What - no Harry Potter thread?

mcsven

Newcomer
Finished the Deathly Hallows last night. Enjoyed it. Thought some of the deaths were rather casual but she'd warned us that would happen. Was impressed that Dumbledore turned out to be such a ruthless SOB...

Even my wife who loves these books (she picked up her copy yesterday and finished it last night after re-reading the previous book yesterday to "get in the mood") says that Rowling's writing is terrible. She does voraciously read all kinds of terrible stuff from Mills & Boon romances to Booker Prize winners, and fantasy series, so she enjoys it even though it's "badly written".

I think it's kind of sad that adults read a Harry Potter book once a year and think that means they "read books", when there's so many better authors out there who create really exciting and imaginative stories that have new ideas pinging around inside your head.

Horses for courses though, it's really meant for kids and teenagers, despite the adults who think it's some kind of high literature.

I found it somewhat disappointing. To be honest, it read like fan fiction: Every single bit of speculation turned out to be true. I couldn't help but wonder, if Rowling read the forums of a certain HP site too much and tried to bend the story to the rumours in there. The other HP always had some moment of surprise / mystery this one came without that.
Also the deus-ex Ron moment in the middle was just really weak writing or maybe we should call it plot magic. That was the low point of the book for me.
And for god's sake why the hell did she write an epilogue? It was completely unnecessary (as in it didn't add a single bit to the story).

The ending had much promise, but under delivered, though. I would have preferred different ending. The last action "sequence" was marred by the plot magic as well.

Now, that's sound more negative than I'd like. I enjoyed the book (as in light reading) but even children books should have a coherent plot and not just various bits of pieces stringed together clumsily. It just missed focus all over.

The wfie and I saw the 5th movie Friday night and I enjoyed it so much that I now want to read the books. My wife's read them and has been really looking forward to the last one (which I was supposed to buy yesterday but completely forgot about).

I think she should thank the lucky stars that she came upon a good idea at the right time that was halfway coherent enough writer for a childrens book. Her writing is awful, and simply marred with too much incontinuity. The movies may stand the test of time, but the books certainly won't.

Also the deus-ex Ron moment in the middle was just really weak writing or maybe we should call it plot magic.
I'm still scratching my head as to how that lighter thing did that (other than it being a convenient plot device). It wasn't hinted at before, or really explained afterward. It simply did its inexplicable thing and that was that.

Deus Ex the game ?

"deus ex machina"

The phrase deus ex machina (literally "god out of a machine") describes an unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot (e.g. the rope that binds the hero's hands is luckily chewed off by a rat, or an angel suddenly appearing to solve problems).

The game "Deux Ex" actually takes it's name from the above, literally translating the title to "God of the Machine" or "Machine God", which makes sense in the context of the game.

I actually thbink the Hobbit is a better book than the LOTR books to be honest, but I would imagine I am in a very small minority in that opinion.

As for Harry Potter I have never read them or seen the films.

Read The Deathly Hallows on Saturday and enjoyed it overall. In particular, the first third of the book was nicely paced and well written. However some of it was just weak. She's never really found a good way to indicate a large amount of time has passed, and the post-lapse comeback is invariably crap; religion found its way in to the book in subtle but completely unnecessary ways; the last hundred pages had me screaming, "nooooo, don't do it!", in terms of the end sequence, and the epilogue was horrible.

Hrmph! I've found myself wanting to go and read the series again though, just to pick up on some of the nuances and characters I seemingly glossed over which are referenced in this last book, which might make my second read of it a bit more enjoyable than the first. But that's something to do in a couple of years. After seeing the latest film recently too, I've had my fill for a while. Brilliant stories overall, cheers J.K.!

I actually thbink the Hobbit is a better book than the LOTR books to be honest, but I would imagine I am in a very small minority in that opinion.

No, I think there are more people in the world who prefer a thin book, or don't like hobbits at all. ;)

I loved the Lord of the Rings.

