in the discussion. If you are going to say Windows is the highest "quality" OS you've ever used, go ahead, don't tapdance around it or substitute another term your are more ready to defend. Oh, and yes, Windows 2k and Windows XP are not really less stable than BeOS, but BeOS has been around for a while. However, the natural extension of your outlook is that we'd be where we are now with Windows if Linux, Mac OS, and BeOS never existed for Microsoft to take note of. Since I can't credit that you'd go that far, I'm still puzzled as to your line of thought.

In any case, I'm using Windows right now, and I've used BeOS, AmigaOS, MacOS....

I'll simply suggest that even just based on the characteristics of OSes that are already old there is plenty of room for improvement in Windows that does not necessitate the further expansion of the "commodity core", and that in an environment other than a monopoly we just might be a bit further along in achieving it.

The event's you've witnessed amount to reading punditry on web pages and TNT Made-for-TV movies.

Hmm....actually my opinion has nothing to do with web pages nor TV movies, but my own experiences. The assumption on your part is rather assinine and useless, as a matter of fact. I would appreciate more time spent providing a rational connection from your experiences to the central question on quality and the benefit to consumers...as I mention, answering the questions in my first post replying to you would be a start.

The event's I've witnessed come from actual experience with the technologies in question and from many of the people who work at the companies who were suing Microsoft. Before you blame Microsoft for everything, you should talk to some of the ex-employees of the competitors they crushed for the otherside.

And where did you get your info "from many of the people who work at the companies who were suing Microsoft"? I assume not web page punditry?

Well, if Microsoft eliminated the competition (per your claims), how did/are we benefiting then? Which companies and competition did Microsoft eliminate that you think should have survived?

Please answer that one.

Your first question doesn't make sense at all. I think why it doesn't seem to represent my stance is obvious, but perhaps I misunderstand your meaning?

For the second, hmmm...that would be a long list of products, but note "That I think should have survived?", however, is a distorted question. What I think is that their ability to compete should not have been impeded by Microsoft's monopoly. That's why monopolies are bad. Is this a concept that is "out there" to you?

It would be "disasterious" for Microsoft.

Really? Based on what? Further antitrust legislation aside, they likely could pull it off. What this might do to DirectX development afterwards might be undesirable, but not if your evident satisfaction with Microsoft dictating the pace of development to suit itself was applied. Hmm...if there wasn't an OpenGL, perhaps they might have considered doing it, too.

Perhaps you should go tell Steve Jobs to stop making closed platforms, and ship MacOS X on x86,

Actually, I would if he would listen. Your point?

or rag on IBM for trying to force Microchannel on the industry by using their OS/2 to do it (backfired)

*laugh* If IBM and Microsoft had been one company, they could have gotten away with it. This is the central problem you consistently seem to avoid.

Yes, Microsoft has tried business strategies to disadvantage competitors in the past. So have Apple, IBM, Sony, and many large manufactures. But the fact that they engaged in these practices does not make their OS inferior. If you have something factual, concrete, and informative about the architectural differences between Windows XP and say, BeOS, that you think makes one BETTER TECHNOLOGICALLY than the other, then please share it.

Well, the simplest "proof" is that Microsoft's OSes continue to evolve to resemble OSes that have come before, which would include BeOS and even some Mac OS features (look at the next proposed Windows file system for one example). An aid in comparison would be the minimum CPU and RAM usage required to execute the same functionality. You've already conceded as much about BeOS and its elegance, but maintained that the "commodity core" as you termed it was the reason for its failure, so I'm not sure what the point would be. Would you enlighten me?

This thread started by bashing Microsoft's code quality, but now has devolved into politics. Let's return to the original point: MS software does/does not suck (compared to X)

The concept that one company being able to dictate the evolution of so many paths of software development to suite its own profitability is less desirable for consumers seems pretty clear cut. I really would prefer to be playing games and typing this under BeOS, but you'd rather dismiss the impact Microsoft's monopoly had on the ability of that OS to exist in the marketplace. To me, this makes me suspect that our discussion is not going to anywhere. Perhaps you could answer that first post I made in reply to you and we could maybe progress there?

Or, we could redefine the discussion and look at what Windows offers us right now and ignore what other OSes have offered us and when and on what systems they achieved it.

'Because "IE" IS THE SHELLl '

I think the argument at the time was that it NEED not be so a priori. Microsoft could have decoupled their browser when they were making Dx8 such that all the libraries, API's etc were not built from the getgo with IE in mind.

Of course in the end, once Win 98 shipped, the point was moot. Might as well install IE, since the system is based on it already.

Regardless, I think consumers reaped the benefits of integrated browsers (personally I joined the Borg years ago), but perhaps it was a little distasteful from the perspective of the competition.

MfA said:
In XP the standard user account has most of the same priviliges.
So what?
that doesnt mean you have to use it.
Besides, there are just as many user types in XP as there are in 2000.
My point is/was that XP does not run everything as an admin. Sure, if hte user is an admin...so what? Does the same on 2k/NT.

