What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zelda: BotW. After initially being a bit meh about the new Zelda and Switch, that game has really grown on me and now I think it is a nearly perfect masterpiece.

Also Zelda and I agree entirely about the 'meh' phase. In the beginning it's easy to wander around aimlessly without any real goal or direction. If you do follow the games quests you'll begin to accrue more quest goals with specific goals to aim toward. This reminds me of Skyrim but Skyrim had more settlements and NPCs in the wild to set you on some/any path at all.

But I think it's hugely overrated because there are many fundamental mechanics flaws. Basic inventory management and dialogue with NPCs is awful. If you want to cook a bunch of the same item (which you will) it takes a while to do this because for each item you have to go into the inventory, add each of the ingredients (up to 5), exit the inventory then watch the cooking animation. You can barely cook 4 things a minute so if you want to make a bunch them it gets frustrating very quickly.

Similarly I bought a house and wanted to furnish it but the game made me buy each enhancement - more than a dozen - once at a time. With each requiring a separate approach to the same NPC, who had a slow dialogue tree, following by a musical interlude then a fucking animation, after which the NPC has moved and will not talk to you again until he's walked back to where he started. I reckon it took me about 20 to 25 minutes. Arghhhhh! :runaway:

How does an action RPG with massive amount of items to collect and so much dialogue get near-perfect reviews when two of it's fundamental systems are worse than any RPG in recent memory!?! :???:

Snip.

Arghhhhh! :runaway:

How does an action RPG with massive amount of items to collect and so much dialogue get near-perfect reviews when two of it's fundamental systems are worse than any RPG in recent memory!?! :???:
Zelda games are often overrated. Not saying this game is (because I still didn't play it).

But for instance Skyward Sword got more than 25 perfect scores (with a 93 meta) but the game was so archaic ('tutorial, the game', slow, repetitive and mandatory dialogues etc.) that I never had the patience to finish the game.

But I think it's hugely overrated because there are many fundamental mechanics flaws. Basic inventory management and dialogue with NPCs is awful. If you want to cook a bunch of the same item (which you will) it takes a while to do this because for each item you have to go into the inventory, add each of the ingredients (up to 5), exit the inventory then watch the cooking animation. You can barely cook 4 things a minute so if you want to make a bunch them it gets frustrating very quickly.

As I said before, reviewers scored it based on nostalgia and not actual content.

Reviewers were just a lot more patient...

You cook a lot of food in this game. You spent a lot of time looking at your inventory and the same animation playing over and over and over. How does this make it through playtesting? Or upgrading your inventory which, again, you must approach the same NPC, tell him which type of inventory you want to expand (melee weapons, bow, shield) then wait for an animation, then repeat - assuming he's not decided he's going to go on his journey so can't help you - but doesn't move anywhere, the annoying maracas-weilding bastard! :runaway:

Or the blood moon event that occurs every X days and which will drive you insane with it's skippable* 20 second cutscene + loading screen, which takes you completely out of whatever you are doing.

*skippable only after 80% of the cutscene has played. :devilish:

It's on ps3???? Never knew that.

Btw have ordered a 2ds from US because I could not take it anymore that I had not played a Zelda game ever and I wanted a retro-ish non AAA experience .
Now which zelda should I go for first ?? Confusions ! I want to go for Link between worlds cos it has that top down charm !

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk

A Link between Worlds is one hell of an amazing game. It's a love letter to A Link to the Past. A classic it actually manages to surpass. Shame you'll be missing out on the 3d effect, though. Really well done in that particular game. Then again, not wanting to pay a premium for a new3DS (which is the only way you can actually enjoy the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's utterly useless on first and 2nd gen 3ds's) for the sake of one bloody game is a very reasonable thing to do indeed.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are amazing in their own rights, but unless you're super nostalgic for them because you've played them on an N64 when you were young, they probably won't blow you away anymore. That's particularly true for Ocarina. It's impressive how accomplished that game was back in the day, but in this day and age it feels more like a really well done first draft.

Last edited:
It's on ps3???? Never knew that.

Btw have ordered a 2ds from US because I could not take it anymore that I had not played a Zelda game ever and I wanted a retro-ish non AAA experience .
Now which zelda should I go for first ?? Confusions ! I want to go for Link between worlds cos it has that top down charm !

A Link between worlds is great, I loved that Zelda.

This Zelda is quite easy compared to the others but I think it's perfect if you never played a Zelda before.

