we've talked about the technical aspects of CELL now.....

what will Sony provide for first gen developers

• an optimised compiler Or API

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • integrated Middleware

• other

• Total voters

notAFanB

Veteran
once again let's keep this civil guys.

what thoughts do the board have on the options available for devs when Sony finally starts sending out Dev units?

I don't expect any first gen document/tools will be really polished, instead of voting "an optimised compiler and API", I voted "one huge clunky Manual" but I think there will be a first gen compiler (which is not very optimised) and may be a not exactly high level API together with a big clunky manual (I suppose it will be if it has to provide enough detail about the system and all the object/function spec with some application notes).

I think Sony will do whatever they can to make sure the tools/manuals are as good as time allows. Sony should have learnt from the problems with early PS2 development tools.

I'd go for the whole manual deal too, regardless it would 'really' nice to provide some auxilary support in the form of generic sample code for use in the first set of titles.

the 'how smart can compilers be' issue was touched upon just recently in another thread, so I'm pretty pessimistic here.

oh and a proper translation for western devs would be nice too :)

I know they'll toss out a ton of paper info--that's an easy guess. And I know they WANT to provide an optimized API, and I imagine they'll be providing as much as they can, but I'm not sure they'll get everything entirely ready for launch--not in time for developers to take heavy advantage of straight off. I assume we'll get similar scaling to what we've seen from PS2 (though I do NOT think it will come off looking poor against existant competition at the time), as they have room for optimizations, and will be adding/encouraging middleware as they go along.

+1 "an optimised compiler Or API" from me, because just a "manual" would be so 1999. Sony knows better than that, BUT what really makes the difference this time is IBM (for the rough stuff) ... and there will be good developer support (the finer stuff, like libs, etc) from Sony on top of that, right from the start.

where's the "unoptimised compiler" option when u need it.... :D

i think it all depends on the date of launch. personally i REALLY don't think they'll delay PS3 just because or a compiler. i assume they'll ship the final version of PS3 as soon as they (1) have it (2) it's stable.

the rest can come afterwards. like it happened with PS2, which was a new and therefore unknown architecture which was released with very little instructions to the developers.

but of course, they might just have learned something from the past and be good boys... u never know... :D

Back