What do we want from game reviews?

I want to make a distinction between a review and an opinion.

A review implies a claim of expertise, the intent is to judge a game's merit and recommend purchase, a reviewer claims to be impartial, and fake objectivity by using numbers. It's fair to criticize their journalistic integrity because they claim to be journalists. Each of their claim can be argued and criticized. Bias, bullshit, and shills can be exposed. Rationality, perspective, and knowledge can be praised.

An opinion represents someone's subjective appreciation of a game, and that's always fun to share. They are personal impressions and there's no wrong answer. It provides a good pulse of the industry and what the consumers enjoy.

More honesty and i'd like to see reviewers be more critical. Take diablo 3 for example people couldn't play it. why would you give a 90 score to a game that for most of the time was unplayable

A reviewer is not a journalist and it is an inherently subjective profession. They're paid essentially to provide their subjective opinions.

Man, I've been looking on some old reviews of games that have had some form of recent release like Another World, and because of this discussion I also went back to Ace Magazine. Check some of its 6 page reviews out ... these were both golden times for gaming in general, and this magazine ... just great. For me, still the greatest of all time, period. Also, the Amiga/ST/PC thing is amusingly similar to the Playstation/Xbox/PC of today.

Man, the memories. I have to refrain myself from reading all those issues all over again and put all of its reviews in www.techingames.net ... :D But I will certainly do so for key releases, and will get back to them for key features.

Also, they use a 1000 point review scale, so now I feel inaccurate for having to round the 985 score for Populous II up to 99 and am contemplating allowing a better precision, ha ha. Perhaps even use 1000 point scale myself as a tribute.

Fractional percentage points is a ridiculous resolution for a highly subjective, scientific matter. The ten-point scale is about as accurate as people can realistically discern, maybe 20 points (5%). I doubt anyone can convey a single percentage with accuracy such that a review score of 74% on one day would be a 74% every other day. The only way such scores are created is a metascore from several more lower-resolution scores such as graphics, sound, gameplay, story out of tens. 99% for Populous 2 is fine - 98.5% isn't measurably or perceptibly worse for the game taken as a whole.

The descriptions in reviews help me understand the game and decide if it's a good fit or not. That's where description is important, either a technical breakdown of the mechanics or a poetic impression of the experience. Read around and you get a lot of POV to help build up a reasonable picture. That's where the masses with their unprofessional take can actually be very informative as they tend to focus on just whether they had fun/were entertained or not.

TBH I think the only way this discussion can come to consensus is if reviews have to straddle both extremes. Include both the technical analysis and poetic, emotional impact. But then I'm sure some people would complain the reviews are too long! ;)

How's about the only good review is a decent demo?

No, because there are no good demos. We've seen plenty of evidence of that. Very rare that a demo does a full game justice, though fortunately it still happens once in a while.

I've just updated the site to honor good ol' ACE, and am showing a 1000 point scale now. :D It just feels right for me, and then it's always easier to present those values divided by 10 or by 100 if someone prefers that later.

And it definitely made sense for ACE as they were really, really precise. ;)

A reviewer is not a journalist and it is an inherently subjective profession. They're paid essentially to provide their subjective opinions.
I understand your point, but there's very little objectivity in journalism. It's a subjective perspective being presented. I will criticize the rationality of this perspective when I watch the news, and I will criticize the validity of the facts presented to support the perspective. All of this can be argued.

Same for many game reviews. A review is a subjective judgement, and I will judge the integrity of reviewers like journalists as long as they call themselves journalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_journalism
Video game journalism is a branch of journalism concerned with the reporting and discussion of video games. It is typically based on a core reveal/preview/review cycle.

Reviewers are not journalists and they never were, in any industry. Being a professional reviewer is being a professional critic, not a journalist. While they both have ethical issues, reviewing and journalism are not the same thing.

Reviewing Red Dead Redemption as political is 100% fair, because it is most definitely political in nature.

Really? I must have missed it. What political viewpoint was Red Dead Redemption espousing? I would hardly call a period piece that contains well worn Wild West tropes as being political in nature. If there was something more than that, I clearly missed it.

Reviewers are not journalists and they never were, in any industry. Being a professional reviewer is being a professional critic, not a journalist. While they both have ethical issues, reviewing and journalism are not the same thing.

Likewise, isn't there a distinct difference between a journalist and a reporter? Reporters, report the facts. Journalists create stories in an attempt to promote social change or create emotion.

I like my reviews to be done far closer to the line of reporters than journalists. Tell me the good and the bad, and of course, you can throw in a bit of personal opinion. I dislike the reviews done by "game journalists" that are mostly opinion with only a few actual facts sprinkled in. I like the balance tipped in the other direction.

