Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Maybe next gen. No chance any AC looks like that this generation.

It depends on how cross gen the next proper AC is. The AC games don't lack for technical ambition. Even they don't adopt Nanite style clusters, they'll boast plenty of detailed geometry. The current games have fairly detail rich for open world titles and that's without being able to lean on the SSD.

They also have a huge art team shooting off the content cannon. There's an extent to which that's more important than the underlying tech.

It depends on how cross gen the next proper AC is. The AC games don't lack for technical ambition. Even they don't adopt Nanite style clusters, they'll boast plenty of detailed geometry. The current games have fairly detail rich for open world titles and that's without being able to lean on the SSD.

They also have a huge art team shooting off the content cannon. There's an extent to which that's more important than the underlying tech.
I don’t know the actual level of geometry current AC titles are pushing but the end result doesn’t fare very well against the competition IMO. Any technical ambition at Ubisoft seems to have died with AC Unity.

I do agree that art production is at least as important as tech but even with their massive employee count they somehow still end up behind the competition.

Maybe next gen. No chance any AC looks like that this generation.
Huh? What are you seeing there that's so impressive?

I'm extremely confident that a new AC built for PS5/XSX in mind will look better than that.

I don’t know the actual level of geometry current AC titles are pushing but the end result doesn’t fare very well against the competition IMO.
As PS4/XB1-based games, I'd say AC games have continued to be at the forefront of the best looking/most detailed large scale games around.

Huh? What are you seeing there that's so impressive?

I'm extremely confident that a new AC built for PS5/XSX in mind will look better than that.

As PS4/XB1-based games, I'd say AC games have continued to be at the forefront of the best looking/most detailed large scale games around.
Large scale sure. Outside of that I think they trend towards the bottom range of top budget games.

Large scale sure. Outside of that I think they trend towards the bottom range of top budget games.
So once you take them outside the realm of what they actually are, games that are more limited in scope but with similar budgets are more detailed? Not sure that's some revelation really. That's just basically stating that Ubisoft aren't gods.

I'm still curious what you think is so impressive about the UE5 demo above, too. Frankly, I dont even think it looks very good in many ways. I get it's probably only made by one person, so will have limitations, but graphically, there's nothing there that cant easily be smashed past this generation.

So once you take them outside the realm of what they actually are, games that are more limited in scope but with similar budgets are more detailed? Not sure that's some revelation really. That's just basically stating that Ubisoft aren't gods.

I'm still curious what you think is so impressive about the UE5 demo above, too. Frankly, I dont even think it looks very good in many ways. I get it's probably only made by one person, so will have limitations, but graphically, there's nothing there that cant easily be smashed past this generation.
I’m keeping the comparison to open world games. Im not comparing AC to something like TLOU 2. Compared to titles like Days Gone, RDR 2, HZD and HFW etc i just think AC compares rather poorly in all aspects.

I think its one of the lesser impressive UE5 fan recreations, I just dont have high expectations from Ubisoft considering their output throughout the past generation.

I’m keeping the comparison to open world games. Im not comparing AC to something like TLOU 2. Compared to titles like Days Gone, RDR 2, HZD and HFW etc i just think AC compares rather poorly in all aspects.

I think its one of the lesser impressive UE5 fan recreations, I just dont have high expectations from Ubisoft considering their output throughout the past generation.

In their default configurations I've not been too impressed with the AC games graphically, but for me at least that comes almost entirely down to the over vibrant colour grading and general softness of the graphics.

Once that's fixed with either a re-shade or NV freestyle then I think they are easily some of the best looking games of the last gen, open world or not. Certainly better than HZD which I recently played back to back with Odyssey.

In their default configurations I've not been too impressed with the AC games graphically, but for me at least that comes almost entirely down to the over vibrant colour grading and general softness of the graphics.

Once that's fixed with either a re-shade or NV freestyle then I think they are easily some of the best looking games of the last gen, open world or not. Certainly better than HZD which I recently played back to back with Odyssey.
I agree that the colors are over saturated but that’s one of the minor issues. The materials are too inconsistent, the LOD and popin is super noticeable and right in your face, character models are very iffy, animation is quite bad, many of the assets you see the most often are very low res and the terrain tessellation bubbles and distorts constantly right in front of the camera. Things typically only look good from a far distance.

I agree that the colors are over saturated but that’s one of the minor issues. The materials are too inconsistent, the LOD and popin is super noticeable and right in your face, character models are very iffy, animation is quite bad, many of the assets you see the most often are very low res and the terrain tessellation bubbles and distorts constantly right in front of the camera. Things typically only look good from a far distance.

I can honestly say I've never noticed any of those things being issues. Not saying they aren't present, just that they can't be a major factor, at least to my eyes.

For me, it's the overall look of the game in terms of detail and lighting that has the biggest impact, I'm not too bothered by the occasional pop in etc if the game looks great overall.

Post in thread 'Screenshots of Ridunkulous Quality and Size [2017+]' https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...lous-quality-and-size-2017.60320/post-2202259

I dont know, i played AC origins and odyseey on ps4 and i wasnt distracetd as mcuh by lod issues. I dont think it was worse than in other comparable titles.
However on Valhalla on XSX lod transitions were quite bad and very noticable for me.
Anyway i think Origins and HZD was the most impressive games i played on ps4.

Wukong looks realy good and seems they should be ready to lunch next year ? Unfortunetly dont like games based on boss fights, bores me.

These look cool enough to post here.

Senior Environment Artist Jorge Lescale has unveiled the results of the recent experiment with Houdini's Vertex Animation Textures in Unreal Engine 5. Using multiple VATs and UE5's Blueprints, the creator has managed to set up cool-looking bouncy objects that respond to a projectile flying into them based on the collision point. According to the author, the goal of the project was to test out the workflows and ways to implement Houdini's VATs for future projects.

EDIT: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DAGOJ0

My personal goal for this project was to use Unreal Engine 5 as much as possible, including simulations. The results were truly mind blowing!

I tried to not compromise for anything, from polycount to texture size or material number. The goal was to use the same approach for offline rendered cinematics and port that into Unreal. Needless to say, the ability to everything in real time and do tweaks on the flight was priceless!

The complicated aspect of the project came with the idea to simulate the cape of the character using Chaos Physics directly inside the engine. It took roughy 3 months to come up with a custom system that would allow the character to have total freedom of motion without creating artifacts. Especially considering that the cloth was doublesided with thickness and needed to have 2 different types of materials.

I think the animation, done by my friend Aron Durkin, really shows how big the potential is for accurate Cloth Simulations.

I think it's super exciting to imagine what we'll be able to do in the future using Unreal Engine. So far it has been the coolest ride!

Last edited:
Back