Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

new aa solution, temporal super resolution keeps up with all this new geometric details to create sharper more stable image than before with qualty approaching true native 4k at a cost of 1080p

At cost, meaning simply performance (i.e., that their render solution isn't as taxing on the hardware when compared to other temporal/reconstruction techniques)? Or, that their 'temporal super resolution' solution can provide (a close to) 4K imagery from a native 1080p internal render?

the TKI stuff is incredible, ahhh man. My buddy has 0 experience in UE which is why we went Unity, but man.... my heart. Each minute further into this demo makes me cry more.

All I need to see is full world destruction and I'm crying. I want to port asap

At cost, meaning simply performance (i.e., that their render solution isn't as taxing on the hardware when compared to other temporal/reconstruction techniques)? Or, that their 'temporal super resolution' solution can provide (a close to) 4K imagery from a native 1080p internal render?
yea, the claim is your latter point. Which is incredible.

Valley of the Ancient is a separate download of around 100 GB. If you want to run the full demo, the minimum system requirements are an NVIDIA GTX 1080 or AMD RX Vega 64 graphics card or higher, with 8 GB of VRAM and 32 GB of system RAM. For 30 FPS, we recommend a 12-core CPU at 3.4 GHz, with an NVIDIA RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 5700 XT graphics card or higher, and 64 GB of system RAM. We have successfully run the demo on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X consoles at full performance.
savage requirements for pc players

Last edited:
This look better than the video last year.
for sure from a creator perspective, it's nice to see the black box be opened up here.
UE is still a less friendly UI than Unity, but all this free stuff is hard to ignore. They didn't even touch on their UEV character creator suite of tools.

It's goign to be really_really hard for most custom engines to surpass UE. There's just so much here out of the box and the amount of tooling and workflow seems really incredible here. I don't see why anyone would want to start a new project from scratch anymore. Except because they wanted to or the price is just too much to pay. The engine source code is still available for modification and this engine is probably still mainly ideal for FPS and TPS games, some game types may require extension modification. But for the 3D indie scene... the prices on the market add up quickly for assets. All this free stuff that can now be rigged onto characters is a game changer imo.

You can mix and match and make things, lots of permutations to explore without necessarily running into homogeneity of all projects looking the same because of asset selection.

They change Lumen technology

Lumen is scalable, and supports a wide range of DX11 and DX12-capable hardware using Software and Hardware Ray Tracing modes. Valley of the Ancient uses Software Ray Tracing, which combines Screen Traces (or screen space tracing) with a Surface Cache representation to generate indirect lighting in the scene. Lumen uses Screen Traces to cover the mismatch that can happen with the lower quality Surface Cache, which is generated from the individual mesh's Signed Distance Field. You can visualize the Surface Cache using Show > Visualize > Lumen Scene. The Surface Cache only operates for the first 200 meters before falling back to screen traces for the distance scene.

Lumen is versatile and has quality options that enable it to work with both Nanite's virtualized geometry and traditional Static Mesh geometry, and screen traces enable skinned meshes to receive and contribute to indirect lighting, but they are limited by what's visible on screen. You can visualize Lumen's combined techniques by clicking Show > Visualize > Lumen Global Illumination inside an editor viewport.

Anyone rocking decent PCs; I'd be interested to hear about their setups and performance metrics.

16GB
Vega 56

Guess with those specs it does not matter i lack 100 GB of free HD space, and demo download would take days... Hope i can play around with the editor at least.
Source Code link gives 404 :|

16GB
Vega 56

Guess with those specs it does not matter i lack 100 GB of free HD space, and demo download would take days... Hope i can play around with the editor at least.
Source Code link gives 404 :|

For source you need to have your github account linked into epic account. I don't think they give source to everyone just yet.

My question would be about the minimum spec. Is it only frame rate and resolution that get sacrificed or is there more to it than that?

Truth be told, I found this demo unimpressive. Not the tech, but the demo.

Something about the GI lighting doesn't look quite as impressive as last years demo imo.

naniteue5lumencampfirpzkg6.jpg

naniteue5atmosphere_ljrkmp.png

naniteue5ulumenlandscnij0e.jpg

Not only does it run fine on all platforms, but they imitated the ratchet world switch effect. Condolences to the console warriors throughout this thread. Preview looks amazing, grabbing this to start working in this week.
Are you crazy? It needs atleast 32 GB of RAM, 12 core and a High End GPU on PC for freaking 30 FPS.

And that's because they don't make use of next gen technologies like Sampler Feedback, Mesh Shading and SSD Streaming on PC.

Old hardware holds back new gen hardware again.

Back