I am not going to say that there aren't some "reviews" done by "game journalists" that don't have merit and aren't entertaining. But in those cases, the review itself is providing a different function. It's not a critique of a product so much as a product of entertainment in its own right. To me, it's the difference between watching a Car & Driver review of a newly released automobile and watching a review of the automobile on Top Gear. If I really cared about the review, I'd watch the Car & Driver review. If I'm just looking for entertainment value and not a real review of the car, I'll watch Top Gear.

Yes it's the difference between "Reporting Journalism" and "Subjective Journalism"... or new journalism, whatever they want to call it.

For the record, I don't think reviewers are journalists, but they DO call themselves that.

Really? I must have missed it. What political viewpoint was Red Dead Redemption espousing? I would hardly call a period piece that contains well worn Wild West tropes as being political in nature. If there was something more than that, I clearly missed it.

It's been a long time I played it, but it's not like the political themes are hidden. The period of the story, like many westerns set at the end of the Wild West, is framed as a story about the battle of the individual vs the state. You have two different framings of the same issue, on two sides of the border. It's similar to a movie like the Wild Bunch. Not too mention, the game itself is political in many ways, simply by providing violence as entertainment. If the story weren't inherently political, it would still be a political item anyway. Rambo: First Blood Part 2 can be viewed as a political piece, if you really wanted to.

It's been a long time I played it, but it's not like the political themes are hidden. The period of the story, like many westerns set at the end of the Wild West, is framed as a story about the battle of the individual vs the state. You have two different framings of the same issue, on two sides of the border. It's similar to a movie like the Wild Bunch. Not too mention, the game itself is political in many ways, simply by providing violence as entertainment. If the story weren't inherently political, it would still be a political item anyway. Rambo: First Blood Part 2 can be viewed as a political piece, if you really wanted to.

I understand your point, but if we are going to use that as the definition of politics in games (or entertainment in general), then everything is political. In short, if you look at the world through a political filter - everything will be political in nature. And, if we use your definition of what is political, how could you make a game or movie set in the wild west without it being political? And any game that is violent is suddenly political in nature? No, the game itself is not. There are certain members of society that will use that violence for their own political gains, but that isn't the intent of the game designers and it shouldn't be the focus of the reviews. Unless those reviews are coming from "journalists" whose agenda is not to provide an accurate representation of the quality of the game, but instead are trying to evoke emotion or promote social change. In which case the game itself is entirely secondary, they will use any example and any platform to evoke emotion and promote their social agenda.

I don't believe that using widely accepted tropes is being political. This is very different than Bioshock Infinite, whose entire purpose was to make a political statement about discrimination and they were so over the top with it that many of the reviews criticized them for it. Of course, who can blame them after the majority of their audience missed their political statement in the original Bioshock?

You are wrong. Red Dead Redemption is making an intentional political statement from political themes. You don't need to look at it "through a political lens." It is pretty overt, without being heavy-handed. Many western movies are political, as they intentionally explore themes like justice, social order, the nature of right vs wrong, personal duty, personal responsibility, the power of the state etc. If you think those movies didn't (and still don't) intentionally explore social ideas and morality, you're kidding yourself.

The fact that some of these things may be "tropes" doesn't mean they're not political anymore. That's kind of like saying that ww2 films made during and shortly after the war weren't propaganda because they all explored the same themes.

And not everything is political. Geometry Wars is not a political game. You'd be hard pressed to make that argument. Candles are not political. Balloons are not political. Eating carrots is not political. As for violence, it is almost always political. Mortal Kombat X is a political statement, whether the people that make it choose to express it as political. Violence, especially extreme violence and gore as entertainment is a political statement in itself. You're actively saying that it's harmless and that it's ok. That is undeniably political. I'm not choosing to use some weird definition of politics.

If someone reviews Mortal Kombat X and doesn't take issue with the gore, or maybe even acknowledge the gore, that's just as political as discussing it as an issue. That's pretty easy to understand. What I find is that people who don't want "politics" in reviews actually mean that they only want a certain brand of politics in their reviews.

On top of that, it's actually stupid to prevent people from being "preachy" in reviews. It's actually bad for the consumer. Ultimately what you need to know from a review is whether the person who reviewing the product, item, service liked it. If I baked a pie and asked a friend to try it and then asked, "What do you think?" and they responded, "It's blueberry, has a pie crust and is roughly twelve inches in diameter," I'd slap them across the face and tell them to try again.

