Wardevil, new xenon game? If these are real time graphics...

Ty said:
hovz said:
nah, eq2. apparently you cant run max settings on todays cards. i say bad programming because the game doesnt look too good, not to good at all :?

What makes you think it's the programming and not the art?

if their art design and programming requires that level of horsepower to render a game that isnt even visually impressive than wouldnt you say its bad programming? i can understand if the game is system limited because of all the overhead of an mmorpg, but the game is graphics limited on even the most powerful cards. there is no graphics overhead in an mmorpg.

london-boy said:
Some of those screens seem realtime, and some pre-rendered. The prerendered ones are blurrier than the others (video compression running at a lower res than a typical game) and they're the ones with black borders at the top and bottom. They're taken straight from the trailer. And it's evident that the prerendered ones look way better than the realitme ones.

The prerendered trailer looks better mainly because it has DOF effects and nice AA...

those realtime screenshots lokk almost as good as 3dmark05. definitly better than anything we have today tho.

bigbud120 said:
www.wardevil.com

And just to make sure no one else gets the satisfaction, let me be the first to say - This game looks just like Doom 3/Far Cry. :LOL:

What, together? You mean there are closed corridors with hundreds of trees in the game? Or that it looks plastic^2?

hovz said:
if their art design and programming requires that level of horsepower to render a game that isnt even visually impressive than wouldnt you say its bad programming?

Uh, my answer would be "not necessarily". Which is why I asked you, 'how did you come to the conclusion that EQ2 runs poorly because of the programming and not the art?'

hovz said:
i can understand if the game is system limited because of all the overhead of an mmorpg, but the game is graphics limited on even the most powerful cards. there is no graphics overhead in an mmorpg.

I have no idea what you mean by "graphics overhead". Anyhow consider the following questions.

1> Would you consider Doom3 to be good programming?
2> What would happen if Doom3 shipped with models that used 1 billion polys and no LODs?

The answer to 2 is that it would run like crap.

Next question to answer then is, "would you consider Doom3 in that example to be an example of poor programming or poor art?"

My point is, that there is more to the performance of an engine than just the programming.

london-boy said:
bigbud120 said:
www.wardevil.com

And just to make sure no one else gets the satisfaction, let me be the first to say - This game looks just like Doom 3/Far Cry. :LOL:

What, together? You mean there are closed corridors with hundreds of trees in the game? Or that it looks plastic^2?

I should have put a [/sarcasm] at the end or worded it better. I just meant that anytime a new graphics engine is shown, no matter how great it is, somone will always say the graphics don't look any better than Doom 3 or Farcry.

Ty said:
hovz said:
if their art design and programming requires that level of horsepower to render a game that isnt even visually impressive than wouldnt you say its bad programming?

Uh, my answer would be "not necessarily". Which is why I asked you, 'how did you come to the conclusion that EQ2 runs poorly because of the programming and not the art?'

hovz said:
i can understand if the game is system limited because of all the overhead of an mmorpg, but the game is graphics limited on even the most powerful cards. there is no graphics overhead in an mmorpg.

I have no idea what you mean by "graphics overhead". Anyhow consider the following questions.

1> Would you consider Doom3 to be good programming?
2> What would happen if Doom3 shipped with models that used 1 billion polys and no LODs?

The answer to 2 is that it would run like crap.

Next question to answer then is, "would you consider Doom3 in that example to be an example of poor programming or poor art?"

My point is, that there is more to the performance of an engine than just the programming.

if they include models that are compsed of 1 billion polys and dont include a lod algorithm id say its bad programming. i dont think doom 3 is badly programmed engine wise. i think the gameplay sucks tho.

hovz said:
if they include models that are compsed of 1 billion polys and dont include a lod algorithm id say its bad programming. i dont think doom 3 is badly programmed engine wise. i think the gameplay sucks tho.

Uh, afaik LODs are NOT algorithmically generated.

Let me make it clearer for you.

What if the art for EQ2 was built poorly such that there are/were 10k poly swords with zero LODs? What if there were 20megs of textures for certain character models? That is NOT programming's fault.

ty im aware of the difference between art design and programming. when i say a game is poorly programmed it generally encompases the entire game.

hovz said:
ty im aware of the difference between art design and programming. when i say a game is poorly programmed it generally encompases the entire game.

Ok, that's just a very broad definition then that I doubt most here use. Maybe what you really mean is poorly "made".

that video totally looked like pre-rendered CGI. I highly doubt Xbox2 will be able to pull that off, realtime, in a tech demo, let alone gameplay.

the Playstation3 might be able to do it as a tech demo.

I havent had a chance to see the still shots and compare them to the video.

for now I'll simply go with what someone else or several others have said, in that it was partly pre-rendered CGI and partly realtime.

If Xbox2 had 3-4 times the power of NV40 / GeForce 6800, that would be really really good, not just 'decent' :D

we're not going to get midrange CGI (what's used as game-CGI) quality/complexity, in-gameplay, until maybe Xbox3 in 2009-2010.

after viewing the vid for a 2nd time, I could tell that some of it at least *looked* realtime. the stuff that was blurry and had perfect motion blurr was obviously pre-rendered.

it's easy too "beef up" good realtime graphics with CGI, to make the whole thing look better.

the line between realtime and CGI is becoming somewhat blurred.

True, but I wouldn't expect any of the next gen consolew to perform anything above what we saw in unreal 3 at a more interactive framerate.

Also eveyrone is saying 6 month time difference bewtten Xbox 2 and PS3. Imo not enough time to have a large leap in visual quality.

I would think what we've seen of Unreal 3, and that Morrowind could be the average of what we might see on next gen consoles, at stable 30 fps, with animation about Half Life 2 level, with levels and worlds that are also about the size of HL2 and with world effects and animation at that level too.
That would be at launch, and a year or so after.
After that, there will be better looking games.

It really is too early to predict what, if much, difference in visual output there will be between the next gen consoles, as there has been virtually no demos or official specs from any of them.

It's easy to speculate and say there will be not much difference.
There are visible differences between current consoles, even though the mainstream gamer probably can not tell it, but it is a fact, that there are games for the xbox that could not be reproduced for PS2 without sacrificing in visual impact and quality.

So, imo it's safe to assume there will be very visible differences between next gen consoles if there is a gap of 6 months + between their releases.

Back