Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Super Mario RTX Concept UE5

Ok its another concept vid, but there's something very enchanting about cartoon / game characters set in a beautifully lit (semi) photorealistic world, very surreal and captivating (via DOS)

..and another UE5 concept vid - Conifer Forest (following on from Broadleaf Forest) (via DSOG)
Apparently both demos are all procedurally generated, so in theory this could go on for miles if not planet sized??
Mind blown, surely we live in a simulation, right?

..and another UE5 concept vid - Conifer Forest (following on from Broadleaf Forest) (via DSOG)
Apparently both demos are all procedurally generated, so in theory this could go on for miles if not planet sized??
Mind blown, surely we live in a simulation, right?

Watching it in 4k, looks great, until the camera starts moving. Then there's all kinds of blur and artifacting in the branches and foliage. It becomes incredibly distracting. It's almost like the spaces between branches becomes stained glass or something.

But definitely looks incredible as long as the camera doesn't move.

Regards,
SB

Unfortunately, that artstation page freezes my phone browser on load everytime.

The pictures show what looks like a set of canned offline simulation backed into a vertex-offset texture applied in real time. A very neat trick that costs very few resources in real time, but can be used for very intricate and complex animations that look way more computationalky intensive than it actually is, and the vid is a perfect example of that.

Yet, the quoted text talkas about real-time dynamic cloth physics through niagra for a characters cape.

I'm at a loss here.

I don't think so. Game developers simply don't care so much about immersive sound, which has always been a disappointment.

I have been dreaming of a true-to-the-original-spirit Thief game with path-traced graphics and sound...
But they all seemed up for it in the stream.
Guess people's usual blowing smoke, or just unable to get around to it.
Shame I was looking forward to watching it.

Yikes. It seems like they are using the Software path for the high scalabilty setting in Lumen, so that it runs at 60 FPS on consoles and lower end RTX GPUs. http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2022/SIGGRAPH2022-Advances-Lumen-Wright et al.pdf

This is really, really bad and my worst fear come true. Console users and lower end RTX GPUs will choose 60 FPS over 30 FPS almost any day, so that means the Ray accelerators and RT cores are idle in that mode, as it uses Software RT instead of HW-RT.

What the fuck, Epic? Why are you neglecting HW-RT so bad? It's not like 4A Games proved that extremly fast AND beautiful RTGI using HW-RT is easily feasible, even on consoles and at 60 FPS. Maybe, just MAYBE you should rethink your entire strategy of incorporating HW-RT into the engine.

Jesus christ. The Software Path is supposed to be for legacy hardware, not your main path for getting acceptable performance in UE5. This really sucks.

And as most games in the future will use Lumen and UE5, millions of RTX and console gamers will have their RT cores and Ray accelerators idling instead of contributing to performance like they should.

What the fuck, Epic? Why are you neglecting HW-RT so bad? It's not like 4A Games proved that extremly fast AND beautiful RTGI using HW-RT is easily feasible, even on consoles and at 60 FPS. Maybe, just MAYBE you should rethink your entire strategy of incorporating HW-RT into the engine.
Sure, to trace the skylight against a zillionth as many tris. Lumen's tradeoffs make perfect sense within the context of the consoles and the rest of the engine.

Sure, to trace the skylight against a zillionth as many tris. Lumen's tradeoffs make perfect sense within the context of the consoles and the rest of the engine.
It is not needed to trace against the full triangle count of geometry though? I think HW-RT is using low poly meshes instead. These low poly meshes should have lower polygon count than geometry in Metro.

Yikes. It seems like they are using the Software path for the high scalabilty setting in Lumen, so that it runs at 60 FPS on consoles and lower end RTX GPUs. http://advances.realtimerendering.com/s2022/SIGGRAPH2022-Advances-Lumen-Wright et al.pdf

This is really, really bad and my worst fear come true. Console users and lower end RTX GPUs will choose 60 FPS over 30 FPS almost any day, so that means the Ray accelerators and RT cores are idle in that mode, as it uses Software RT instead of HW-RT.

Jesus christ. The Software Path is supposed to be for legacy hardware, not your main path for getting acceptable performance in UE5. This really sucks.

And as most games in the future will use Lumen and UE5, millions of RTX and console gamers will have their RT cores and Ray accelerators idling instead of contributing to performance like they should.
Check the UE5 RT talk, they did give nice overview.

I thought the whole point of Lumen was to save performance by not tracing against polygons. Where RT really makes a difference is in RT reflections, which Metro doesn't have on console.

Back