What are you playing now? (console edition) [2011 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to start Tales of Vesperia. Got it for $5 via Games with Gold sale.
It was really fortunate as I was about to drop $31 for it at Gamestop---haven't seen it any cheaper for a few months.

Also still playing Injustice Single battles to unlock all the stories. Otherwise, probably won't touch it again once done.

Was Sacred 2 any good? Got it for $7 because I vaguely remembered hearing it was Good/OK.

Did you get to the bombs yet? Because it starts making more sense once you do.

I finally managed to set up my PS4 last weekend after having it sit on its box for nearly a month. I got the Destiny bundle for 379€, which was an awesome price for it over here. (I initially had it for 389€+shipping, but managed to get it down to 379€ by cancelling my order and using a better discount code with a new order)

I haven't touch the Destiny yet, but I finished Infamous Second Son couple days ago. I'd say it was a nice effort for a year one game, the graphics are pretty good, but the framerate really struggled to keep 30fps, it was worse than I expected. The game felt little bit small, but what was in there was good imo. I had some reservations with the main character before playing, but I thought they did good job with him and there were some funny jokes and stuff. The special moves were powerful, but upgraded Cole in previous games could sort out fields of enemies easier than Delsin, I played as a good guy. The paper trail thing is a cool idea, having fun with it.

About the framerate and visuals, my PS4 is hooked up on a projector (Sony VPL-HW55ES) and I play currently on 92" screen. With regular projector settings it has the typical limitations of LCD-tech like shitty motion resolution (It's a little bit different tech than LCD, but the limitations still apply)

At some point I crew tired of juddery framerate (30fps limit applied, but the game can't maintain it) and seeing how movement and panning of the camera just destroyed the image quality. I started playing around with the motion enhancement settings of my projector and for me that was a total game changer...

There are two settings to play around with film projection and and basically frame interpolation, so far I have mostly played around with frame interpolation settings, but the hdtvtest quote applies to it pretty much as well.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-vplhw55es-201404023700.htm

Gaming was a joy on the Sony VPL-HW55ES, providing both big-screen thrills and fantastic responsiveness. Our Leo Bodnar input lag tester returned a figure of 26ms in [Game] mode, and remarkably, with the [Reference] preset too that also supported full 4:4:4 chroma reproduction. Another pleasant surprise was that [Film Projection] did not add to the lag at all, meaning that you can get the rare triple combo of low input lag, high motion clarity and accurate colours all at the same time.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony/sony-vpl-hw55es-projector-special-features-2/

Selecting Motion Enhancer gives you three choices, Off, Low, and High. This is your creative frame interpolation (CFI) otherwise referred to as “smooth motion”.

Overall, CFI which I don’t use with movies, is very smooth, artifacts around moving objects are very hard to spot, even in the high setting.

The Sony projector has 240 frame per second capabilities, that allows a lot of creativity when working with 30 or 60 fps source material. Black frames can be inserted or new frames that fall between original ones that interpolate the motion.

I don't notice difference in input lag, the response is very good, the artifacting is very low, surprisingly low actually :) it does judder when the game itself is unable to maintain 30fps, but those moments would be crappy anyway. I basically feel like I was able to turn a 30fps game with atrocious motion resolution to a 60fps game with excellent motion clarity, the little artifacting is a tiny penalty for the upsides. I'm super happy with the projector right now :) I have to test how these settings affect steady 30fps and 60fps games, but I already know that I won't be gaming 30fps games without these boosts.

(Sony VPL-HW55ES)

One word.

Bastard!!! :p

I want one too. I'm still on my VPL-HW15 which I've been very happy with the last 4 years (still going very strong). Gonna wait for the next Sony projector that offers 4K at an affordable price until I will upgrade from what I have, but for now, I really envy you! Good to hear that display latency seems to be very minimal too (one of the reasons why I went with the HW15 at the time) and one of the concerns I was having about upgrading to a 3d projector with more post-processing features.

One word.

Bastard!!! :p

I want one too. I'm still on my VPL-HW15 which I've been very happy with the last 4 years (still going very strong). Gonna wait for the next Sony projector that offers 4K at an affordable price until I will upgrade from what I have, but for now, I really envy you! Good to hear that display latency seems to be very minimal too (one of the reasons why I went with the HW15 at the time) and one of the concerns I was having about upgrading to a 3d projector with more post-processing features.

