Warhawk Beta - May 24 (registration open!)

I am in Euroland. There is no "underground" section on the Euro site there's just a forum.

I've registered anyway with underground with the email address I used for my proper euro PSN account.

Hopefully this will help me get in on future beta's (if indeed it is the case that I have missed out on this one)

You can also check from here if you have an Underground registration with the same email address as your PSN account.
https://www.betatest.us.playstation.com/

Like this is what I see right now.
Code:
Current Beta

You are enrolled in the following Beta Program.

Warhawk Public Beta
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Beta Start 5/24/08 - Beta End 6/26/08

Thanks for the link, looks like I'm in, though Sony never told me.

Like this is what I see right now.
Code:
Current Beta

You are enrolled in the following Beta Program.

Warhawk Public Beta
Sony Computer Entertainment America
Beta Start 5/24/08 - Beta End 6/26/08

Too bad the beta does'nt start until 24 of may 2008...:rolleyes:

Being in eurpoe also i had not heard of undergorund. But when this topic was created i went and signed up for it with the same emails i signed up for psn with, don't think ive got an email but tonight i'll go home and see if my ps3 shows me anything, would be great to get in.

I am in Euroland. There is no "underground" section on the Euro site there's just a forum.

I've registered anyway with underground with the email address I used for my proper euro PSN account.

Hopefully this will help me get in on future beta's (if indeed it is the case that I have missed out on this one)

If you want to get in on SCEA betas, I'd recommend registering for the PSU using the same email as you used with your US PSN account. If you don't already have a US PSN account, do that first obviously. I'd say if they filter these beta applications at all, one of the first things to check would probably be whether the PSN account is a US one or not.

I didn't get in, I think I will change my underground account to use the US PSN account I have set up.

I played a bit last night, it like a 3rd person future Battlefield series. Fast paced, large maps (which are dynamic is size, depends on the number of players).

The Good:
-Good graphics, 4X AA, nice explosions, scope is very large. You can fly up high and look down at the map. Frame rates is really smooth.
-Sixaxis works well for flying, but it's optional.
-All the game modes you expect.
-Dedicated and P2P servers.
-Jeeps, Tanks, Warhawk, AA guns - all seemed balanced.

The Bad:
-Locks the Ps3 up hard. I had to reboot twice, others are reporting this.
-Cannot turn motion control for flying only (?)
-Animation on foot looks strange, as do the models (might be a "look").
-Lots of brown in the maps I played.
-Voice was spotty, lots of feedback from other people.
-No offline practice maps or bots?

I think the game will be great for those who love to live and compete online. I'm not really one of them, but if it was $30-$40 from the PSN it might be worth it. No way I'm ever paying $60 for MP only.

Isn't there an NDA on this or are we allowed to talk about it?

I won't say much until I am sure. I can say that I suck at this game! But when it is fun it is fun. And damn it looks even better than I anticipated. 4xAA @ 60fps I believe.

Isn't there an NDA on this or are we allowed to talk about it?

I won't say much until I am sure. I can say that I suck at this game! But when it is fun it is fun. And damn it looks even better than I anticipated. 4xAA @ 60fps I believe.

I never heard anything about an NDA, talk about the game is all over the net, but if I find out I'll remove my comments. It's a public beta like Halo 3 I think.

thanks for the impressions!

pics anyone?

Is there a Capture the flag type mode etc?

is there actual ground combat where you control a soldier and run around?

if so, how much ground battle is there compared to the air?

How does it compare to say Crimson Skies?

thanks

pics anyone?

thanks

there's videos on youtube

Here's an exciting in-depth review. I'm not providing the link as this is just a gamer posting comments on a website and while he can't find anything regarding an NDA either, I thought it best to err on the side of caution and not expose him. I hear rumors that they are banning some beta testers for this behavior.
Ok, here are my impressions. I didn't see anyhing NDA related in the agreement plan, so I figure I'm safe. Very, very long, but I hope it gives everyone an idea of what this game is so far. I looked at all the agreements at the beginning and I don't seem to see anything NDA related, so here goes. Warning, it's a long one.

MOTION CONTROLS: They are tight, responsive, and best of all, customizable. You can choose the sensitivity of the tilt, to give it the hard rock at a hair trigger or a nice gentle hand barely gliding around.

It takes some getting used to, to be sure, and the general lightness of the SIXAXIS make it hard to get a feel for, because it's so easy to over correct. You can turn them off completely and just play with the analog sticks, which is nice, but it limits you. True to what the developers said, it takes a lot of work to get good with the motion, but when you do, you get REALLY good.

For one thing, it allows you to free up the left stick for movement of your target reticule independent of your plane. It gives your aim a lot more room, and makes it really hard for someone to shake you. Again, it takes some practice, because you have to train your brain to basically pilot two separate things on screen at once.