Sage said:
first off, no they arent totally new architecture. yes, they do share quite a bit. but they share a lot less than WinNT and XP. FYI i have read lots of books on computer architecture- my major is EE, and i intend on getting a PhD.
So basically, you were wrong, and talking trash. And who cares if you want to be an EE. Are you? No...and even having one doesnt mean you know computer architecture - what you really know depends on what area you specialize in.

As for my friends, they ALL work in some area where they are responcible for computers- net admins, lowly techs (poor guys), and "technology administrators." The last would be my father who is in charge of all the computers for an antire school, he knows just how screwy windows is.
So basically you have anecdotal evidence, huh?
Let me let you in on a little something - anecdotal evidence about computer problems is worthless. People lie to make themselves appear better/smarter etc. As for windows doing stuff "for no reason" - guess what? What that really means is, you dont know why it did it. That speaks to the skill issue i was refering to...
I dont mean to come accross as an arrogant prick here, but you really just dont know what you are talking about. If you lived near me, i'd tell you to call next time your computer was doing something "it had absolutely no reason to do" - cause i'd find the problem, and tell you.
Also, i find it funny that you blame microsoft for all the problems, totally failing to account for device drivers, hardware stability issues, etc. Kinda funny. It speaks of your inexperience.

DemoCoder said:
Because "IE" IS THE SHELLl and because it is easier to distribute bug fixes with application software than it is to get consumers to download multimegabyte service packs.

But expanding basic OS functionality is not related to expanding Internet functionality. And I don't mind fixes and patches being bundled with apps. It's the idea that the only way to get those fixes and patches is with apps that irks me. The way I see it, Microsoft has just decided to call too many of its libraries part of Internet Explorer. Yes, the line between the base OS and the browser have blurred. But the two should still be separate. I don't like IE. I don't want to use it. And, most importantly, I don't want to have to download 12MB worth of data in order to update something I'm never going to use.

The window that you today call "Internet Explorer" is really just a fancy skin ontop of an HTML rendering component registered to handle the http:// URI scheme. Anyone can plug into this and register their own foo:// schemes, and handle it themselves. But IE is the primary manager of http://, ftp://, file:, and many of the core schemes. That's why its really silly to speak of "uninstalling" IE. You'd be uninstalling DLLs and other APIs that are not just used by the web browser itself, but are used by the OS and tons of applications to process URLs, web services, XML, HTML, etc.

And why should I have to update this "skin," weighing in at 12MB to improve very basic OS functionality that is in no way related to the Internet?

Humus said:
Code:
type
   ByteArray: array of Byte;
   PByteArray: ^ByteArray;

procedure MemClear(P: PByteArray; len: Integer);
var
   i: Integer;
begin
   for i := 0 to len - 1 do P^[i] := 0;
end;
Well, of course you can make it that complicated, if you like. How about this?
Code:
procedure MemClear(var buf: array of byte);
var i1 : integer;
begin
  for i1 := 0 to high(buf) do buf[i1] := 0;
end;
That's hardly longer than your C code, is it? Furthermore I think you don't need to know pascal to understand that code. Just a basic knowledge of *any* programming language is enough to read and understand it. But just look at your C code. You have to know C to understand that. Otherwise e.g. you wouldn't know how this "*dest++ = 0" statement works. Which of the three actions here (*, ++, =) is done first? It's a bit strange that the order in reality is "*, =, ++", isn't it? A programmer, which is experienced in e.g. basic or pascal, but doesn't know C would think that the ++ is evaluated before the assignment is done...
Humus said:
It's also harder to write really efficient code in pascal due to the lack of more low-level detail in the language.
What low-level detail do you mean? About efficiency: Just for fun I've compiled your C function and my pascal memClear function. Here's the assembler code of your C function (compiled in BCB6):
Code:
push ebp
mov ebp,esp
jmp +9
mov eax,[ebp+8]
mov byte ptr [eax],0
inc dword ptr [ebp+8]
mov edx,[ebp+$c]
add dword ptr [ebp+$c],-1
test edx,edx
jnz -14
pop ebp
ret
And here's the assembler code of the pascal function:
Code:
test edx,edx
jl +8
inc edx
mov byte ptr [eax], 0
inc eax
dec edx
jnz -7
ret
Now which one is more efficient? ;)

You keep harping on BeOS, so I'll address your point (do you have one?). Let us suppose that BeOS is a "quality" implementation. The question is: What benefits does using BeOS deliver above and beyond Windows, MacOS, and Linux such that I, as an end user, would clearly want to choose it over the rivals? How will it make me more productive?More entertained? More secure?

Your question is kind of like asking "Be Inc. just shipped a new hamburger. How come most people are still eating McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's?" My question would be, does this Hamburger taste significantly better to the audience it is intended for?

So can you tell me why I should choose BeOS over others?

The concept that one company being able to dictate the evolution of so many paths of software development to suite its own profitability is less desirable for consumers seems pretty clear cut. I really would prefer to be playing games and typing this under BeOS, but you'd rather dismiss the impact Microsoft's monopoly had on the ability of that OS to exist in the marketplace. To me, this makes me suspect that our discussion is not going to anywhere. Perhaps you could answer that first post I made in reply to you and we could maybe progress there?

