Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

First thing I thought of watching the car chase scene. But wow is this so much better lol

There and Back again by Bilbo Baggins.

This thread has my head scratching big time. I can't believe the sheer amount of disappointment for these graphics? I guess compared to the initial reveal of UE5, this is lightyears ahead in difficulty. I'm just so confused. We have XSS hardware, running it as well, and it looks fairly decent, and no games should ever approach this level of fidelity.

I think people need to separate games from FMV, there is a particular design language required by games (so that players know what to do) that will never look 1:1 like a CGI movie, and that differential always needs to be kept in mind, if games looked like CGI movies, it better be VR, or you're going to have a hard time playing whatever game it is you want to actually play.

ie. if all important objects looked like a carpenters cup, you'd straight up ignore it.

Tim Sweeney Criticizes Microsoft/Oculus and Talks Project Scorpio - GameSpot

Do you think that we'll ever approach photo-realistic graphics? If so, when, and how many Teraflops do you think we'll need?

You know, we're getting to the point now where we can render photo-realistic static scenes without humans with static lighting. Today's hardware can do that, so part of that problem is solved. Getting to the point of photo-realistic dynamic environments, especially with very advanced shading models like wet scenes, or reflective scenes, or anisotropic paint, though...maybe forty Teraflops is the level where we can achieve all of that.
Getting there!

I think people need to separate games from FMV, there is a particular design language required by games (so that players know what to do) that will never look 1:1 like a CGI movie, and that differential always needs to be kept in mind, if games looked like CGI movies, it better be VR, or you're going to have a hard time playing whatever game it is you want to actually play.
It's not about looking like a movie, but looking not-fake. The facial animation in the car conversation isn't convincing to me, even if a generational advance on what we have to date. The particle effects are no improvement on what we have now. In short, it's more of the same, cranked up a level. I think it's a case of diminishing returns in terms of visceral impact.

Perhaps the framing of the tech does it a disservice? By choosing to represent the Matrix, they are likening themselves to graphics that are indistinguishable from reality as per the Matrix. If instead they'd compared themselves to a last gen title, maybe, it'd have been comparing better with inferior to show how much better it is, rather than choosing to compare better with Perfect with nothing to compare other than where it's failed? Watching a PS3 game compared to a PS2, it doesn't look real but we don't expect it to, so everything that's better is jaw dropping. Watching a PS5 game, it's stuck between a solid PS4 generation and reality. It's a tough sell!

well they still have to deal with limited power of the consoles, still the overall jump in quality for the cinematic experience is huge, if we compare it to uncharted 4 setpieces for example.
the density of things happening during the action was awesome, but of courses when parts of the graphics get that good, flawed parts can appear more obvious.
But it's just the beginning of this engine, imagine where it'll be next year without latest PC graphics cards.

This thread has my head scratching big time. I can't believe the sheer amount of disappointment for these graphics? I guess compared to the initial reveal of UE5, this is lightyears ahead in difficulty. I'm just so confused. We have XSS hardware, running it as well, and it looks fairly decent, and no games should ever approach this level of fidelity.

ie. if all important objects looked like a carpenters cup, you'd straight up ignore it.
I understand your point. GI is great but for me this demo looks like an improved Detroid that was running on a mere 1.8 tflops PS4 + crappy CPU. Like Shifty just wrote I think it's because of diminushing returns and I'd add of what we can be show off in motion at 30fps. So yes (unstable) 30fps is the biggest problem for me and also while Spiderman has no GI the quality of RT reflections (much better than here) in the city (and in a real game) at (stable) 60fps is still unmatched.

His 40 TFLOPS prediction ended up being way off. We are probably going to be addressing this in how many tens/hundreds of petaflops to get video games looking something like Avengers Endgame.

It's not about looking like a movie, but looking not-fake. The facial animation in the car conversation isn't convincing to me, even if a generational advance on what we have to date. The particle effects are no improvement on what we have now. In short, it's more of the same, cranked up a level. I think it's a case of diminishing returns in terms of visceral impact.

Perhaps the framing of the tech does it a disservice? By choosing to represent the Matrix, they are likening themselves to graphics that are indistinguishable from reality as per the Matrix. If instead they'd compared themselves to a last gen title, maybe, it'd have been comparing better with inferior to show how much better it is, rather than choosing to compare better with Perfect with nothing to compare other than where it's failed? Watching a PS3 game compared to a PS2, it doesn't look real but we don't expect it to, so everything that's better is jaw dropping. Watching a PS5 game, it's stuck between a solid PS4 generation and reality. It's a tough sell!

