WarDevil is now a PS3 exclusive

Andy Whitehurst, the director of the studios of Ignition announces today in an interview entrusted to the magazine in line agencyfaqs the wish to exclusively develop its WarDevil project on PlayStation 3. Let us recall that this play of action will use a single engine of play named RTE1080 and that the studio thus hopes to be able to benefit as well as possible from the capacities as much hardware that multi-media of the new console of Sony.

http://www.jeux-france.com/news18424_wardevil-seulement-sur-playstation-3.html

Thoughts?

I thought it was said to be a PS3 exclusive from the get go?

I wish I knew what the game entails... what type of game, setting/story, etc.

Could be good, but in all likelihood it'll be crap -- who knows though.

I thought it was said to be a PS3 exclusive from the get go?
I think it was orginally 360/PS3. But I guess I kinda expected it to be going the Sony route. IIRC they used some of sony's studios, and plan on using the CGI version of the development for some kind of blu-ray movie. Not to mention the ps3 e3 booth.

Anyways, graphics are certainly great looking (though I might change the character art around a bit), but I'm interested in seeing the gameplay (whenever that will be).

The before released realtime tech demo looked nicer...

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3017_en.html

Isnt that from the same thing? except one is direct feed and the other is handy cam video?

Graphics look good to me...anyhow the video which displays that scene seemed to suggest the engine was running at a very steady but low framerate...could be just how slow the main character animates though that makes it look like that.

I wonder if its sped up at all and what is happening with the game in general. I'm guessing that the differences between the PS3 and the X360 motivated the decision for exclusivity (again...it would seem). Maybe they just didn't have the resources to tap both platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways, graphics are certainly great looking (though I might change the character art around a bit), but I'm interested in seeing the gameplay (whenever that will be).

It must have been deliberate act to appease the Japanese execs. They made the character look effeminate, following in the footsteps of the FF7 movie, in order to secure funding. If it were on Xbox 360, the character would have Space Marine armour. :)

btw, the nut cup is um... wth? Cover it up!

If you look at the environment textures the new screens actually look better. Lighting too but it's hard to tell.

There's not as much going on in the scenes though.

-----------

I believe this bunch has only shown real time demonstrations. Those pics are from scenes where they go from wire frame to final output over a loop. They've done so with all the vids I've seen of the game.

They would be a fairly brazen bunch to pull such bold hoax's repeatedly. Although I'm not sure I remember them officially saying the vids were real time...it would be hard to deny that this is not what they wanted to public to believe.

I don't think it was ever confirmed, most people assumed it was, but when the name of the engine is "REAL TIME ENGINE 1080" it kinda makes you think they might actually be realtime :p
Yeah I think thats just the name of the engine name though (odd name for an engine). IIRC the site referenced cgi movies with in-game assets (something similar to halo 3 I would guess), and real time stuff in engine. Two different things I always thought, I'll have to check again.

edit:
video of the orginal 2004 trailer when there was no specific platform
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iuO5b_xKrjg
I can't imagine that being real time.

Yeah I think thats just the name of the engine name though (odd name for an engine). IIRC the site referenced cgi movies with in-game assets (something similar to halo 3 I would guess), and real time stuff in engine. Two different things I always thought, I'll have to check again.

According to their website (goto images>RTE 1080 Gallery):

"All images in this gallery are down-sized from the original 1920x1080(HD) output and are 100% in-game assets. They feature DOF (depth of field) but do not show the Camera based Motion Blur."

Edit - I got it now. The original shots are "RTE 1080" showcase shots, while the latest shots are from "Enigma" which is the actual PS3 game. So both are realtime, but the enigma shots are clearly a step below to my eyes anyways.

You can browse the images by going to http://www.wardevil.com/, check out the image gallery. The old shots are under "RTE 1080 Gallery" and the new stuff under "Enigma"

The first 2 videos released were CGI wernt they?

Actually they claimed it was real time. They said that their engine is capable to create CGI quality visuals with effects seen in CGI movies. PR? Well I dont know. In some of their trailers they shocased various development stages of some scenes as they progressed to the final quality which was like CGI

Back