What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are at least 2 teams at Ubisoft that have done nothing besides developing AC games for en entire generation, so I really do not see the big difference to be honest. And the Rage engine R* uses has only been used for 2 GTA games so far. It's been Criterion's Renderware before that.

There are at least 2 teams at Ubisoft that have done nothing besides developing AC games for en entire generation, so I really do not see the big difference to be honest.
You think a team doing something for seven years will be as skilled as a team doing something for twice as long? My experience says this isn't how skill development works, it's not like you hit a ceiling where one team ceases (or is unable) to advance and the other catches up.

And the Rage engine R* uses has only been used for 2 GTA games so far. It's been Criterion's Renderware before that.
We know from the modding community that GTA III used much of Renderware's stock engine but that Vice City was quite a departure from the Renderware engine as appeared in other games. San Andreas was further departure. This seems to be fairly common with developers starting with a stock engine, then investing so much in modifications and optimisations, they effectively evolve their own fork. Happened a ton with Renderware, early idTech (Quake, Quake 2, Doom 3) and Unreal Engines. This way to get to keep the tool chains.

This is patently nonsense. No single team in Ubisoft has been solely focussed on an engine and game series tied to a single genre, that they themselves defined, for fifteen years. It's this sole focus that makes Rockstar North the benchmark for the genre.
You usually infuse your posts with things very poetically and eloquently, although I gotta partially agree with @Sigfried1977 here, and I say partially because Rayman and Child of Light are ok games. Ubisoft's gone downhill and it's Ubisoft. What can you expect now? There are more issues in their games than anything else.

Legendary series Heroes of Might and Magic is not what it used to be because of them, HoMM VI is full of errors and they should make stuff that actually works instead.

You usually infuse your posts with things very poetically and eloquently, although I gotta partially agree with @Sigfried1977 here, and I say partially because Rayman and Child of Light are ok games. Ubisoft's gone downhill and it's Ubisoft. What can you expect now? There are more issues in their games than anything else.

Sigfried1977 seemed quite taken with GTA V, particularly all the little details. I am also hugely impressed with GTA V and even when messing around I often find things I've never seen before. But part of the reason is Rockstar North can seemingly do what other developers can not is simply because they have been doing this, refining their exquisite murdercraft, for almost two decades. The only non-GTA game they've turned out since GTA III is Manhunt. So more murdercraft ;)

Sleeping Dogs, True Crime, The Getaway - all good efforts but Rockstar North have unparalleled experience in the genre. It's difficult to see them being unseated. Can they make a crap game? I'm sure they could - many didn't like GTA IV, but they've been working on engines, AI, animation and algorithms for the worlds for a long, long time.

And I say this with a touch of sadness because I'd like more games of GTA's quality but I just don't see it happening. Most publishers couldn't afford a game as grand a scale as GTA. WATCH_DOGS looked promising, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but as a believe world it was a pale imitation of GTA V. Infamous Second Son's depiction of Seattle was stunningly beautiful but the pedestrians may as well have been sheep.

Witcher 3.. well. We'll see :yes:

Sigfried1977 seemed quite taken with GTA V, particularly all the little details. I am also hugely impressed with GTA V and even when messing around I often find things I've never seen before. But part of the reason is Rockstar North can seemingly do what other developers can not is simply because they have been doing this, refining their exquisite murdercraft, for almost two decades. The only non-GTA game they've turned out since GTA III is Manhunt. So more murdercraft ;)

Sleeping Dogs, True Crime, The Getaway - all good efforts but Rockstar North have unparalleled experience in the genre. It's difficult to see them being unseated. Can they make a crap game? I'm sure they could - many didn't like GTA IV, but they've been working on engines, AI, animation and algorithms for the worlds for a long, long time.

And I say this with a touch of sadness because I'd like more games of GTA's quality but I just don't see it happening. Most publishers couldn't afford a game as grand a scale as GTA. WATCH_DOGS looked promising, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but as a believe world it was a pale imitation of GTA V. Infamous Second Son's depiction of Seattle was stunningly beautiful but the pedestrians may as well have been sheep.

Witcher 3.. well. We'll see :yes:
Your post sounds to me like my opinion on Blizzard doing Diablo games compared to companies that want to make something similar and fail, say Destiny... (I mean that loot wise, nothing else) As for GTA, I've never been into it, and out of curiosity I just see videos on the XO from other friends to get what's all the fuss about. I loved Red Dead Redemption though.