Just watch a video of WD:Legion or Miles Morales prior to watching this.

This is a tougher discussion to have, mainly because our perception of the world only comes in 2 formats; what our eyes perceive, and what our eyes perceive through a flat 2D screen of what a camera perceives.
Most peoples grounded realities will only come in those 2 flavours, and the reality is, the latter, can be extremely fake in comparison to what we actually experience in real life, as lighting and shadows and camera angles are often manipulated to make something look artistic, and games as you play them and you control the camera have to model themselves for the former, while cinematics aim for the latter.

I'll be honest, all the Unreal 5 engine games here were the only ones that felt several levels ahead of everything else, but I don't necessarily agree with the direction as there's no clear separation between what is within the boundaries of the game and what is not in the boundaries of the game. But I don't think I would say this is a case of diminishing returns. That's like saying the Mandalorian is a case of diminishing returns and that's rendered on UE4.
I'm entirely blown away by this; lip sync, AI, the number of vehicles, the draw distance, the environment, lighting, destruction even, these to me all look unparalleled. I don't honestly think it looks fun lol, looks about as much fun as Rebel Assault, but graphically I can't help but say that these UE5 based games are currently the most advanced graphics we have running realtime on hardware.

How The Coalition Worked with Epic to Bring The Matrix Awakens to Life on Xbox Series X|S

When Epic reached out in 2021, The Coalition had been working with Unreal Engine 5 “Early Access” for almost a year. The team had been collaborating and providing feedback to Epic about their experiences with UE5, which especially helped to push it forward for Xbox Series X|S and Windows PCs. With their track record of creating games that are technical showcases for Unreal and Xbox, along with their collaboration and early experience with UE5, The Coalition was positioned well to jump in and help optimize and polish The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience with Epic.

So what exactly did the team at The Coalition do? A primary focus for them was on memory and performance optimizations to fully take advantage of both Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Because the experience features an incredibly large and dense world with a staggering amount of content, the first step was working on memory optimization. In that area, they worked with Epic to ensure the assets in the demo were set up to fully leverage virtual texture streaming and nanite wherever possible and tuned internal memory systems, especially on Xbox Series S, to ensure it all fit in the memory.

On the performance optimizations side, the teams made some threading improvements to improve utilization of the CPU cores. They also made some Xbox Raytracing optimizations, resulting in performance wins of about 0.5ms. Finally, they enabled Vertical Sync tuning to ensure a stable FPS throughout the experience.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/12...the-matrix-awakens-to-life-on-xbox-series-xs/

So yes (unstable) 30fps is the biggest problem for me and also while Spiderman has no GI the quality of RT reflections (much better than here) in the city (and in a real game) at (stable) 60fps is still unmatched.
Spider Man doesn't have that enormous dynamic RT GI nor the density of AI, nor the draw distance, and finally not even the massive polygonal complexity of the world, so comparison is invalid.

Let's keep subjective discussion of what games look better/best out of this tech discussion. Any particular point of consideration should be handled pointwise with references. eg. Reflection in MM are better than in demo as per screenshot comparisons A and B...

and tuned internal memory systems, especially on Xbox Series S, to ensure it all fit in the memory.
One of the things I was really impressed by.
It seems to use same texture quality on XSS as XSX and PS5.

I'm also surprised that PS5 doesn't load lot faster than XS.

Hopefully DF analysis will have Epic feedback, that would really be nice.

UE Film maker reacts to Matrix.
I totally agree with the lipsync commentary, I have no idea if it's happening in real time or they just preanimated everything. But whatever it is perfect. I don't even know what else to say. I had a hard time trying to figure out if the car chase was pre-rendered.
I guess watching a video, it's incredible, I'll try this on my console now to see the difference.

edit: the car chase scene is FFIIFIFIFIFI incredible!!!
The most incredible thing I've had the chance to run on a Xbox. I'm doing side by side comparisons with SM:MM and I find the scope and scale, and lighting, and textures to be several levels above. The cars/people vanish quite quickly in SM:MM, it doesn't seem like a very busy city at all, if you go high up. Here, I take a helicopter view and it looks like a fully functioning metropolis. My biggest issue with SM:MM is how choked off and blocked off everything is. The whole city nearly feels occluded, whereas this city, I can clearly see everything happening at once. From highway, the people, the cars, everything is visible. This is transformational.

I'll with for DF to give their words, but I can't seem to see what everyone is saying about this game looking bad.

Last edited:
Back