Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

To my eyes this looks much closer to CGI while the titles you mentioned still look quite a bit more gamey by comparison.
Maybe the heavy post processing and motion blur? Not sure, to me the low poly geometry and lack of high resolution shadows/AO/contact effects, and lack of consistent reflecitons and specular occlusion makes it look pretty fake. But it's a pretty old demo at this point and the art is very good given the limitations, so definitely impressive for the time.

Maybe the heavy post processing and motion blur? Not sure, to me the low poly geometry and lack of high resolution shadows/AO/contact effects, and lack of consistent reflecitons and specular occlusion makes it look pretty fake. But it's a pretty old demo at this point and the art is very good given the limitations, so definitely impressive for the time.
The poster said he had to remove all or most of the cinematic post processing to get free roam working so I’m not sure if that is the reason. Certain objects are low poly but overall the scenes give the impression of being very high poly. Everything looks insanely high res and believable outside of some of the artifacts you mentioned such as reflections.

I still dream of a modern UT2K4 game that looks like this.

To my eyes this looks much closer to CGI while the titles you mentioned still look quite a bit more gamey by comparison.
This is more the lighting direction than anything else. Those aren't really practical scenes to play a game in -- you could construct dark reflective scenes that look just as good in just about any modern game's tools, but you're going to end up with clearer lighting for any non art-scene usage (not to mention all the disocclusion artifacts you're going to get if dynamic characters and objects start running around).

Like I said, it's just because you can fake lighting in a cinematic. It's the same reason movies look good, all the lighting is faked specifically for each frame, if you could control the camera, in a cinematic or in a movie, the lighting falls apart, so even if you could spend that amount of time lighting every level in a game you'd still end up with a bizarre buggy mess. Here's a great channel showing just how much setup movies go to for lighting that looks "natural", and game cinematics are no different:

I'm just wondering how much content/art direction/art style should be factored in here. There's no UE5 game that's using a similar art style/setting as the Matrix. What's the nearest upcoming game going for that aesthetic? The existing games would be more comparable to the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo would they not?

Art content authoring it seems like on the scale of an entire game might be a hold up as well. Fantasy and more stylistic settings seem like they would have additional challenges on that front due to the lesser possibility of reliance on "stock" assets to work of off.

If we look back at UE4 with Infiltrator and UE3 with Samaritan I wonder how close aesthetically the most visually impressive games for each compare. The similarities with Samaritan and the Arkham Series is pretty clear for example.

Last edited:
I'm just wondering how much content/art direction/art style should be factored in here. There's no UE5 game that's using a similar art style/setting as the Matrix. What's the nearest upcoming game going for that aesthetic? The existing games would be more comparable to the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo would they not?

Art content authoring it seems like on the scale of an entire game might be a hold up as well. Fantasy and more stylistic settings seem like they would have additional challenges on that front due to the lesser possibility of reliance on "stock" assets to work of off.

If we look back at UE4 with Infiltrator and UE3 with Samaritan I wonder how close aesthetically the most visually impressive games for each compare. The similarities with Samaritan and the Arkham Series is pretty clear for example.
Immortals and Lumen in the land of Nanite are quite similar. I would suggest Arkham Knight and the Gears titles as good comparisons to infiltrator.

Worth noting I don't think we've really seen a big game that was designed for UE5 from the start yet either, right? I think the stuff so far has been ported midway from UE4 (Immortals, Lords of the Fallen, etc). And while I think there's bright spots in the things that have been released so far, it's also relatively small teams. I too am looking forward to see what AAA folks can do designing for UE5 from the start, but hard to know how long we'll have to wait for that. Big games take a lot of time to make of course.

Worth noting I don't think we've really seen a big game that was designed for UE5 from the start yet either, right? I think the stuff so far has been ported midway from UE4 (Immortals, Lords of the Fallen, etc). And while I think there's bright spots in the things that have been released so far, it's also relatively small teams. I too am looking forward to see what AAA folks can do designing for UE5 from the start, but hard to know how long we'll have to wait for that. Big games take a lot of time to make of course.

Immortals of Aveum is UE 5.1 and I think Remnant 2 is UE 5.2. Immortals of Aveum is upgrading to UE 5.2. I think people forget there are big changes between minor releases.

