What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crysis even by today's standards has quite a good graphics! I remember running it on my HD 3870 CF at around 9FPS in Ultra and FullHD, but current cards can tackle this game at QHD or even 4K 60FPS! Shows how big a performance leap GPU's made since RV670 ...

Bought and played first couple of levels of Ryse: Son of Rome finally. Maxed out with Supersampling is insanely gorgeous game with incredible detail.

Crysis even by today's standards has quite a good graphics! I remember running it on my HD 3870 CF at around 9FPS in Ultra and FullHD, but current cards can tackle this game at QHD or even 4K 60FPS! Shows how big a performance leap GPU's made since RV670 ...
It's running great though it does drop below 60 fps here and there even while my my monitoring software shows my gpu being used at around 60 - 70% (both power and actual gpu utilization). Not that unusual for this to be the case apparently. Turns out I never played the game other than the beginning. I bought it along with Crysis Warhead, and apparently ended up just playing Crysis Warhead. Probably because Warhead ran better, but I don't really remember. But Crysis is fun, in spite of the buggy AI. Lol, keeps me from having to lower game difficulty to the lowest. ;)

I'm playing the Trespasser DLC for Dragon Age: Inquisition. The enemies have seen a huge difficulty spike compared to the regular game, everyone seems to have a ridiculous amount of HP. I'm managing, but it feels rather weird after just storming through everybody in the main game...
I'm enjoying this, but I have to admit that playing Witcher 3 in between didn't do this ANY favours... I'm constantly wanting to beam my Geralt into this world and having the ability to move better and finish these fools little more efficiently :)

I've just finished Portal 2 and Talos Principle. Great games, but TP got a bit annoying with some of the stars, especially the ones that aren't self contained to a room. Now I started to play Ryse. The interesting thing isn't the game itself, but whether it is playable on my PC (Kaveri) because it should give an indication whether I can play current gen games or I need to add GPU. It turns out that if you don't mind the low-ish fps (I don't know how low, probably in the 20), you can play it. I do need to tone down most of the settings and use the lowest res. But since they decouple the GUI res from the game res, it worked out pretty good.

I recently started Farcry 4. Quite enjoying it so far. Seems like a little more refined version of the awesome Farcry 3 with slightly better graphics.

So I just finished Ryse. Definitely the kind of game that I like, because it's relatively easy to play since I don't really have much time to play games. Anyway, In the very fist scene/stage where you're just outside of the emperor castle where your men made a barricade, I played with some of the graphic setting. At 50% res (1080p native, game at 540p), I can actually turn on all of the graphic to high except of motion blur. I don't know if it is because of the blur or the fps actually drop, but it did felt slow with it on. One of the annoying thing with motion blur is that the dev seems to like motion blur, thus every time you change the shading quality, it turns the motion blur on! for example, I choose high, then it automatically turn on the motion blur even if it was off before. Then I change shading to low and it also turn on the motion blur! WTF!
FPS definitely took a noticeable hit if I upped the resolution, so I stay with the lowest game rendering res (540p) and turn up all of the graphic options (except motion blur), since you might as well turn it up because the hit wasn't really noticeable. The AA definitely helps. When I play the game on TV (not monitor), since there are some distance between my TV and my couch, with AA on, it felt like watching a good SD movie (almost no aliasing).
Hopefully every devs decouple rendering with GUI, because that is probably one of the most important thing that helps the experience running the game at 540p a lot more tolerable. Actually I don't mind running the games at 360p as long as it looked smooth (no aliasing!) and the GUI stays at 1080p. I do notice that when I played the game from regular PC monitor distance, the resolution is probably not adequate (personally I don't mind it, but it is definitely will bother a lot of people.

I've recently gotten into The Witness. It's a puzzle game that gets mind-bendingly difficult, with huge numbers of hidden secrets. Very addictive.

Actually I don't mind running the games at 360p as long as it looked smooth

kZncB8D.jpg

It is because I'm used to watch Youtube/streaming video @SD res. Although I should have enough download speed to watch HD streaming, but sometimes at peak hour it just buffering too much, thus to make sure of uninterrupted viewing, I choose SD res (hopefully 480p, 360p is okay, 240 is not okay). As long as aliasing is not present and text are readable, it's enough for me. The biggest problem playing something designed for HD res is that when you drop down the res, it make the GUI unusable. With Ryse decoupling the GUI from the game itself, suddenly SD res become bearable. I'm not saying that the experience was very good, but playable enough for me to have finished it. On my previous PC (an AMD Athlon X3 with iGPU on the mainboard), I remember that I usually need to drop game res to 480p and it wasn't pleasant at all because at that time AA solution was costly and some games had text that was hard to read on lower res.

Rocket League, Stardew Valley, Hearthstone and a smattering of Rainbow Six Siege. All fantastic games that scratch very different itches.

Got back into playing Final Fantasy IX, now than it's been re-released for mobile. Definitely one of the best FF games.

Fallout 4 Automatron. Brilliant, I love having a customizable robot slave, uh... companion.

I resumed S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat :cool:

It is really a shame that GSC is no more (better: the original team is no more), but probably with the current situation in Ukraine, that is the last of their problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back