What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonic Mania.
Quite enjoyable. That said, I think Sonic's always had game design issues. The 3d games compounded the inherent problems further, but they've really been there ever since the series' 1991 debut. The game has essentially two modes: It's got the lightning fast passages which are quite exhilerating (and the devs did their utmost to make these passages varied), but they are also largely on auto pilot (just like in the 3d games) and only really serve to break up the parts of the game where your skilled inputs are needed. Now those parts are quite sluggish and finicky, and they're also what the majority of the game's about. To make matters even worse, the ratio between fast and sluggish gets ever more lopsided the further you progress into the game.
The best sonic game has always been ristar.

cde9f1ccf8af9ef1862a3ec7828cdbc0.jpg

Crazily hooked on mass effect andromeda , a game I couldn't get into when I first bought it. Now I have sunk tens upon tens hours on it. Will continue with my backlog consisting games like mafia3 , the division and a second playthrough of assassins creed syndicate along with uncharted the lost legacy. Not buying any new games until the Xbox one x comes around ( and even then I will have my hands full with all the enhanced games I want to replay) . I estimate to be buying games again around....Christmas when most fall releases will be dirt cheap anyway.

Today I finished Bioshock. :) It ended up being just a tad repetitive to me, but I loved the game, a lot. One of the best artistic directions in the history of videogames, IMHO.

Today I started Tomb Raider: Legend. I tried to stay as "virgin" as possible, so when I played Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness I managed to see some things that other games later took, such as Uncharted, and now... hahaha, the influence is even more evident. When people said that Uncharted took a lot of stuff from Tomb Raider I thought that they were mainly referring to the setting, tomb raiding and stuff, but now I see that a lot of mechanics come directly from Miss Croft's games.

By the way, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm having a hard time with the camera. I'm not complaining about the controls (not like when I played TD: AoD, in which case I came from the previous classic games so I was UPSET), which are ok. It's just the axis thing is driving me crazy and I don't know why. I play for a while without inverting the camera's X or Y axes, and sometimes I get it wrong, so I switch the options and I end up messing up with the camera again. :(

Hooked on Metroid Samus Returns at the moment. It's crazy good. The 3ds may be a hopelessly outdated piece of tech, but when the results are this impressive, I couldn't really care less. In a way, going the handheld route has probably done the thing a big favor. It's a pretty massive game, and it probably didn't break the bank regardless. It's easily the best game Mercury Steam has made thus far, and it carries over some of the lessons the developer has learned from creating combat systems in the past (the melee counter is super satisfying). Otherwise it feels just like a super polished Nintendo game as it looks and runs like dream. Really makes me appreciate the stable 3d of the New 3DS as well. The depth of these backgrounds is incredibly impressive.

Today I finished Bioshock. :) It ended up being just a tad repetitive to me, but I loved the game, a lot. One of the best artistic directions in the history of videogames, IMHO.

Today I started Tomb Raider: Legend. I tried to stay as "virgin" as possible, so when I played Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness I managed to see some things that other games later took, such as Uncharted, and now... hahaha, the influence is even more evident. When people said that Uncharted took a lot of stuff from Tomb Raider I thought that they were mainly referring to the setting, tomb raiding and stuff, but now I see that a lot of mechanics come directly from Miss Croft's games.

By the way, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I'm having a hard time with the camera. I'm not complaining about the controls (not like when I played TD: AoD, in which case I came from the previous classic games so I was UPSET), which are ok. It's just the axis thing is driving me crazy and I don't know why. I play for a while without inverting the camera's X or Y axes, and sometimes I get it wrong, so I switch the options and I end up messing up with the camera again. :(

Virginity is overrated.

Virginity is overrated.
I concur, but do you think it is also overrated in this case? Why?

Personally, I'm enjoying it this way in this case. For instance, I didn't play Angel of Darkness until last year, and I'm glad I didn't play a newer game before, so that I could truly feel the changes and the progression on my own. I have a special relationship with this saga, and I wanted it to be that way. After Legend, I will play Anniversary and then Underworld. ^_^

Anniversary is a terrific remake. It smoothes over some of the more extreme bumps in the early titles, but it very much retains the essence of what made the early games so thrilling: the level designs, the puzzles, thhe movement - it's all reasonably complex and challenging here. Meanwhile, combat plays a much smaller role.

Hob's performance on PS4 is beyond awful. Dug up a dev interview from a year ago and when the guy was asked about performance he replied it was gonna run silky smooth like cream. Well, I have never played a PS4 game which ran this poorly so so much for that. Shame as the game underneath is actually really cool.

Well, at least they're working on it. Already up to version 1.10 and it's gotten a little bit less framey. Still a far cry from satisfying, but it's certainly playable now. Apparently no such issues with the PC version, so I'll whole-heartedly recommend that. There's a truly wonderful game hiding under all the technical muck. One with stunning visuals and terrific world design. World design which is utterly unique I might add. The entire world shifts, contracts and expands right beneath your tiny feet like a giant steampunk transformer. It's a marvelous sight to behold.

Well I gave No Man's Sky a good go. Only cost a tenner so was worth a try. Played through enough of it now to hit that "what's the point?" mark. I just fell I've seen it all now, and playing through the Atlas path is just going to make me find more and more resources until I finally hit a lame "ending". Similarly bothering to get the v2 and v3 atlas passes seems pointless. I'm assuming whatever is hidden behid the locked doors is going to be pretty lame.

Was fun enough until you realise how shallow the universe is; how everything is really just a variation on a theme. Space stations are pretty much identical. The tasks are all the same once you've worked out the pattern i.e. transmitter > distress signal > abandoned ship/freighter etc etc.

Given I'm playing the full fat version I can only imagine what it was like at launch.

Well I gave No Man's Sky a good go. Only cost a tenner so was worth a try. Played through enough of it now to hit that "what's the point?" mark. I just fell I've seen it all now, and playing through the Atlas path is just going to make me find more and more resources until I finally hit a lame "ending". Similarly bothering to get the v2 and v3 atlas passes seems pointless. I'm assuming whatever is hidden behid the locked doors is going to be pretty lame.

Was fun enough until you realise how shallow the universe is; how everything is really just a variation on a theme. Space stations are pretty much identical. The tasks are all the same once you've worked out the pattern i.e. transmitter > distress signal > abandoned ship/freighter etc etc.

Given I'm playing the full fat version I can only imagine what it was like at launch.
Thanks for the mini review. I was thinking about buying it , since it is dirt cheap , but with so many games and so little time I fail to see the point in investing hours upon hours on this thing. Your post reinforced my decision not to pull the trigger on this.

Between destiny 2 and the division . The division looks great on the pro nowadays.

On division too. GE Assault started today with classified Sentry, Striker and Reclaimer builds available.

I have been eyeing D2 but I'm not too sure about getting it. I watched some twitch but it's mostly raids or crucible. Are the soloable parts of the maps much bigger?

I have been playing Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle lately. I like it quite a bit. A fair bit of challenge without feeling overwhelming. They ramp up the difficulty at a good pace. I just recently downloaded Dragonball Xenboverse 2, but haven't really dug into that one yet. I love Dragonball Z, so I am sure I will enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back