After that one I'd say play Link's awakening, A link to the past and then Ocarina of time.

Whatever you do don't miss out Link's awakening which has the best story among ALL Zeldas.

A Link between Worlds is one hell of an amazing game. It's a love letter to A Link to the Past. A classic it actually manages to surpass. Shame you'll be missing out on the 3d effect, though. Really well done in that particular game. Then again, not wanting to pay a premium for a new3DS (which is the only way you can actually enjoy the effect as far as I'm concerned. It's utterly useless on first and 2nd gen 3ds's) for the sake of one bloody game is a very reasonable thing to do indeed.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are amazing in their own rights, but unless you're super nostalgic for them because you've played them on an N64 when you were young, they probably won't blow you away anymore. That's particularly true for Ocarina. It's impressive how accomplished that game was back in the day, but in this day and age it feels more like a really well done first draft.
Do you guys think i should go for Link to the past before Link between worlds? Cos I did start it in an emulator a few days back and was hooked. Or is Link between worlds the sum of two games in itself?
And th easiest to find used seems to be Ocarina, already have someone offerring it to me when my 2ds is still days atleast a week and a half away. Alos found someone selling Super Mario land 3d for cheap. Is it fun or convoluted/confusing without the 3d screen?

As for the New 3ds, its cost as well as the fact that my eyes can't take 3d for long at all that I decided against it. My eyes get strained and I feel very uncomfortable after a while with 3d glasses, so I wouldn't want that in gaming, something I do for hours on end. Although, I have never seen a 3ds in action, so I wouldn't know how tiring or comfortable glassless 3d is for me. If only 3ds was more common here, but its more of a luxury item, a novelty here, as Nintendo has no presence in India. No offical presence at all , making all products cost like a mini nuke! So, a new 2ds, with a non folding design which i anyways prefer, became a safer and obvious choice. I wouldn't want to spend a bomb getting a 3ds only to realise my eyes dont like it. The fact that nintendo has abandoned 3d also bolstered my opinion that it might not be worth it.

Link Between Worlds is only Link to the Past in look and feel. Not the same game at all. And if you're hooked on the old emulated game, then why not complete that one first. As for glassless 3d: It's not really straining at all actually. The problem with the old 3ds was the sweetspot you had to maintain with your own body, and the new3DS pretty much fixed the problem by tracking your eyes. Nintendo is also pretty damn good at extracting performance out of their pitifully weak-ass hardware. Link Between Worlds (or Mario 3d Land. Or Smash Brothers) runs at 60fps no matter whether 3d is enabled or not. Pretty impressive really.

I thought they were basically the same game but with some newer structuring. Atleast one of the reviews made me believe so. Was IGN I think.
I just played around 15 minutes of it....cleared the first "level" but I missed pressing real buttons. If I get the Link between worlds before my 2ds arrives, I will go for it , if not will start link to the past :D !

As for 3d, well let's see how it goes with my 2ds. Whether I fall in love or not. If I get to try out the 3d somewhere then maybe I can switch to a 3ds later.

Link Between Worlds is only Link to the Past in look and feel. Not the same game at all. And if you're hooked on the old emulated game, then why not complete that one first. As for glassless 3d: It's not really straining at all actually. The problem with the old 3ds was the sweetspot you had to maintain with your own body, and the new3DS pretty much fixed the problem by tracking your eyes. Nintendo is also pretty damn good at extracting performance out of their pitifully weak-ass hardware. Link Between Worlds (or Mario 3d Land. Or Smash Brothers) runs at 60fps no matter whether 3d is enabled or not. Pretty impressive really.
Mario 3D Land runs at 30fps. It's the Wii U 3D mario (Super Mario 3D World) which runs at 60fps.

So I played some Link to the Past via a emulator on the vita and ended up losing my save but boy the game is so good ! No wonder ppl fell head over heels for Zelda series. man, if I had played this stuff in my childhood too I would also be dissappointed by the progression games have made from then to now ! I mean, if games could feel like this with that hardware then why did everything turn into a handheld spoonfeeding festival later?
Cant wait for my 2ds now though Link to past wont work without a R4 card, I guess as its a snes title. Or am I wrong? Getting an R4 card for older games is going to be another major hurdle for me, boy nothing related to Nintendo is easy here -_- ! ANd add to that I just realised the seller hasn't even shipped my 2ds yet :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back