As far as EVERYTHING controls (on foot, ground vehicles, Warhawks...) everything is tight, fast paced, easy to pick up. Aside from learning to fly and independently aim, there is practically no learning curve as far as the controls are concerned. And even that you don't have to do if you don't want to. You can still be quite effective as a killing machine using only the analog sticks.

GRAPHICS: Simply awesome. The character models that got made fun of really aren't as bad as you'd think. Big feet vs. Gears of War's impossibly large shoulders. What the hell, it makes it unique.

The move great, and seem to have an actual weight behind them. They don't just glide over the ground when you run, and if you run backwards or sideways, you can actually see them hop a bit to keep moving, same as a person would.

The textures are all nice and lively, and the only "Brown is Next Gen" level is one that is a war-torn, bomb gutted city that is perpetually on fire. It fits the atmosphere of that level. Other levels, like the one most played, takes place in a "Far Cry" like pair of islands, full of jungles and underbrush to hide in, and connected by two bridges that act as major choke points in "Zone" games (more on that later.) The map is bright, colorful, and just full of places to hide. That includes the clouds, incidentally. Big puffy masses that are easily flown into and can mask your target signature. It won't shake a missile off your tail, but I have flown into it and turned on my hover, and lost quite a few pursuers that just fly by not knowing where I went.

All over the maps, there are destructible objects waiting to be... Well, destroyed. Park benches, thin trees, street lamps... Whatever. There are completely invulnerable trees, of course, but what can you do? Hanging around your base is nice, because you have access to all the firepower it provides, but one well placed machine gun burst could take out half your team, thanks to the tons of explosive piles of junk laying around. Missiles on racks waiting to be loaded, O2 welding tanks, fuel barrels... Just don't stand near them during a firefight, trust me. I blew up two jeeps and a hovering Warhawk with one grenade earlier tonight. It was the highlight of my day, I'll tell you that..

The planes all look superb, and the red team's (whatever their name is, I don't even remember anymore) Warhawks just look plain scary. It's like you took a stealth bomber, gave it hover jets and fans, and made it look like a manta ray.

As someone said, customization is kind of... Limited at this point. You see the options for imported logos for uniforms and decals on vehicles, but they are disabled for Beta purposes. Right now, you have the choice of two different looks per side. Before you jump into the plane, it looks its standard color (black for the red team, army green for the blue team.) After you jump in, it has a cool morphing effect where it changes to "your" planes color, paint job, and eventually will take on decals and other personalization marks. It's going to be pretty cool to see tailored squadrons flying about.

The only texture that doesn't look great the water, but that's only when up close, as from the air or just driving by it looks incredible. But lapping up on shore, it looks to be just a standard, mercury like substance with no transparency. Incidentally, don't get to close, because water in the Warhawk universe kills on touch No swimming to the next island here, folks, better catch a ride..

WEAPONS: Oh, the glorious, glorious weapons. Not many of them, and not anything you haven't had before, but hell of a lot of fun to play with. Very satisfying.

First off, you start out with two frag grenades, a one-hit kill knife, and a pistol. Grenades are a little difficult, because they explode practically on impact, so there isn't much bouncing around corners. The knife is effective, and easier to use than you might think. Hold the trigger, it will lock onto your target, so when you get close all you have to do is tap the trigger again to gut your enemy from stomach to neck.

The pistol is godly, folks. It has infinite ammo, is crazy accurate at short to medium ranges, and fires as fast as you can tap the trigger. I can't tell you how many times I get in close and abandon my machine gun for the handy, dandy pistol to score a couple headshots and clear my zone.

There are more weapons available for pick up, glowing various colors so you can see what they are from a distance. Kind of arcady, but it actually doesn't bother you as much as you'd think in a game this fast paced.

The flamethrower doesn't really set things alight so much as put out a solid stream of damage shaped like a cone in front of you. Your opponents don't stay on fire, but they usually won't stay alive long enough for that to matter. Machine gun works like a rapid fire pistol, but crouching is necessary to get any decent accuracy out of it. This makes you kind of slow, but you dish out damage by the truck load. The rocket launcher is great, because it acts as your general "anti-anything" weapon. Shoot a vehicle, shoot a person, even hold the trigger for a second and it will lock on that pesky Warhawk perched above raining down machine gun fire and drop half it's health in a single shot.

