What are you playing now? [2023]

Sorry for the late reply but you are aware a modern P.C can play games of any age right back to the early 80's

There's a few things wrong with what you have said.

1. A modern PC can't play 'any' game as there's hundreds (maybe thousands) that don't work on modern Windows.

2. A lot of the older games I'm playing require an emulator and it's a complete waste using a £2000 PC to play a PSOne or N64 game.

3. You can't beat original hardware.

4. Good luck plugging a modern PC in to a 20 year old CRT TV, and getting a quality image without needing to spend hundreds.

5. Because real scanlines!!!

IMG20240531223422.jpg

1. A modern PC can't play 'any' game as there's hundreds (maybe thousands) that don't work on modern Windows.
I didnt say any game i said games of any age.
between dosbox and pcem you can run dos games, windows 3.1 games, windows 95 games, windows 98 games you can emulate everything from an 8086 to a Pentium 2 with a voodoo 3 need anything faster and you have virtual machines for windows xp and beyond there are actually very few pc games you cant run on a modern pc.

Last edited:
I didnt say any game i said games of any age.
between dosbox and pcem you can run dos games, windows 3.1 games, windows 95 games, windows 98 games you can emulate everything from an 8086 to a Pentium 2 with a voodoo 3 need anything faster and you have virtual machines for windows xp and beyond there are actually very few pc games you cant run on a modern pc.

As I said, there are still games you can't play.

And in regard to emulation, please see my previous points (number two to be precise)

I've been playing a bunch of Dave the Diver these last couple of weeks. Its gameplay is a fairly relaxing affair; perfect for winding down after a stressful shift.

Its overall tone is charming, silly, and tongue in cheek.

The story, at least at present, doesn't seem to be some sort of high stakes Marvel "save the multiverse and a babe that's 80% lips and tits" although a hint of something like that does seem to have begun, so we'll see on that front.

If you have PS+Extra it's included.

A modern PC can't play 'any' game as there's hundreds (maybe thousands) that don't work on modern Windows.
I disagree, hell even those incredibly rare dos games that didnt use a driver and wrote directly to the voodoo 1 can now be run this was done by emulating the entire voodoo card in software, the only class of games that dont run are games written for the nvidia nv1 (aka diamond edge 3d) and there was only 4 of them. Can you name some of these games
I'm a member of a board called V.O.G.O.N.S (Very Old Games On New Systems) https://www.vogons.org
if you have trouble running somethin I'm pretty sure someone on that board will have a solution for you

Last edited:
I disagree. Can you name some of these games
I'm a member of a board called V.O.G.O.N.S (Very Old Games On New Systems) https://www.vogons.org
if you have trouble running somethin I'm pretty sure someone on that board will have a solution for you
I don't want a solution to get something to work on a modern machine or have to spend hours looking online a bodge job solution.

I want something that 'just works'

And I have that with the old hardware I now have.

Last edited:
Playing Doom 3 Quest and having a blast.
Also bought jedi academy to play in VR.
I would love a port of X-Wing Alliance.

Like this

I don't want a solution to get something to work on a modern machine or have to spend hours looking online a bodge job solution.
Ahh, so you have no problem using an emulator to play console games. but using an emulator to play p.c games totally out of the question, at least your consistent ;)
my quote that "a modern P.C can play games of any age right back to the early 80's" still stands even though you underhandedly imho tried to change modern p.c to modern windows - you sneaky little bugger :p

I would love a port of X-Wing Alliance.
I know it's not Alliance, but there is Star Wars Squadrons.

ps: Karamazov
Do you love me - yeah, yeah
Do you really love me - yes you do
Do you love me - yeah, yeah
then do you want to see my nipples sorry got carried away
Why do you love me ???

X-Wing Alliance Upgrade on VR (and how to do it)
)

1) Go to the official site of the XWA Upgrade mods: https://www.xwaupgrade.com/index.php and go to Downloads section.

2) Install the Main Patch: XWAU 2020 Mega Patch

3) Install the Update Patch(es) : XWAU 2020 Update Version 5.0

4) Download and Install " Last stable beta Effects Version 1 by Blue Max's Version .....", select SteamVR during installation (Additional files are just optional)

Next 2 steps were on the previous guide, not sure if required on this update:

5) Edit the file VRParams.cfg installed, search and edit this line to this value "VR_Mode=SteamVR"

6) Download and Install the Dynamic Cockpits (Optional but strongly recommended for VR)

7) Run SteamVR

8) Run X-Wing Alliance

Voice Controls are VoiceAttack [https://voiceattack.com] + HCS Voice Packs [https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com], simply follow the instructions of each tool.

Last edited:
It's genuinely surprising me how consistent the frame rates are on PSOne.

So far played through:

Resi 2 and 3 - You don't realise how much they cut from the remakes until you've played these (Obviously Resi 3 having way more cut than Resi 2)

Crash Team Racing - A bit of chugging during a race intro but the actual races themselves are butter smooth.

Rouge Trip Vacation 2012 - I played this a lot as a kid and I was expecting a bad frame rate in this but no, smooth again.

WWF Smackdown 2 - I bloody love this game. 2 player vs mode with my brother in a TLC match is everything that modern gaming is missing.

All of it topped off by finding a new nice condition 28 inch 16:9 CRT.

Even been watching some films on DVD and VHS which I haven't done for a few decades.

IMG20240531213847.jpg
IMG20240531214415.jpg

As you're still struggling let me make it crystal clear you.

The games I'm currently playing (on actual, retro hardware) would have required me to use an emulator on a PC. And using a £2000 PC to emulate PSOne and N64 is dumb and a complete waste.

I have even stated I have retro hardware in replies, and my signature even says I have no PC and have actual hardware, so with no PC how can I even emulate? It should have been obvious to you that I'm not emulating anything.

I'm done with the conversation now as it's derailed the thread.

Last edited:
And let me make it clear to you.
this so called argument is not about emulators its about my claim that a "pc can play games of any age" which you claimed was false and that there was also thousands of games that could not be played
although you cant seem to name any.
you could have replied "thanks but I'm only interested in console games" - but no...

As to what I'm playing now CRUSADER NO REGRET from 1996 since yesterday I saw it in a charity shop for £25 and thought bloody hell I have a copy of that I'm RICH.......

ps: the shop also had boxed copies of F22 total Air war and Hostile Waters Antaeus Rising for £25 each which I also own - Yay me....

Last edited:
So I have a serious problem: I've been completely sucked into Lord of the Rings Online again (after an 11 year hiatus). It has a grip on me like no other game. I played it about 100 hours last month. I'm mostly geeked to get to Hellblade 2 and finish Persona 3 on my X, but I don't see myself getting out of this black hole until at least the end of the summer.

Back