Back into Ubisoft, I have some expectations on The Division.

Is anyone playing Witcher 3 on PS4? Looking to pick this one up, though not exactly sure what awaits me. Am I correct in thinking it's quite similar to Skyrim?

Is anyone playing Witcher 3 on PS4?

More like is anyone not playing the Witcher 3 on a PS4.
As for Skyrim. The Witcher 3 is certainly similar. It has the big open world of course and it also puts a huge emphasis on quality side content (and I'd argue it knocks it out of the park in that regard). Later parts of the game even look like Skyrim, albeit enormously better.
That said, it's still a very different beast. The setting feels a lot more alive, fleshed out and unique. The writing just an awful lot better. The fact that the world of the Witcher has been crafted by a gifted author over the course of many decades is quite readily apparent at all times, whereas The Elder Scrolls games barely eclipse Silmarillion-based fan(boy) fiction. I mean did anyone really give a single shit about any of the characters in Skyrim? Or the tired savior of the world story for that matter?

Anyway, I think anyone with as much as a fleeting interest in RPGs is bound to have a grand ol' time with The Witcher 3.

Great, thanks! Looks like I'll need a bigger HDD in that case. Witcher 3, here I come!! :smile2:

I went PC with The Witcher. PS4 is currently used primarily by my son who seems to really enjoy LEGO Batman 3, and I join in or take over occasionally. And in 9 days, LEGO Jurassic World will probably be added.

After having it laying around for two months I really gave Bloodborne a try. And what can I say... this is by far the best game I have played the last years (newer played the Souls games).

My nights are now filled with endless (tries on) boss fights ;). I cannot imagine that something else this year will grip me like this. even if Doom does come and it is the second coming of christ it will be a close decision :).

The Elder Scrolls games barely eclipse Silmarillion-based fan(boy) fiction. I mean did anyone really give a single shit about any of the characters in Skyrim? Or the tired savior of the world story for that matter?
Aisde from first to third person change, this is the biggest difference between the Witcher and all Elder Scrolls game.

Geralt of Rivia is fully fleshed out charactcer with a history and an extensive set of existing friends, acquaintances and enemies which the main game story winds around extensively. You also have a well and clearly defined role in the world, which people have very vocal views about. Becuase of this, IMO, the game world feels very rich adn coherent from the start. Elder Scrolls is a victim of its openness. Because your character can be anybody, outside of core story missions, you get treated as a nombody most of the time and the characters feel pretty two dimensional compared to the Witcher.

But the Witcher 3 isn't a 'sandbox' like Elder Scrolls games. You can't steal all the cheesewheels and put them in a house you buy. Nor can you kill all the civilians, if that is your thing. So while it's a fantastic Role Playing Game, your role is fixed. Fortuntaely, it's a great role and the game gives you a variety to play how you like, not just combat, but dealing with the many problems and decisions you come across.

I bought Metro Redux as part of the PSN summer sale. Not really digging it that much to be honest. Looks quite dull and samey and hasn't been especially entertaining and/or tense so far. For the most part it's also been no less restrictive than your average CoD game either, but I guess it's okay when a Ukrainian underdog does it. I'm having an okay time for my 13 bucks I guess, but given all the praise I definitely expected a lot more.

Also bought Shovel Knight for my 3ds. Now that game's definitely more to my liking. It's a nostalgia trip through and through, but it's one that's been smartly tuned to match your fondest, rose-tinted memories, instead of replicating the cruel reality of what most of the 8bit era was truly like.

Last edited:
I couldn't get into Metro Redux either.

I've been playing Rocket League with the kids. Borderlands 2 with my buddy and Magic Origins until the P2W kicks in.

I should be pushing on with Witcher 3, but can't force myself to go back.

Halo 3 from MCC, Diablo 3 ROS and a weirdly Zuma and Geometry Wars via BC on X1. I need to get back in and play some more Ori, but the game is hard and it is difficult to just jump back in after a long break.

I plan to re-play Halo 4 on MCC once Halo 3 is done to get ready for Halo 5. I also may play the free Metal Gear released this month from Games with Gold.

Just bought "not a hero" on PSN for the PS4 yesterday after watching this trailer:

It is a lot of fun and ridiculously funny. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back