Yeah it's a nice projector, I've had it for about a year now, it was one of the first units that were available pretty much anywhere in the world, that I could see or hear anyway :) It performs very well. I'm also kind of waiting for 4K projectors to come down too.

I've been playing Killzone Shadow Fall a bit, seems like a decent game so far, but man I have to say that PS4 is a noisy system. I understand this is subjective, and I haven't heard many people complain about it, but imo it's loud to the point it actually bothers me quite a bit. The machine is less than a meter away from my main sitting position, but that noise carries far anyway...

I've been playing Killzone Shadow Fall a bit, seems like a decent game so far, but man I have to say that PS4 is a noisy system. I understand this is subjective, and I haven't heard many people complain about it, but imo it's loud to the point it actually bothers me quite a bit. The machine is less than a meter away from my main sitting position, but that noise carries far anyway...

have you ever used a PS3? - it was horrendous, even the slim... I think the X360 was even noiser, but my PS4 is certainly a very quiet system. Some games make it spin louder than others, but on the whole - it's by far the least noisy console (and definately launch console) I've ever owned. One question though; Are you playing KZ:SF on disc or harddrive?

Last edited by a moderator:
One question though; Are you playing KZ:SF on disc or harddrive?
You can't play PS4 games from disc. This is the future :yes: Or are you curious if PlayGo is still installing?

have you ever used a PS3? I think the X360 was even noiser, but my PS4 is certainly a very quiet system. Some games make it spin louder than others, but on the whole - it's by far the least noisy console (and definately launch console) I've ever owned. One question though; Are you playing KZ:SF on disc or harddrive?

The launch 360 was a lot more noisier, but the slim 360 and my two PS3s (early 40GB and the first slim model) were quieter than this and by some margin. I have the disc in the drive, but the game is installed and as far I can tell the disc stops spinning soon after the game is started. I'm pretty sure it's only the fan making the sound. Perhaps I can record the sound tomorrow, but it's hard to convey the actual sound level with a crappy phone recording.

The launch 360 was a lot more noisier, but the slim 360 and my two PS3s (early 40GB and the first slim model) were quieter than this and by some margin. I have the disc in the drive, but the game is installed and as far I can tell the disc stops spinning soon after the game is started. I'm pretty sure it's only the fan making the sound. Perhaps I can record the sound tomorrow, but it's hard to convey the actual sound level with a crappy phone recording.

Some PS4s are much noisier than others. It's the lottery and...you won. :smile:

Back to OT I am playing BF4 (on PS3, don't ask why) and FC3 in a harder difficulty mode. Still haven't experienced any rain in FC3...

And yes, MLAA at 720p (sooooo good) > FXAA (ew) at 900p.

Some games can get the fans kicking in quite seriously, but mostly its quieter than my PS3 slim.

Interesting... I've had a PS3 EU launch edition, and the only thing I can recall from it in regards to noise is that it sounded as bad as a vacuum cleaner (I have no idea how X360 users survived their even noisier units without throwing it out the window - I know I've been close to doing mine!). Then I moved on to a PS3slim (the first edition) which was better, but eventually, it was far too noisy too. Far too noisy for any mediaserver usage and especially while playing demanding games it would be very noisy, despite regularly cleaning it.

The PS4 so far, as been really quiet. So quiet to the point that I can hardly believe how quiet it is. To be fair, yes, some games will get the fans spinning up quite a bit and then you will hear it, but even then it is far below what noise the PS3slim made, and for the most part, it's so quiet that I can't hear it (and my living room which is roughly 35-40m^2 is rather a quiet environment with the VPL-HW15 being the noisiest link considering it's just right above my head)... One thing though; I think KZ:SF is one of those games that seems to speed up the fan more so than other games. I haven't played it for a while if I'm honest, but the latest games seem to keep it fairly quiet (Fusion Trials, BF4, some Alien Isolation).

Also, my PS4 is right next to my Rotel surround processor which heats up quite a bit - so it's not in the most optimal places...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back