Updated *fake* Rev specs?

You're take on the article made me think there were problems with the technology, but the article actually explains it differently. The supplier of the cooling tech (Nano Coolers) has undergone a corporate reshuffle and is redericting it's technological focus. It's Nano Coolers that are 'withdrawing' the product rather then Sapphire dropping the product due to any technical or performance reasons.

Even if Nano Coolers aren't providing this liquid metal cooling, the technology is still as capable and Revolution could still benefit from it's employment, unless the patent holders are Nano Coolers and there patent is wide enough to stop similar technologies, and they won't license the technology for Nintendo to use.

Shifty Geezer said:
You're take on the article made me think there were problems with the technology, but the article actually explains it differently. The supplier of the cooling tech (Nano Coolers) has undergone a corporate reshuffle and is redericting it's technological focus. It's Nano Coolers that are 'withdrawing' the product rather then Sapphire dropping the product due to any technical or performance reasons.

Even if Nano Coolers aren't providing this liquid metal cooling, the technology is still as capable and Revolution could still benefit from it's employment, unless the patent holders are Nano Coolers and there patent is wide enough to stop similar technologies, and they won't license the technology for Nintendo to use.

My bad. I have another written article in Maximum PC that claims Sapphire found the technology too expensive and thus dropped it.

So perhaps Sapphire found it too expensive and without a buyer, Nanocoolers decided to work on something else. After all, if there is no demand, there is little reason for them to continue to develop it.

From the Inquirer article I got the impression that Sapphire were basically cut out of using the cooler because NanoCoolers were withdrawing it, and the reason for withdrawing it was a shift in company direction towards ThinFilm technologies. My guess is this technology is a lot more profitable then the competitive GPU cooler market.

About the size of the Revolution I would expect it to be slightly (10-33%) bigger than a PC 5" 1/4 DVD-ROM drive.

Just did a quick check about slot-in drives found that:
Slot_in_Internal_COMBO_Drive__CD_RW___DVD_ROM_.jpg

Pretty neat ^^

(But yeah I'm going off-topic)

Shifty Geezer said:
From the Inquirer article I got the impression that Sapphire were basically cut out of using the cooler because NanoCoolers were withdrawing it, and the reason for withdrawing it was a shift in company direction towards ThinFilm technologies. My guess is this technology is a lot more profitable then the competitive GPU cooler market.

That's that funny thing tho, if Nanocooler had a customer, you'd think they'd at least supply the demand since after all, they spent all this R&D on creating this solution. /shrug.

Either way (as you mentioned) if Nanocoolers is indeed the primary patent holder AND they are dropping development of this technology, this likely means that Nintendo is probably NOT considering use of this. If Nintendo was, then I would think Nanocooler would still be focused on deployment of this technology.

So either Nintendo is going with another company that has a similar cooling solution or they weren't planning on using it in the first place. My guess is the latter as we have yet to hear about any company working with Nintendo yet and it's pretty late in the game.

I think he's right about the GPU being around 600Mhz...

But, just because it's 600Mhz doesn't mean it will be better than a fully equiped GPU of a lesser clockspeed...

About the size of the Revolution I would expect it to be slightly (10-33%) bigger than a PC 5" 1/4 DVD-ROM drive

Good pic, that's what I guessed for a slot loaded drive (5 inches). Then you have the quarter of an inch of case on either side of the drive making 6.5 inches for the system itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back