What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put a bunch of time into DD this weekend. I think it is time to play some South Park before I see it on sale for half price before I played it...

Fast RMX. Really impressive. Really hard. No Wipeout, though. Especially disappointed in the lack of a proper time trial mode. Endlessly lapping while shaving off milliseconds is probably my favorite thing to do in any racing game, and in Fast RMX that is not possible. Collision is handled rather strangely as well.

Polished off the sizeable Mario campaign. Must have been the most joyous 15 gaming hours I've had in ages. Good thing there's an insane amount of well crafted post-game content. I was fairly thorough and finished the campaign with around 300 moons collected. My buddy who played it for review had only collected about 150 at this point. Given that there are 999 moons in the game, I still got a long road ahead of me. This is exciting.

Mario Odyssey is absolutely brilliant.

Would you recommend it to someone who's never owned a Nintendo console?

I've played Nintendo games at stores and stuff. I probably am not the type who'd re-play SMO to maximize coins or anything after solving the puzzles to get through all the levels.

So I could buy Switch and SMO and a couple of other games or pick up some PS4 games for BF with bargain prices. I think Horizon Zero Dawn will be like $15 or $20. Similar for Last of Us, Uncharted 4 and God of War.

I've played Nintendo games at stores and stuff. I probably am not the type who'd re-play SMO to maximize coins or anything after solving the puzzles to get through all the levels.

For someone who's never played/owned Nintendo, I'd tell them to try playing the older Nintendo games using online emulators to see if their base IP interests you (Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart). The gameplay really hasn't changed much over the years for those core Nintendo games. Not exactly sure how Super Mario Odyssey plays, if its just an open world area with quests inside to complete or if it drives towards a linear storyline to push the user forward to new quests.

My son bought himself a New 2DS XL. I would probably have gone for a 3DS but he doesn’t care about 3D and the price difference was big (he got this one for 125 euro). As he didn’t have games yet, I gifted him Zelda Link to the Past as I thought it would probably keep him happy for a while and challenge him a bit ... he can sometimes give up easily but this being his one 2DS game for now is a good motivation and so far it works. [emoji4] It seems to be a very nice game so far. He just got the wall painting skill thing ...

(This is the first Nintendo under my roof ever since I borrowed a Wii for a weekend ...)

I haven't played Nintendo or Mario games in a very long time before this and I find Mario Odyssey to be absolutely wonderful experience. I can't say it's everyones cup of tea, but I think it's very well executed in all fronts. It's just a joy to play. Lot's of clever little things everywhere. The system itself has really grown on me since I bought it couple days ago. It's super fun little thing. :)

I haven't played Nintendo or Mario games in a very long time before this and I find Mario Odyssey to be absolutely wonderful experience. I can't say it's everyones cup of tea, but I think it's very well executed in all fronts. It's just a joy to play. Lot's of clever little things everywhere. The system itself has really grown on me since I bought it couple days ago. It's super fun little thing. :)

That's the thing, I'd certainly be able to use it throughout the house, whereas my PS4 is tethered to my big TV and I haven't turned it on in months, if not over a year.

I could also envision using it with the TV on in the background.

But report back after you've had it at least a month or two. ;)

I beat Tomb Raider: Legend. Not bad, I liked it. I miss the complexity of the old games' levels, but this game still feels like a Tomb Raider game. I must say again that I didn't imagine how much the Uncharted saga took from this game...

Now I'm with Assassin's Creed and Final Fantasy III (NES original via emulation, not a remake). I'm liking AC quite a lot! I enjoy just wandering about the so-well-crafted cities.

For someone who's never played/owned Nintendo, I'd tell them to try playing the older Nintendo games using online emulators to see if their base IP interests you (Mario, Zelda, Mario Kart). The gameplay really hasn't changed much over the years for those core Nintendo games. Not exactly sure how Super Mario Odyssey plays, if its just an open world area with quests inside to complete or if it drives towards a linear storyline to push the user forward to new quests.

I'd say if there's one developer out there who really takes its various ips in vastly different directions it's Nintendo. The differences between the various Mario and Zelda games are pretty damn vast actually. Breath of the Wild in particular is a huge departure for the franchise.

I’ve been playing Uncharted LL and have been enjoying it a lot so far. It’s a much bigger game than I initially expected.

Also got my son Pokémon Art Academy on his 2DS XL and must say, that is a really cool little title that really teaches you to draw. Impressive! Quite funny too and your ‘co-student’s continuous failures are both really funny and a good motivator for my son.

Playing South Park, FM6, It's You, GTS. I finished Frozen Wilds (such a great game, GOTY for me). I put a few games on hold, was getting burned out. That's my gaming ADD.

I am still playing Mario Odyssey, I had to restart after +10h due to making a new Nintendo account and losing the save in the process. Luckily the game is good for replay, I found a punch of new things on second go. Not sure how long I have left in this, I've been taking my time. I lost the save originally when I had just cleared Sand Kingdom, now I was about to fly to Metro city.

I am torn between getting Zelda or Xenoblade Chronicles 2 next... I bought Mario Kart 8 for multiplayer gaming.

You still have quite a ways to go before reaching the "ending". The game has boatloads of post game content, though. From extra moons to collect in each world to entirely new worlds. If you wanna get all the moons (I do. Eventually), Odyssey is easily a 50+ hour game.

Thanks, I made good progress in Metro Kingdom yesterday. I also bought Zelda, but I probably won't start it until I'm pretty much finished with Mario. Zelda should keep me entertained on my flight to BKK in January.

I've been trying to work on my backlog before getting any new games, haha. So right now, in terms of single player games, I'm playing Persona 5. But, I sometimes play a little bit of Brawlhalla and Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy.

Finished Persona 5 yesterday, first run, 80h+ in, fiou. I'll do a NG+ game, but later. Now, I've Frozen Wild and FFXV to go to. Need more time :/ Now I'm a "adult" with "responsibilities". Such BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back