Well, the Hobbit was certainly more digestible, and not so bogged down in the mythos minutia that only a linguist can generate in such volume.

Anyways, back to Harry Potter. The wife sent me this (presumably copied from some forum):

Harry Potter...ages 17 through 36

1) "Harry Potter and the Bottomless Cup" -- Details Harry's drinking problems in his college years
2) "Harry Potter and the Therapist's Couch"-- Harry gets back in touch with his feelings about the war and the loss of his parents with the help of a middle-aged Italian therapist with good legs (and doesn't die at the end).

3) "Harry Potter and the Blue Stones" Harry's life given that Ginny Weasely is not ready to move on from "snogging" to more advanced activities.

4) "Harry Potter and the Big Fat Witch Wedding" -- Marrying into the Weasely family means learning about the dark side of Ron's Mom and Dad via planning a complex wedding that only mixed-bloods are allowed to attend (special scene involves Hagrid, a punch bowl of scotch, and a toast invoking the word "wand" several times at the reception).

5) "Harry Potter and the Post Partum Depression" -- Harry struggles to keep Ginny from drowning her first child.
6) "Harry Potter and the Quarterly Report" -- Harry finds that his reputation doesn't help in the business world. Learns important spells including "Anus Osculatus" to be a large help.

7)"Harry Potter and the Seven Year Itch," It turns out that new young witch in accounting looks good.
8) "Harry Potter and the Paternity Crisis" That one kid really doesn't look like Ron Weasely, when you stop and think about it. Hermione's not talking.

9) "Harry Potter and the Inland Revenue" -- Turns out Harry never paid taxes on the inheritance he received at age 11, and there's no way to magic yourself out of bureaucracy.

Anyone got other ideas as Harry goes from 17 to 36? In later years, one could go forward until, I suppose, we get to "Harry Potter and the Little Blue Pill."

I was amused to see a 5 or 6 year old girl kneeling on the floor of a packed tube train on Saturday, making headway on the new book. The world around her really didn't matter.

Jawed

As for Harry Potter I have never read them or seen the films.

I read both books some fiveteen years ago and from what I remember I 'liked' 'Lord of the Rings' better. 'The Hobbit' struck me as more of a children's book, which isn't a bad thing, just not what I had expected. 'Lord of the Rings' on the other hand, is one of the most over-rated best-selling books ever. It may be a seminal, genre-defining work but its literary quality is quite abysmal (I re-read the original a few years ago and came to that conclusion). I can see how it's jerk-off material for roleplaying nerds, though.

Harry Potter - unfortunately I think I'm a little too old to be able to enjoy them. The first book I couldn't finish because I thought it was so mind-numbingly trite nor have I watched any of the movies for lack of motivation.

Every movie needs less Daniel Radcliffe and more Alan Rickman.

QFT. Great actors playing the bad guys in Die Hard (especially 1 and 3) really lifted those movies to another level.

"It may be a seminal, genre-defining work but its literary quality is quite abysmal"

Hmm, not exactly sure what that means. You mean the quality of the prose? Its pretty heavy duty in description, but its quite beautifully done all the same, which is why its considered a twentieth century masterpiece.

As for HP, read the last book in four hours last night. I liked it, but it had pacing problems at time (when they're sitting there doing nothing in the woods). I also can't help but compare HP to my other childhood books, like the Chronicles of Narnia -- which is indisputably of a superior quality.

It also hurts that you really more or less despise the main character throughout the novels and that he never really has much depth to him beyond whats already established in book 1.

There is no scene in any movie that Alan Rickman can't steal. It's almost embarrassing when you see him alongside the three main Potter leads - they are so bland in comparison.

I find it rather strange, while Snape is consistently the very reason I continue to see these movies, almost everyone I discuss them with doesn't like him. How could they not? Rickman's acting is phenomenal, and the character itself is the most interesting.

Back