There are other small arms weapons like the insanely powerful sniper rifle, but the only other one of serious note are the binoculars. It doesn't sound like much, but hear me out. I am not sure what these exactly do yet, but the long and short of it is you zoom in, hold the trigger to target anyplace on the map, and some sort of laser oriented orbital air strike hits, decimating about two virtual blocks into chunks of fiery debris (which also looks good, as the vehicles blow apart very satisfyingly.) Very rare to find a set of these things, but very fun once you do. I had someone actually use them on me while I hovered in a Warhawk above a flag, protected the folks below trying to cap it (the laser moves VERY fast.) I blew up, and the laser continued it's path into my teammates below which included three foot soldiers, two jeeps, a tank, and myself. Nothing but burning cars and ragdoll corpses flying about like a gruesome ballet. Sure, we lost the flag, but it looked so freaking COOL.

Along the way, you can find and jump into mounted weapons, whether they be on a vehicle, a mounted MG on the ground, or anti-aircraft flak cannons (also useful to idiots getting to close on the ground) and giant anti-aircraft missile batteries that lock on and fire to gigantic homing missiles. You don't want to be on the receiving end of these things.

The Warhawks themselves start out with machine guns with no worries about ammo, only overheating, five or so "Swarm Missiles" that you can lock multiple onto one target and release a torrent of rocketed death, and one chaff to shake unwanted missile attention. You can fly through and pick up other weapons, and they are some REAL good fun.

TOW missile, which is fired while hovering, goes into a black and white camera mode where you guide it to something you want to kill up close and personal like, but don't want to go through all that trouble of being shot. The Lightning gun, which can be charged up and fired at a vehicle, causing a lot of damage over time to it and anyone near it, or at the ground, where it electrifies the area and hurts anything dumb enough to stick around. Very useful for getting peons off your flag. Also useful to tag a Warhawk with, because even if the pilot finds a place to land, and gets out, the still pulsing electricity is sure to fry them before they can get out of range.

Homing missiles, floating "air mines," and area clearing cluster bombs round out the rest of the weapon set. The cluster bombs have already become a contest of sorts, as you see people not content to just fly overhead slowly and drop them, or hover over top a flag and release fragmented death. Oh no, these hotshots have to come in at full afterburned speed (slight speed boost by holding R2, but double tapping R2 causes you to shoot blue flames and go supersonic for a short, rechargeable time) and dive bomb targets. And they have already gotten really good, hitting tanks, moving jeeps, even hovering Warhawks. Never underestimate a dedicated player.

You can pick up health, refills on weapons, and that sort of thing just by flying through them (also glowing about the map, only a lot bigger and on mountain tops.) Usually, however, there is someone trying to shoot your ass off, so be quick about it.

GAME MODES: Your standard affair of Deathmatch, Team deathmatch, Capture the flag... All things we've seen before, though well executed here. There is an option when you are setting up a server to allow flags to be carried in Warhawks, which sounds kind of cheap until you realize that you can't just bail out of a Warhawk at any time. You have to find a spot the Warhawk deems worthy of landing, which just means some place wide enough to touch the wheels down. This seems to be the only real use for the passenger in the Warhawk, as you can nab the enemy flag, jump off the bases roof all Bruce Willis like, and land on your friends wing. Jump in the cockpit and you are on your way.

The real star game mode is "Zone," however. This is probably going to be the most played mode in this game, because it's strangely addicting.

The general idea is this: You have a series of bases with flag poles in the middle, via the Battlefield series. You go and capture them. The catch is that standing in that area expands that bases "sphere of influence" up to three stages. The longer you stay there, the wider it gets, and each stage provides that base with nifty things like jeeps, tanks, weapons, and Warhawks. At first, you have to be on top of the flag to start expanding the influence, but as your zone gets bigger, so does your room to move. The more teammates in your sphere, the faster the little HUD meter will fill up, expanding it to the next level. However, the bigger your sphere, the more likely there is an enemy lurking somewhere in there, which halts the expansion meter completely in it's tracks (though it doesn't lower until he gets on top of the flag himself, repeating the process in reverse.)

This expansion also keeps nearby bases controlled by the enemy from growing any larger, as these zones cannot overlap. So if your zone gets big first, they will be stuck at "Zone level 2" and unable to grow any larger. This means no Warhawks will spawn in that zone until they can get into your offending base, shrink your zone, and give their little baby zone some room to grow big and strong.

You'd think this mode would get boring, with only the four or five maps provided in Beta, but since each Zone map has about five different kinds of sub-modes themselves, it really doesn't. These modes do anything from rearrange the base points, creating certain choke points that weren't there before, or other modes make it so you have to take over zones in a chain, much like Unreal Tournaments "Onslaught Mode." Making you unable to just cap any old base, you have to control each subsequent base in a row until you get to the enemies main base, eventually destroying it.

