WarDevil is now a PS3 exclusive

These shots are not new - they're from E3. The E3 trailer was supposedly realtime (and given from what I recall of the framerate, I'd believe that), the one before that was CG.

I think it looks great in stills, but the E3 trailer just looked awkward and clumsy in motion.

According to their website (goto images>RTE 1080 Gallery):

"All images in this gallery are down-sized from the original 1920x1080(HD) output and are 100% in-game assets. They feature DOF (depth of field) but do not show the Camera based Motion Blur."

Edit - I got it now. The original shots are "RTE 1080" showcase shots, while the latest shots are from "Enigma" which is the actual PS3 game. So both are realtime, but the enigma shots are clearly a step below to my eyes anyways.

You can browse the images by going to http://www.wardevil.com/, check out the image gallery. The old shots are under "RTE 1080 Gallery" and the new stuff under "Enigma"
That solves it. But 1 question still remains, are the "showcase" shots just in-game assets in a pre-rendered scene? Such as Halo 3's commercial. That would explain the difference in quality.

Either way, I think the e3 demo was pretty impressive graphically, but as I said earlier I would like to see some gameplay from WD.

Actually they claimed it was real time. They said that their engine is capable to create CGI quality visuals with effects seen in CGI movies. PR? Well I dont know. In some of their trailers they shocased various development stages of some scenes as they progressed to the final quality which was like CGI

I think I remember some of what you were talking about. Wasnt there like a split screen video showcasing CGI and In-game assets together, and the difference between them were noticable but not enough to make the real time parts look that much worse. Its been a long time, so it's kinda fuzzy.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could be Real-Time IMO, the game would be a 2nd or 3th generation PS3 game?. I expect the game's to look pretty spectacular in the next 2-3 game generations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I remember some of what you were talking about. Wasnt there like a split screen video showcasing CGI and In-game assets together, and the difference between them were noticable but not enough to make the real time parts look that much worse. Its been a long time, so it's kinda fuzzy.
IIRC the engine was advertised as scaling to the workload. The original demo footage was the same assets being scaled from realtime game up to CGI movie quality.

As for the screenshots (I can only check a few pics as I'm currently on emergency dial-up because my router died and Belkin are taking their time to sort out a replacement...) the scenery is fantastic in detail and lighting. If that lighting isn't just baked on textures but has a bit of dynamism to it, it's very impressive. The character looks very out of place at the moment.

good news, it seems, for PS3 owners. :D

evidently exclusives are going to be hard to come by this gen and IMO are one of the few determining factors in choice of console purchase this gen.

so let's make those exclusives, worthwhile! :)

Hold on.

Stop and think what there are showing......

Very little draw distance.(does this engine do cities? Trees? mountains?, ect...)
2 or 3 characters on the screen.(why not 50? or 2,000?)
it's enclosed arena with not much being rendered.(walls, dust, 4 characters, sky, rubble)

You could take the boxers from FN3 and move them around an enclosed arena and it would look really good. :)

Need to see more........

My first impressions when I saw the pictures were Devil May Cry meets God of War :LOL: (gun weilding badass in a greek setting)

Its too early to judge the game by how it looks, so i'll hold back my comments :p hopefully its a good game :smile:

"All images in this gallery are down-sized from the original 1920x1080(HD) output and are 100% in-game assets.

Edit - I got it now. The original shots are "RTE 1080" showcase shots, while the latest shots are from "Enigma" which is the actual PS3 game. So both are realtime, but the enigma shots are clearly a step below to my eyes anyways.

You realise that a CG animation can use ingame assets too, right?

That is sure as hell not realtime ingame graphics. Perhaps oversampled framebuffer grabs rendered at like, 1 fps, but certainly not ingame.

AFAIK the previous "techdemo" has turned out to be prerendered CG animation, by the way.

They had the EXACT same sequence running in Real-Time on PS3 at this years E3. It looked IDENTICAL, well bar the obscene amounts of AA of course :)

Preview can be found here and a video of the 2006 E3 footage here

The video is pretty crappy but im sure you can find a better quality one :)

We don't know that.
I said that I don't see it as likely, which y'all should know since I just told you. ;) :p

At least what until you see some gameplay first.
Honestly, what's the probability of a game coming from a developer like digi-guys? They're so unknown I had to go to the games' site to find out the developer name. Even if the developer had a good track record, the complete focus on graphics should be a warning.

I don't see why I should wait to see a working product before guessing it's not worth following. I've found that developers surprising you with a good game is a much nicer feeling than holding out, waiting for a handful of projects to pan out. Because, inevitably, the previews aren't all bad, so you feel justified in holding out hope. But way more than half of those projects suck or never get finished.

Oh great! Another new video game title with the word War in it...

WarDevil
WarHawk
Gears of War
God of War
Lego Star Wars
Advance Wars
Warhammer 40k
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft
LOTR: War of the Ring
Warioware
GRAW: Adv Warfighter

At least those screenshots look promising.

Oh great! Another new video game title with the word War in it...

WarDevil
WarHawk
Gears of War
God of War
Lego Star Wars
Advance Wars
Warhammer 40k
Guild Wars
World of Warcraft
LOTR: War of the Ring
Warioware
GRAW: Adv Warfighter

At least those screenshots look promising.

Make love not war?

Just imagine all these titles with Love instead of War in their titles.

LoveDevil
LoveHawk
Gears of Love
God of Love
Lego Star Love
Advance Love
Lovehammer 40k
Guild Love
World of Lovecraft
LOTR: Love of the Ring
Loveioware
GRAL: Adv Lovefighter