The further you reduce a review to some kind of objectivity, the less useful it will be. If there was some formula for an objective review, all reviews would be the same, meaning there would be no use for having more than one review of any product. We all know that's stupid, because none of us like the same things. Ultimately, what you want to find is a group of reviewers with similar tastes to your own. You want to find someone that likes and dislikes the same things, or a group of people that cover the bases. I want to know if the same things offend them, excite them, make them laugh, make them cry, whatever. Those are the important things. The emotional responses. Is something fun. That's pretty basic. If I find a reviewer, that finds the same things enjoyable that I do, then I can probably count on their next recommendation. If they say they were thrilled by a game, that's a lot more useful to me than telling me the framerate, the resolution, what buttons do what, what sound formats the game supports etc. We play games to get an emotional response in ourselves, so why wouldn't I want to know the experience of the person reviewing? Fuck that fence sitting where they say, "This game could appeal to people who like x." No, tell me whether you liked it. Don't try to guess if someone else would like it. If I read your reviews, and I know my tastes are similar to yours, I can make the judgement that I will or will not like it as well.

If I baked a pie and asked a friend to try it and then asked, "What do you think?" and they responded, "It's blueberry, has a pie crust and is roughly twelve inches in diameter," I'd slap them across the face and tell them to try again.
thats because you know that info having baked the pie, if you had no info that would be useful to you

thats because you know that info having baked the pie, if you had no info that would be useful to you

You pick that one point out of an entire post? The point is, if I ask someone for a recommendation, I want to know if they like it. If a friend of mine is reading a book I'm interested in, I want to know if they like it, not just some cursory details about the book. If I want some basic information about a game, the publisher/dev undoubtedly releases reams of information about the basics. From a review, I want to know the experience the reviewer had with it. I want their most subjective feelings about the game.

But if Scott_Arm left, and then I entered the room and asked "is that pie good", I too would not find that review particularly useful.
If that friend went on to say "this pie is terrible", I would also like to know that there may be something about that Scott_Arm's-hand-shaped bruise on the reviewer's face that might figure into that low score.

I derive no small amount of entertainment from some of the most colorful reviewers, and I'd rather they make their turn-ons and turn-offs plain so that I can see if the things that bother them enough to penalize a game are the things I could live with. I don't even mind if they build up a head of steam when something about a game enthuses or repulses them. It indicates there is investment in what they are doing.
If they can provide a cogent framework for their qualitative judgment of a game as a whole, I can make my decision if they are being fair, or perhaps more importantly whether I enjoyed the review and/or if I would enjoy the game based on whether I "get" them or they me.
Some of the most memorable reviews are those for movies I'd never watch, or games I'd never play, because they are so horrendous that a reviewer goes on a truly epic tear.

A review is an inevitably individual expression by an imperfectly rational human being, and it requires that the person viewing or reading the review interpret that as best they can.
If a reviewer goes on at length on a topic or tangent that diminishes the opinion of the piece, it can be that the reviewer just isn't for you, with the probability that as things become more extreme that a more universal consensus can be reached that they are full of it.
It's also the case that it's not just a political point I disagree with or even political. Sometimes people just carry on too much for my personal taste.

I went through this thread, and has http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/ really not come up yet?

Ultimately what you need to know from a review is whether the person who reviewing the product, item, service liked it. If I baked a pie and asked a friend to try it and then asked, "What do you think?" and they responded, "It's blueberry, has a pie crust and is roughly twelve inches in diameter," I'd slap them across the face and tell them to try again.
Perfect point. That's exactly why people want subjective reviews.

Now, you go into a ship and there's a selection of pies. You happen to dislike quite a lot of fillings. If they are all marked with various flowery prose as delicious and enjoyable but with no description what they actually are, you're likely to slap the shop-keeper across the face and tell them to stop being so pretentious, just label the pies as what they are and how much they cost.

There are two legitimate flavours of reviews, the objective and the subjective info.

The ideal pie review would be a description of what it is, and what it was like. "Scott's latest creation is a superb achievement, progressing his current crust period with a tangy, fruity creation. I was presented with a beautifully crafted blueberry pie with a sweat-pastry topping, decorated much more professionally than Scott's earlier attempts and I feel this pie wouldn't have looked out of place in a shop. Maybe the consistency of the patternation needs a little work, but the thing as a whole looked very professional and enticing. The filling was rich and fruity and everything you'd want from blueberries. If you haven't tried a blueberry pie before, it's similar to many other berry pies in offering a sharper tang compared to something like an apple pie. At 12 inches in diameter, it's good for sharing at the end of the meal with friends, but perhaps just a little too much for a self-indulgent treat, at least in one sitting."

Back