Native EU5 game should arrive at the same time as the PS5 pro.

Immortals of Aveum is UE 5.1 and I think Remnant 2 is UE 5.2. Immortals of Aveum is upgrading to UE 5.2. I think people forget there are big changes between minor releases.
I believe the point he's making is that these games were mostly developed on UE4 and weren't designed from the ground up with UE5 in mind.

The similarities with Samaritan and the Arkham Series is pretty clear for example.
Yeah, I think the Unreal Engine 3 Samartian demo is visually similar to Arkham City.

For Unreal Engine 4 Elemental demo, I think Paragon is the easiest match for it. It was made by Epic, so they achieved their vision rather quickly.

The Infiltratior demo is maybe matched by Gears of War 4 on PC, Gears 5 is naturally applicable as well. Final Fantasy VII Remake is also a good candidate.

Last edited:
I believe the point he's making is that these games were mostly developed on UE4 and weren't designed from the ground up with UE5 in mind.

I wasn't posting their UE5 versions to dispute that they started as UE4 titles and that would likely impact their ability to make full use of the new engine. I was just adding the detail that Immortals of Aveum especially is an older version of UE5. The jumps between releases right now are making pretty big changes to all of the new major technologies. In that sense people are looking at these titles as if they're reference points for how UE5 will perform in general, but there are already UE5 improvements that these games are not taking advantage of. A UE5.1 title isn't really representative of future UE5.4 titles.

The first game that comes to mind with a close artist design as the Matrix Demo is The Division. If it gets a next-geb only sequel, we could compare those two. Crysis 2 also, to some extent... I think Crysis 4 will take place in a desertic enviro, though...

The first game that comes to mind with a close artist design as the Matrix Demo is The Division. If it gets a next-geb only sequel, we could compare those two. Crysis 2 also, to some extent... I think Crysis 4 will take place in a desertic enviro, though...

Crysis 4 takes place in at least one city, though there seems to be multiple environments judging by artstation (there's "unreleased project" concept art of some sort of hightech lab on there from a bit ago). Crytek put up a video ad for a job opening, of all weird things, and showed off what looks very much like Crysis 4 in a city environment for about 5 seconds. Can't find the video so I guess they took it down, but that backs up the idea that it's 4.

Gotta give Epic credit here. They're pushing hard with Unreal Engine 5 and have made a ton of improvements since the announcement. I feel it's moving along quite quickly in recent months.

Remember Unreal Engine 4 did not have the most gracious start either... the first couple games were by smaller studios iirc... and now look at it..

We need to see what the larger studios out there do with it. I know a lot of people are moaning about CDPR switching from REDengine to Unreal... and rightfully so. We should all want more diversity of engines out there.. but let's be honest.. CDPR will be able to make something AMAZING with UE5.x... lol. The Witcher 4 with UE5.whatever version will be a stunner. The Coalition and Ninja Theory will do stunning work with UE5.. I'm not even worried in the slightest about it.

They're tackling all the real problem areas that we see with UE releases. CPU underutilization, PSO compilation, big improvements coming to nanite and lumen performance, new features.. improved workflow.. Some of the stuff in the recent presentations are a very big deal indeed. They're adamant about getting 60fps on consoles it seems, and that benefits everything else as well.

I think they may have announced UE5 too early for their liking, as it seems a ton of these systems were just a bit further out and needed a little more time to get proper.. but they were forced to announce and coincide with the hype cycle of the new consoles. So it kinda feels like UE5 has been out for a while now and nothing has been happening.. but the big studios making these big games are chipping away at it and helping evolve the engine as they go. Once the games start hitting and taking advantage of all these new improvements, people's opinions will come around. Understandably proof is in the pudding.. but it's coming shortly.

Very happy to see this on the roadmap:

Hardware Ray Tracing (HWRT) mode in Lumen has a number of quality and feature improvements over Software Ray Tracing (SWRT), but is not currently practical for 60fps gameplay on next-gen consoles. Performance improvements for HWRT are underway with a goal of achieving 4ms per frame in typical scenes, which would match the budget for Lumen SWRT running at 60fps.

Back