First, consumers don't care about software development, they care about the end application. For most of the short history of consumer electronics, consumers have interacted with closed systems: VCRs, Microwaves, Consoles, DVDs, TVs, etc. They never had to think about what kind of OS was running inside. They just want to their microwave oven to work for them. It is only the PC that has introduced the notion of some general purpose (and brittle/buggy) device that is reconfigurable for a given task by software installed by the enduser.

So, I'd like to know why you'd rather be playing a given game under BeOS? In the past, most games booted the operating system right out of the way and went straight to the hardware. Usually when I am playing a game, I am not really concerned about the GUI or kernel underlying it, so I'd really be interested in why you are so keen on playing games on BeOS. Just what benefit do you think you'd derive?

You really think MS killed BeOS in the market place, and not the fact that #1 Apple killed it, and #2 consumers didn't even know about it (Be's business plan based on selling to Apple or selling multi-CPU "hacker boxes" to elite developers!) and #3 consumer's weren't the audience? I mean, do you parents really covet a dual-CPU box? Do they care that BeOS markets features like "multi-processing", "multithreading", and "memory protection", features that every OS I know of now has?

There are about 2 dozen FREE webservers out there and many of them compare favorably with Apache (also free). So why do you suppose that most of them aren't used? Cause Microsoft killed them with a free IIS? or is it because they are not sufficiently different from Apache to warrant using them!

Face the facts: BeOS is not sufficiently better or different (and in many ways, much inferior) to the present big three: Windows, MacOS, and *Nix to warrant anyone to use such a new and unproven platform to do anything. It is not revolutionary, and most of the features it markets itself as having are old hat and not new at all.

Microsoft can only control path dependence if the path they are taking is mostly correct. They can't go against the inertia of their own userbase and they can't impose arbitrarily high costs on the consumer. They have been thwarted in the past and not every Microsoft project is instantly successful in leading the market. At one point in time, Microsoft was building MSN out to beat the internet, complete with proprietary non-IP based protocols, its own non-HTML language, etc (a big AOL). At another point in time, Microsoft was trying to corrupt the XML specs with their own extensions, but recanted in the end. Microsoft fought hard against the virtual machine concept, but in the end, adopted a Java-like language (C#) and VM (CLR), which turns out to be an improvement on Java. On the Web Services side, Microsoft is now very open and cooperative compared to some of their rivals.

And Microsoft's critics aren't always correct. Remember when Microsoft decided to drop support for MCD OpenGL drivers? Carmack got all enraged and wrote a bunch of missives against MS, letter writing/petition, the whole shebang? Well it turns out in the end, that dropping MCD's was the right decision all along and Microsoft's decision wasn't neccessarily a carefully calculated decision to kill OpenGL, but was more a technical decision not to support something that the IHV's weren't asking for.

Look, I don't like everything Microsoft puts out. I still don't like the DirectX C++ apis and still prefer OpenGL. (However with Direct9 Managed Extensions, the API is much nicer). And in fact, many areas of windows still needs improvement. But Microsoft has systematically been delivering vast improvements in their entire software line, and I am sick of people claiming MS is holding progress back. There is no one stopping any developing from writing the ultimate web browser or spreadsheet. Absolutely nothing.

One more comment: Frequently people make the claim that today's software requires way more resources but does the same thing thing. It is best phrased as "How could word processors could run on 386s, but now they require 1Ghz and 256mb of RAM?"

Well, the statement is not true. Back when you were running on a 386, your word processor couldn't render antialiased TrueType fonts on the screen and at 600DPI on the printer. It didn't have support for international languages (e.g. BIDI text, Unicode, Chinese input method), not did it do spell checking and grammar checking in all these languages, if it did any of them at all. You could not use the WYSIWYG word processor generate a presentation or publish electronically. It didn't support anywhere near the number of layout options available nowadays. Could it merge in data from database? Could it forward the document in email? Did it have revision control? Did it have a scripting language? Collaboration and workflow tracking? Document sharing? The list goes on.

In fact, I found most word processors from a few years ago unusable in terms of their rendering/layout and I relied 100% on TeX/LaTeX/etc to do all of my reports, but of course, I ran TeX on a Unix box with much better hardware than the average PC at the time and it wasn't WYSIWYG.

You used to be able to run apps in 1mb or less because usually you only ran 1 app, and the app had a drastically reduced set of features compared to today's apps. Now you're argument might be "I don't use all those features", but the subset that you use, isn't neccessarily the subset I use, and some of those "features" are transparent to you (like the dozens of megatbyes of TrueType fonts loaded by your system to show you the nice font-dialog-chooser)

I find the overuse of auto-increment, ",", and other operators in C to be highly annoying. They just subtract from readability and don't add to compiler optimization at all. Some C coders think it is quite clever to be able to reduce 3-4 lines of code to a single glob of operators, but I think it's bad coding.

I also think pointer arithmetic is one of the worst language features. There's no reason why you can use an array abstraction for the same purpose, and static type checking tools can often check the bounds for you.

Back