Untold Legends Vid!

Ben-Nice said:
I know...I'm asking you what is next gen gameplay in you opinion?

There's no such thing as next gen gameplay. People just expect it to be more innovative than before, so by saying it's not 'next gen' it's just another way of saying it lacks innovation.

Ben-Nice said:
Bigger and better! In the context of this genre, co-op hack-n-slash has stagnated at individuals pummeling simpleton bad-guys together on screen. There's lots of scope to vary the roles of players, create strong multiplayer strategies, mix up the variety of enemies and their combat styles and then making use of cooperative abilities to defeat them, and affect the fighting mechanics based on the qualities of the weapon, ideally through a phyiscs based animation, so weapon weight and size affects handling.

I played the original UL quite a bit on the PSP. Not bad, not great. The problem with it was that it just got very repetitive - but theres really only so much you can do with a top-down guantlet style game. Not sure what more they can do here but i wouldnt say the original would be an ideal blueprint for a 'great' next gen game.

That sums up that genre. There's little variety from beginning of the game to the end in gameplay. The chief reason for people to keep playing seems to come from finding junk and levelling up. Lose those aspects and I think the genre wouldn't hold people at all. DA was a great upgrade from Gauntlet and provided a fun co-op experience, but the genre needs some work now if it's not to remain repetitive.

scooby_dooby said:
Too Human sounds like anything but a generic hack n slash, we don't know since it's a new IP, can't say the same for untold legends which has a very poor track record. My only problem in that thread was people ripping apart the 'gameplay' on what was obviously not much more than a tech demo.

Not that I disagree with the assertion that UL is, in fact, generic garbage and a rip-off of what has come before it, but I did think the "new IP" quote was rather ironic considering Too Human has been in development far longer than Untold Legends has existed. :)

Shifty Geezer said:
That sums up that genre. There's little variety from beginning of the game to the end in gameplay. The chief reason for people to keep playing seems to come from finding junk and levelling up. Lose those aspects and I think the genre wouldn't hold people at all. DA was a great upgrade from Gauntlet and provided a fun co-op experience, but the genre needs some work now if it's not to remain repetitive.

Gauntlet is a generic action game and bears little resemblance to the hack & slash genre. What we're really talking about here is Diablo, Nethack, etc.

Ben-Nice said:
Good question although I think it was already answered.

Well, AI behaviour, Physics, Destructible Enviroments, and animation not yet seen in a current gen game.

For example the E3 target render demos (yeah I know they arent real) excited me not because the visual detail was great. I was excited due to the behaviour, interactivity, physics and animation these videos were supposed to tell we should expect from next gen.

Last 2 times I was that excited was when I saw the first MGS2 trailer and when I got my hands on it for the first time. These were the only moments in the previous gen I felt like moving to next gen.

Untold Legends on the other hand looks so current gen. And not on par with the good current gen games either. GoW, Ninja Gaiden and DMC3(and even DMC1) are better animated and a ten second video of gameplay of these games can show more variety in gameplay.

I know I am jumping to conclusions too soon but I think its no hard to notice that it looks too simple and restricted in terms of animation, physics, and AI..

ban25 said:
Not that I disagree with the assertion that UL is, in fact, generic garbage and a rip-off of what has come before it, but I did think the "new IP" quote was rather ironic considering Too Human has been in development far longer than Untold Legends has existed. :)

lol, that is kinda funny, but really you're totally stretching the definition of 'development'

Back