Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Has it? I wasn't aware and visually it certainly doesn't look to be.

Q: What game engine does IMMORTALS OF AVEUM run on?
A:Immortals of Aveum will be the first AAA game released in Unreal Engine 5.1 and we’re making full use of its newest capabilities like Lumen, Nanite, World Partition and Metahumans.

I’m pretty sure that’s wrong. Nanite is faster than standard rendering for the same massive level of detail. It’s certainly more taxing on memory and processing than current geometry workloads.
I should have said 'without significant' rather than notable. The bang for buck increase is massive.

Immortals of Aveum specs..... the minimum GPU's are console level!
A lot of devs were doing this same thing last gen, where they basically just used XB1 or PS4-sort of specs as 'minimum requirement'.

Except they were never anything close to actual minimum requirements, and I honestly dont think it does them any favors when it just scares off people who might be absolutely fine playing slightly below console quality or performance.

That said, in this case, the use of Lumen will certainly put a decently high floor on requirements, even if I still think it'll be below what they're stating here.

There's moments where this is completely believable as a human. Nice to see both eyes staring in the same direction for a change and mouth animation also looks pretty natural. Are we close now to crossing the valley? Cant wait to see a Starfield or Cyberpunk with this level of reality.

Amazing rendering but I assume this is a facial motion capture rather than a fully computer generated face. And as noted, likely not real time.

Don't nod's Jusant was announced a couple of days back and it has a demo that's out on Steam. While it doesn't specify an Unreal version it most certainly seems to be 5+ as it seems to be using Nanite, Lumen and virtual shadow maps:

Interesting to see those employed in the context of a more stylized art style. While I was able to spot some minor light leaking while playing the demo, overall the lighting looked very good. Surprisingly so even, as smooth surfaces with little texture detail tend to be a worst case scenario for GI systems.

Don't nod's Jusant was announced a couple of days back and it has a demo that's out on Steam. While it doesn't specify an Unreal version it most certainly seems to be 5+ as it seems to be using Nanite, Lumen and virtual shadow maps:

Interesting to see those employed in the context of a more stylized art style. While I was able to spot some minor light leaking while playing the demo, overall the lighting looked very good. Surprisingly so even, as smooth surfaces with little texture detail tend to be a worst case scenario for GI systems.

Have they confirmed that this is actually UE? I didn't notice a splash screen when I played the demo.

(Really like the look they've gone for. The climbing gameplay stayed just on the right side of frustration for the 40 odd minutes of the demo. I could see either loving or giving up on the final game!)

There's a full screen Unreal logo in the boot sequence of the demo (and a small one on the title card at the end of that trailer), so that's confirmed. Which version, or if they indeed used Nanite and Lumen isn't afaik, but I would be very interested in knowing how they achieved this look without using those.

Have they confirmed that this is actually UE? I didn't notice a splash screen when I played the demo.

(Really like the look they've gone for. The climbing gameplay stayed just on the right side of frustration for the 40 odd minutes of the demo. I could see either loving or giving up on the final game!)

Definitely UE5, the limitations of shadowmaps, even fancy virtualized ones, as well as the TAA here detracted a bit from the otherwise very cool and excellent CG cartoon aesthetic.

The climbing seems just plain fun, way more in depth than say, Botw/Totk. If it can last for an entire game I'm hoping this will be one of those games designers actually play and take inspiration from. Like with Death Stranding it's nice to see an interesting and in depth set of gameplay mechanics that's not "kill that thing".

Back