On top of all THAT, each map seems to have it's own personalized zone modes, like one that has an interior laden burned out, rubble filled castle that is the linchpin of the map. It effectively causes a "King of the Hill/Castle" game to break out. Interior battles + flame thrower = fun, folks. Another map called "Archipelago" is a series of islands on long spindles of land, effectively raising you to an altitude well about the cloud cover. Thus, it lends to a nice game of "Island Hopping" where you have to control an islands base to get the necessary vehicles to spawn to get to the NEXT island, to take that one over. Sure, you can spawn back at your already captured bases to get a ride, but it leaves the base of the front line undefended. It's a game of nothing but choke points, and it can take a while, but it's never boring.
Oh, and I forgot the map:

Minimap is effective, telling you where to find vehicles, turrets, flags, spheres of influence, and enemies.

That last one works rather nicely, as you only show up on the map if someone shoots at you (turning the cross hairs red,) or you discharge your weapon near an enemy. Thus, if you want to play all stealthy like, just run around the enemy base, knifing folks in the back. Using the knife does not make you show up on the enemies map, keeping you in the shadows as long as you are good at being sneaky.

Pushing Select will expand the map to half the screen, and is fairly transparent, so you can find your way around much easier and know what's coming at you while not loosing the entire view of that cliff you're about to run off.
Few other things before I go to bed:

Clan support is up and running. Anyone in your XMB buddy list is also in your Warhawk buddy list. They are on the list whether they are in the Beta or not, but it tells you if they have the game or not, and what game they are currently in. If they happen to be playing Warhawk, you can jump right into their game with them.

Yes, I know, Live does it already, and much better, since you can contact them no matter what game is there... But this is the PS3, and we'll take any bone we can get in this department right now. ;)

Split screen support works awesome. You can be playing your game, and have a second person just hit the button, and they join right in on the same game on the same server. Servers have the option to force split screen users on the same team, so you don't have to worry about a spy among your ranks telling their buddy where you and your anti-aircraft rocket are hiding. Same reason for no cross-team mic communication, I imagine.

Their names right now just show up as a duplicate, as I was Player, and my friend was Player(2). I don't know if they will in the future allow a second player to keep a profile on the game to sign into the game under their own name, but I hope they do.

When your screen-mate quits, he signs out like any other player and your screen switches back to normal.

Quite an ingenious little system, I have to say.
Sounds like a pretty awesome game. I'm impressed. :D

-aldo

Last edited by a moderator:

pics anyone?

Yes, all the normal modes you would find in these type of games.

Of course, you can skip air combat altogether and play the game like any other MP shooter, but it is 3rd person. Or you can play air only and just take to the skies, provided you can find a Warhawk. It's like the Battlefield series, but I don't think the air will dominate as much - ground forces have rocket launchers with lock-on and AA guns.

The first thing of thought of while playing in the air was Crimson Skies. You can do special moves like rolls with the right analog stick. The air combat was very well done, some of the guys online are experts, which makes it hard for the newbies to learn. There are also mid-air powerup for weapons, stealth, chaff, health, etc. You can switch to hover mode to attack ground forces and land. I landed on the flag and jumped out and took off running last night.

I triple checked the end user license agreement. I didn't see anything about a non disclosure agreement. So I guess it must be fine to talk about it.

My summary of the graphics in one word is - smooth. The frame rate is rock solid @ 60fps. And there is not a jaggie to be seen. There is some minor flickering on the character models self shadowing. But otherwise almost no glitches. Texture filtering looks really good too. Everything just looks great and consistent at all distances. This engine was obviously designed around flying around in a warhawk. There are many "wow" moments are when you are flying around.

Unfortunately I haven't really been able to get deep into it yet because I suck with the default controls. I need to have the trigger button on my L1 not my R1. This is the only way I know how to play console FPS games. I can switch around the 2 analog sticks, but you can't switch around the triggers.

I need to be able to aim with my right thumb, move with my left thumb, and hit the fire button with my left finger! If I can't do this I am basically about as valuable as a crippled invalid on the battlefield - at least when on foot. I am incapable of aiming and shooting with the same hand! And I can only aim well with the right hand. So I am bit screwed here.

Please add a more comprehensive system for remapping the controls! Something like the Resistance system would be perfect.

Fortunately, the vehicle and war hawk controls are a easier for me to grasp even with the default layout. And flying the Warhawk is quite fun, even if you are not very good at it. I think they've got the ground work for a good game here. Now it's just about fixing playability issues and balancing the game.

I might post more on the game after I have played it some more.

I like what I'm hearing and hope to see more vids. It was understandable that folks were livid over the dropping of the single player game but if Sony keeps this relatively cheap (30usd) and gives the option for course downloads this could be a good value. To steal a quote from a dev working on Tom Clancy's End War (EGM July), this could be Sony's "Madden War".

I went to the beta forums to check on the NDA. It seems you can talk about the game, but cannot post pics or videos.

They need to fix the crashing issue before anyone can hope to fully play matches to competition.

Back