Untold Legends Vid!

Tap In said:
well I hear what you're saying but MS's online component is not an "impression"; it can be measured definitively because it is currently real and available.

I'm not saying that someone won't be able to eclipse it but the impression of it's use comes not from opinion but from experiencing it's execution.

Well I was talking about comparing their online solution today to what Sony is talking about having. Of course talk is cheap and Sony has to provide that service along with talking about it, but my point was those same lame and ignorant people that believed Sony when they said their system was 2x more powerful than the X360 are just as bad as thinking that MS's online solution on the X360 will be unmatched by any competitor and will blow the Sony solution out of the water.

mckmas8808 said:
Well I was talking about comparing their online solution today to what Sony is talking about having. Of course talk is cheap and Sony has to provide that service along with talking about it, but my point was those same lame and ignorant people that believed Sony when they said their system was 2x more powerful than the X360 are just as bad as thinking that MS's online solution on the X360 will be unmatched by any competitor and will blow the Sony solution out of the water.

oh I see where you were going now :smile:

Shifty Geezer said:
What exactly does that mean? how;s about we actaully see what people had to say...

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/untoldlegendsbrotherhoodoftheblade?q=untold%20legends

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/untoldlegendsthewarriorscode?q=untold%20legends

Reasonably high marks, which is what I'd expect for a 'nothing spectacular but solid genre game'. It's not breaking the world, but people who like the genre tend to like the game it seems. Reader review averages seem to be above 7/10. Maybe that's your definition of lame?

Honestly, the discussion and arguments of this place are really going down the pan at the moment.

Gamespot : 6.9/10

"As much as The Warrior's Code attempts to right the wrongs of Brotherhood of the Blade, the end result is only marginally more engaging. From far away, it looks like a nice, well-rounded package--five unique character classes to choose from, plenty of loot to collect, a sizable single-player campaign, and support for several flavors of multiplayer action. When you get up close with it, though, the pervasively shallow gameplay and overall monotony are too much to ignore."

Sounds pretty mediocre to say the least.

Kabbage said:
I hope people are expecting a full generational leap over..............Because I want them to be disappointed.

Just likethe people I think are expecting too much from next gen.

:???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Edge said:
It would be nice if people concentrated more on the positive, and talked about what they like (thus sharing their experience with us) instead of cutting down the competition. I'm a huge PS3 fan, but I see a lot of great stuff in the 360.

I agree, maybe the mods can put in an all-pro rule in for next week? :)

Edge said:
He said Too Human looked cool, and even defended any negative comments against it, even though it looks to be a simple hack n' slash game also. :D

Too Human sounds like anything but a generic hack n slash, we don't know since it's a new IP, can't say the same for untold legends which has a very poor track record. My only problem in that thread was people ripping apart the 'gameplay' on what was obviously not much more than a tech demo.

scooby_dooby said:
Too Human sounds like anything but a generic hack n slash, we don't know since it's a new IP, can't say the same for untold legends which has a very poor track record. My only problem in that thread was people ripping apart the 'gameplay' on what was obviously not much more than a tech demo.

I was only teasing you. I don't have any problems with your behaviour in either thread. :) I guess I should have used the sarcastic smiley. -> ;)

scooby_dooby said:
Gamespot : 6.9/10
Sounds pretty mediocre to say the least.
Ah, right. A single review from Gamespot trumps all other reviews, trumps IGN's 7.6, supercedes Eurogamer's 3/10, and those gamers that enjoyed it and rated it 8+ (fair few reader reviews on IGN) from their own personal perspective were also all wrong.

I can't believe you'd cite a single review summation value as proof the franchise is lame! Firstly reviews are personal, subjective things. One person's idea of dull monotonous gameplay is another person's 'easy pick-up-and-play gameplay'. I think Formula One racing the biggest bore on TV, but that doesn't mean it's lame for the millions of fans. Me rating Formula 1 a 2/10 sport is no indicator of the worth of the program. If the average review of Formula 1 is over 7/10, that's pretty good. And for fans of the genre, racing, it'll have even more appeal. If we look at the breakdown ratings for Gamespot : IGN

Graphics -- 7 : 8
Sound -- 6 : 3
Gameplay -- 7 : 8
Value (lasting appeal) -- 7 : 8

A huge discrepency on the sound. Who's right? Or is it more a matter of taste than an absolute rating? Do you want to persist with an argument that GameSpot rates UL 6.9/10 and so all other higher (and lower) ratings are invalid, or will you step down from that reasoning and recognise on average it was scoring 7+/10, more by fans of the genre?

