Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Seeing how smooth are the flyby transitions in Spiderman 2, if after all the UE5 updates in the last two years, they could get those traversals without any stutter

You can't really compare the two though, UE5 is pushing way more detail and in terms of features is truly next generation in comparison to Spiderman 2.

I read that Lords of the Fallen is UE 5.1. If the game is popular enough it would be interesting to see if they upgrade to a newer version.

does not matter, the question is, did they improve enough to remove the stutter, at the time of release, running it at 60fps was out of the question, then a year later they reached the goal with Fortnite, which does not stutter, so i'd love to see an updated demo.

does not matter, the question is, did they improve enough to remove the stutter, at the time of release, running it at 60fps was out of the question, then a year later they reached the goal with Fortnite, which does not stutter, so i'd love to see an updated demo.

You can download recompiled versions of the demo that use the newer UE5 builds.

I haven't found another way of enabling it personally. Putting the command into .ini files didn't work. Here's the steps I use:

1. Disable Anti-Cheat with the instructions from this guide (which will make the game run in offline mode only)
2. Get Universal Unreal Engine 5 Unlocker (One-time Patreon membership required afaik, unless the author also released a free version somewhere)
3. Boot the game via the .exe in the folder as described in the guide
4. Open the console via the Tilde key or whatever key you set
5. Enter "r.Shadow.Virtual.Enable 1"
Thanks! Shame the changed commands don't stick and must be entered every time.

Someone actually added the Spiderman model in to the UE5 Matrix demo and it looks a generation a head of Spiderman 2 on PS5 in my opinion.

View attachment 9809

View attachment 9810

Sure but this is a 30 fps at 1080p title on PS5, while Spiderman 2 runs at 60 at around the same resolution. Then again Spiderman 2 uses baked time of day while this spends a lot of render time on dynamic. So, probably a nearly even wash out. That UE5 is pretty close to Spiderman 2 in effective visuals, with even less pop in at least for geometry, should show how that UE5 is a perfectly good engine, allowing devs to keep up with the best first party can offer without having to spend as much time and effort to do so, though perhaps with the tradeoff of needing to fight the engine a bit more to get what you want out of it versus one built for the title being made.

I do wonder if a "baked" raytracing option for UE5 would be popular. Pre compute and compress the probe grid and RT proxy cards using BC6, now you don't need to update them in realtime and have compressed reads, save a lot of milliseconds, but you still get the smooth per pixel results of RT. Even if dynamic objects no longer interact with the environment as well it might be a popular choice for 60fps action heavy games.

Edit- Since everyone here likes eye candy, here's what a single talented artist (and some store assets) can do in realtime with a 3060ti (so not particularly out of reach):

It's interesting to see

leo-torres-lumen-2-1.jpg

Lumen

vs

leo-torres-path-tracer-ground-truth-2.jpg

Pathtraced

You can see how much more light is bounced around thanks to more bounces and more samples. Even though the sky is visibly blue in the pathtraced version, meaning exposure seems lower vs the totally blown out sky in the Lumen version, the shadows are all visibly brighter and less contrast heavy. And I don't even know the pathtracing settings here, but for "real" reference quality versus real life you need at least 10 bounces and this might be less.

Last edited:
Seems better on pc with the new ue5 updates, remember it noticably stuttering on high end pc hardware when people were doing the flying mod stuff back when the map released to the public.

Another interesting thing about Lords of the Fallen is the fact that when you toggle off Nanite via console, you actually get a serviceable lower LOD version of the game. As far as I know this isn't toggleable via in-game settings.

I wonder if this is authored by the devs? In other games I tried, it would just load the high-poly assets without utilizing Nanite which would obviously lead to performance issues.

Another interesting thing about Lords of the Fallen is the fact that when you toggle off Nanite via console, you actually get a serviceable lower LOD version of the game. As far as I know this isn't toggleable via in-game settings.

I wonder if this is authored by the devs? In other games I tried, it would just load the high-poly assets without utilizing Nanite which would obviously lead to performance issues.
Remnant 2 allows you to turn off nanite interestingly enough in the menu with its "detail geometry" option. It does the same thing as you see here in LOTF and if you check the console with UUU, you can see r.Nanite is then set to 0.

What does toggling off Nanite mean exactly? Nanite means a lot of things - assets, clustering LOD system, software raster etc.

Where do the lower quality meshes come from? Are they autogenerated from the Nanite geometry, writing out a low LOD mesh at build time or something? Or are they created by the devs? The latter seems a lot of work so I hope it's the former.

Where do the lower quality meshes come from? Are they autogenerated from the Nanite geometry, writing out a low LOD mesh at build time or something? Or are they created by the devs? The latter seems a lot of work so I hope it's the former.
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. If it's auto-generated, then it's pretty impressive. If the devs actually authored it, then I wonder why, since in the case of LOTF you can't actually see any of it in the game.

Back