Water tech *spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's the lighting, the higher contrast between light and dark areas might make the jaggies look more prominent.
In scale, yeah. But the actual look and movement is more natural in R2's. Not to mention is actually responsive to outside interference.
The jelly esque water animation in R2 is anything but natural and how do we know if the water in kz3 isn't interactive?

The shallow water tech is about right. The deep sea tech is a tad too viscous, regular and exaggerated.

I'd like to point out that artist-driven water can be appropriate too. See GoW3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, a small GIF is all you need to discern geometric detail..

The normals in the surface and the foam help a bit, but geometric detail is not very high. In that scene, at the left of the screen is most notable.

Also, this screenshot:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/109/1093756/killzone-3-20100531000656351.jpg

Surely you must've noticed that the aliased portions are thin geometry/sub pixel stuff ie. areas which MLAA can't deal with on its own..??
It seems like a step backwards from KZ2. Sure, it looks sharper, but it also brings on a lot more jaggies. And the color palette isn't helping.

The normals in the surface and the foam help a bit, but geometric detail is not very high. In that scene, at the left of the screen is most notable.

Also, this screenshot:

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/109/1093756/killzone-3-20100531000656351.jpg
If that's what you call blocky, so is the real life video of 22m waves. GG implementation of huge, turbulent waves is closer to real life than any other game I've seen. Please show me an implementation, in another game, that is closer. Present real life video to compare to. That should impede your posts on the subject. :)

If that's what you call blocky, so is the real life video of 22m waves. GG implementation of huge, turbulent waves is closer to real life than any other game I've seen. Please show me an implementation, in another game, that is closer. Present real life video to compare to. That should impede your posts on the subject. :)
You are talking about wave/tidal motion, I'm talking about geometric detail ;)

Also, this screenshot:

It seems like a step backwards from KZ2. Sure, it looks sharper, but it also brings on a lot more jaggies. And the color palette isn't helping.
Sorry but what the hell you are talking :???: Really it seems you have seen a total different trailers...I understand the point of view of a person it's different, but this time I really missed yours...a lot more jaggies? Where? Can you post a screen please which prove that compared to kz2?

That screenshot shows really low polygon water compared to what is needed for detailed realistic 3D water. Please see the real deal in person, difference is massive. I would go to say even C&C3 water looks more realistic not becouse it is 3D but becouse it also has bump mapping simulation on the surface simulating the small waves in 2D in a convincing way. Also some other games have far better rough ocean implementation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nebula, I don't think your examples work. All they do is to remind me of my cruise trip. The KZ3 one is more fitting and also under totally different weather condition.

Nebula, I don't think your examples work. All they do is to remind me of my cruise trip.

So then they look more realistic to you according to yourself as you draw parallels to reality when seeing them?

The KZ3 one is more fitting and also under totally different weather condition.

Stormy rough sea?

Ha ha. 1 - 7 are not stormy ocean. No sense of danger. They are way off. Don't think the devs are just after technology only. Read the KZ3 frozen shores article.

Ha ha. 1 - 7 are not stormy ocean. No sense of danger. They are way off. Don't think the devs are just after technology only. Read the KZ3 frozen shores article.

Maybe not the Silent Hunter 4 one but it still got large waves. The other ones are stormy with large waves and rough water surface. They deliver the sense of "danger" as a human in those water conditions would have to strugle to survive under such rough water conditions. :smile:

That screenshot shows really low polygon water compared to what is needed for detailed realistic 3D water. Please see the real deal in person, difference is massive. I would go to say even C&C3 water looks more realistic not becouse it is 3D but becouse it also has bump mapping simulation on the surface simulating the small waves in 2D in a convincing way. Also some other games have far better rough ocean implementation.

That looks FAR from real, to me. Plus, I asked for real life video/moving images to compare in to. Screenshots aren't going to cut it. Sorry. ;)

That looks FAR from real, to me. Plus, I asked for real life video/moving images to compare in to. Screenshots aren't going to cut it. Sorry. ;)

They all look much better and real in motion and while I agree they aren't as good as reality but look better/real or far better/real than what is shown in KZ3, especially in motion. Anyway Youtube probably has videos for all those games at some setting.

They all look much better and real in motion and while I agree they aren't as good as reality but look better/real or far better/real than what is shown in KZ3, especially in motion. Anyway Youtube probably has videos for all those games at some setting.
I have shown moving images for KZ3's water and 22m waves in real life. People can see they look VERY close to each other. I'm not sure what some of you are trying to accomplish, by saying otherwise.

BTW, I remember you holding up the beach waves in Crysis because of the big waves on the beach. Of course, the effect is only for a few meters. Then, the water goes placid. :smile:

Maybe not the Silent Hunter 4 one but it still got large waves. The other ones are stormy with large waves and rough water surface. They deliver the sense of "danger" as a human in those water conditions would have to strugle to survive under such rough water conditions. :smile:

The Deadliest Catch one is right on the mark. That's what I have in mind when I saw the KZ3 waves.
Argh, wrong one... Lucid_Dreamer's link should be the reference video:

The waves you showed and the R2 one L_Scotfield mentioned look like regular waves to me (The R2 scene is in San Francisco bay, near where I live).

I mentioned R2 deep sea waves are a little weird because they look normal when left alone, but when you fight the Kraken, they start to act up a little. These weird new waves will eventually calm now, so you can tell the differences.

Looks exactly like KZ2 to me but at this point it's still too earlier to tell how it'll turn out. And the first thing I noticed in the trailer was the water. Pretty horrible, in my opinion. Gameplay looks good though and the new additions seem like a nice touch.

Gah... it's not as soft looking as KZ2. The lens flare is still there but I think the post processing has been dialed back.

If they already have really polished visuals in pre-alpha, I can't imagine what the final picture will look like.

When you're that close to rough water, it should feel a little like raining too. Anyway, can't wait to see more at a later stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back