Secondly, since when was a very near 7/10 'lame'? 7/10 is good, AFAIK (except maybe from Famitsu :p). Perhaps Gamespot has wierd ratings and anything below a 7 is regarded as rubbish? Their actual rating text is 'fair' and not 'lame' so if that's the case they're very misleading.

As I see it, the game is as described in plenty of reviews, a by-the-numbers hack-n-slash. Nothing spectacular, but the only option on PSP (at the time. XMen legends 2 is available now, and Justice League Heroes is coming too). Most games aren't spectacular. That's the truth on every platform. That doesn't make them all lame. there's room in this world for entertainments that don't score 90% all the time. Not every film, book, game, is going to be triple AAA uber-class quality. 'Good enough' is the main point. For people who like hack-n-slash and want it on a handheld, UL seems a solid if unspectcular title. Deriving from that the idea that UL on PS3 is expected to be lame is illogical. I expect again a solid if uninspired hack-n-slash, with improved graphics, as the first title in that genre to appear on PS3. It won't be a killer system seller, but it caters to those who want more of that type of game.

Look i'm not going to argue with you about the intricacies of game quality, and objective game reviews.

It's a mediocre to subpar game, and that's really all there is too it. Average score of 70% from 89 publications(gamerankings.com), including 6.9's from both IGN and Gamespot, a 5/10 from 1up, and 5.5/10 from EGM. Nuff said?

The point is, based on previous iterations of the franchise, and the fact that the GFX are not even close to jaw dropping, I don't think this game has anything going for it. Maybe they'll surprise us all and revolutionize the game mechanics, but I would certainly file that under 'unlikely'

Just seen the video. Cant say its ugly. Its nice actually. But for a PS3 game or a 360 game it doesnt look great. Gameplay looks too current gen too. Animation needs huge improvement

scooby_dooby said:
It's a mediocre to subpar game
There is a world of difference between saying UL is a mediocre franchise and it is 'lame' and 'has a poor track record'. That poor track record sees an average of around-about 7/10, on the whole higher amongst those who appreciate the genre. Now if you want to qualify your statement as your own personal take on the games, saying 'I played UL on PSP and thought they were lame games so I don't hold high hopes for the PS3 iteration' that's fine by me. Broad statements like 'the franchise has a poor track record' sound like you're referencing a popular opinion which isn't validated to any degree from a quick reference to the mainstream media.

Unless by your understand an average score of 7/10 is a poor game and any game scoring 7/10 can be considered lame, which you should explain for those of us who are foolish enough to think 5/10 is mediocre (the midpoint), 3/10 is lame and poor, and 7/10 is a respectable score.

Shifty Geezer said:
There is a world of difference between saying UL is a mediocre franchise and it is 'lame' and 'has a poor track record'.

Sorry but I only have 2 settings...it's either 'cool' or it's 'lame' :D

Also your argument that fans of the genre will think it's a better game holds no water at all. This rationale applies equally to ALL games of ALL genres, and at the end of the day a 7/10 is poor by today's standard.

I heard the previous game sold well, and they could very well improve on the genre, and get higher scores. I would not dismiss them on past scores alone. Let's wait for the reviews.

Edge said:
I heard the previous game sold well, and they could very well improve on the genre, and get higher scores. I would not dismiss them on past scores alone. Let's wait for the reviews.

Definately can't write it off completely at this point, I agree with you there.

Ben-Nice said:
What is next gen gameplay? I hear that word thrown around all the time but I don't see it in any games on any platform.
Exactly.Thats because we havent seen any major changes yet thats why you hear it so often :LOL:

scooby_dooby said:
Sorry but I only have 2 settings...it's either 'cool' or it's 'lame' :D

Also your argument that fans of the genre will think it's a better game holds no water at all. This rationale applies equally to ALL games of ALL genres, and at the end of the day a 7/10 is poor by today's standard.

Okay so there's no such thing as a middle ground? Whatever happened to a game being okay?

mckmas8808 said:
Okay so there's no such thing as a middle ground? Whatever happened to a game being okay?

OK == cool ;)

I see what you guys are saying though...the PSP game wasn't a 'bad' game, lets just leave it at mediocre.

Back