Wardevil, new xenon game? If these are real time graphics...

hovz said:
Jov said:
hovz said:
2 6800 ultras in sli mode would probably run 3dmark 05 game tests at an average of 35 fps assuming nvidia can get almost double the performance of a 6800 ultra under all conditions. 35 fps isnt that great, and the game tests arent even full games. so to answer your question no. but xbox2 doesnt have to be twice as powerful as a 6800 ultra or an xtpe because it doesnt have any of the overhead of a pc.

True, Xbox 2 doesn't have the overhead of a PC, but it will be using a dev toolset from the PC world (XNA) with some level of middleware, right?

By the sound of things the Xbox to needs to be what ~3-4 times the 6800 or X800 to have decent performance.

To be fair, if the PS3 is at this level I'll be just as surprised. *keeping my expectations low* :D

what ????????????????? :?

Your point, Xbox 2 will perform better because it does not have an OS to deal with.

Agreed, but if the XNA is truly what its talk up to be, then I don't see the huge benefit of XNA on Xbox compared to it on PC. i.e. games developed with XNA will roughly have a similar overhead.

Jov said:
hovz said:
Jov said:
hovz said:
2 6800 ultras in sli mode would probably run 3dmark 05 game tests at an average of 35 fps assuming nvidia can get almost double the performance of a 6800 ultra under all conditions. 35 fps isnt that great, and the game tests arent even full games. so to answer your question no. but xbox2 doesnt have to be twice as powerful as a 6800 ultra or an xtpe because it doesnt have any of the overhead of a pc.

True, Xbox 2 doesn't have the overhead of a PC, but it will be using a dev toolset from the PC world (XNA) with some level of middleware, right?

By the sound of things the Xbox to needs to be what ~3-4 times the 6800 or X800 to have decent performance.

To be fair, if the PS3 is at this level I'll be just as surprised. *keeping my expectations low* :D

what ????????????????? :?

Your point, Xbox 2 will perform better because it does not have an OS to deal with.

Agreed, but if the XNA is truly what its talk up to be, then I don't see the huge benefit of XNA on Xbox compared to it on PC. i.e. games developed with XNA will roughly have a similar overhead.

theres much more overhead than just the os

hovz said:
Jov said:

theres much more overhead than just the os

Besides the major difference in design, as one is general purpose and the other a dedicate machine. For the gain as a dedicated hardware, there are also tradeoffs (memory, disk, xGHhz).

This might be getting off the rails here, but the bottom-line is you put forth a positive point for the Xbox graphics capability when compared to the overhead in a PC, but didn't take other benefits from the PC into account.

the only benefit a pc brings performance wise besides having new parts released every few months is the ammount of ram.

london-boy said:
Jov said:
By the sound of things the Xbox needs to be what ~3-4 times the 6800 or X800 to have decent performance.

:oops: God, someone's demanding today...

3-4 times a 6800 decent? Good lord!!!

ya especially when you realize that theres only 1 game that pushes the nv40, and even then i think its just lousy programming.

hovz said:
london-boy said:
Jov said:
By the sound of things the Xbox needs to be what ~3-4 times the 6800 or X800 to have decent performance.

ya especially when you realize that theres only 1 game that pushes the nv40, and even then i think its just lousy programming.

What would that be? Doom3? HL2? :oops: :LOL:

Nothing pushes the latest cards of today. Maybe 3DMark, and even then i'm not sure how "optimised" that is, since it has to run on many different platforms.

A console with a NV40/R420 would produce immensely better graphics than we can see today. Just the fact that the games would be built from the ground up with DX9 in mind, using as many resources as possible without worrying about Juan Carlos in Venezuela who needs to play on his P2+Voodoo3, should tell u something.

london-boy said:
hovz said:
london-boy said:
Jov said:

What would that be? Doom3? HL2? :oops: :LOL:

Nothing pushes the latest cards of today. Maybe 3DMark, and even then i'm not sure how "optimised" that is, since it has to run on many different platforms.

A console with a NV40/R420 would produce immensely better graphics than we can see today. Just the fact that the games would be built from the ground up with DX9 in mind, using as many resources as possible without worrying about Juan Carlos in Venezuela who needs to play on his P2+Voodoo3, should tell u something.

nah, eq2. apparently you cant run max settings on todays cards. i say bad programming because the game doesnt look too good, not to good at all :?

hovz said:
nah, eq2. apparently you cant run max settings on todays cards. i say bad programming because the game doesnt look too good, not to good at all :?

Oh ok. Well as you said, Max requirements != Max potential from the cards.

london-boy said:
Jov said:

Hold on, decent in terms of the graphics level in the Wardevil trailer. Follow the thread and not take selective bits and take it out of context! :D

hovz said:

What makes you think it's the programming and not the art?

The first 25 pics from that site should be the average what next gen game worlds will look like detail, texture and lighting wise, imo. And run above 30fps too. They aren't that complex after all, even if you add a couple of detailed characters there. Those worlds pictured in those 25 first pics need little or no animation, as they are very "rigid" and "dead"(stone walls, hard architecture, no organic objects or much animating backgrounds...)

The pics have very much the same look as those Unreal 3 pics earlier, same engine?

But it is safe to assume the game wil look not quite as sharp, as these are after all prerendered concept shots with much higher AA and resolution than what will be available on xbox2 connected to your TV.
The rest of the pics are obviously from a prerendered cgi seguence, concept object and character renders and painitngs.

Some of those screens seem realtime, and some pre-rendered. The prerendered ones are blurrier than the others (video compression running at a lower res than a typical game) and they're the ones with black borders at the top and bottom. They're taken straight from the trailer. And it's evident that the prerendered ones look way better than the realitme ones.

london-boy said:
Tried EQ2? ;) Then again, I think EQ2 is able to rape just about every part of your system if you give it the chance. MMORPG's are bad enough as is, but attach a really huge graphical engine to it, and...! And it certainly looks great for what it is. MMO's can't support the same design and direction of other games like and FPS. I mean, you can take issue with the art direction itself (rather than the technical holdbacks), but whatever. <shrugs> That's going to always be personal opinion.

Back