Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

1080x support added.

“I wasn’t fully aware of how important it was for us to support 1080i. Up until earlier today we were only supporting 720p (and SD of course) but reading through these comments, it was brought to my attention the number of people who had HDTV’s but would not be able to experience Uncharted in high-def. So we immediately went to work and I’m pleased to announce here, for the first time, that we have now implemented 1080 support!”

“And yes, our game runs at 30FPS.”

Although I question the supposed timeline in which they implemented it. Regardless, good news.

I think you'll find they mean upscaling, to support those 1080i only HDTVs.

Of course (I didn't mean to imply native rendering). And my speculation still stands. They got 960x1080 native rendering (for the horizontal scaler) that quickly? Or maybe he was just being facetious. Or maybe they had enough headroom to do it. Would fillrate be the most effected performance aspect by the increase in resolution (from 1280x720 to 960x1080)? Is fillrate proportional to the games frame rate? If so, perhaps they had it running happily at ~45 fps, and the bump to 960x1080 still kept them at 30+.

The game was rumored to run up to 45fps @ 720p (with full effects), so they may be able to fit the additional upscaling time.

That's what I'm thinking (and tried to describe in my edits above). I'm just surprised they could do it so quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course (I didn't mean to imply native rendering). And my speculation still stands. They got 960x1080 native rendering that quickly? Or maybe he was just being facetious.

The game was rumored to run up to 45fps @ 720p (with full effects), so they may be able to fit the additional upscaling time.

if they can natively render 30fps 1080i, then they can do 1080p too. shouldnt be additional work.

But as other have already said, this is just ingame-scaling incase the TV/Monitor cant do it.

:devilish:

It was all about the fluidity of the animation. Plus the blood. And showing off the water in the submarine.
:LOL:

The animation is nothing special to say the least. It still looks pretty jerky..hard to pin a finger on it but it doesn't look right.

Rangers - do you like any game? You seem to find every console game looks a dog, going by recent comments, as though you're comparing them to CGI movies rather than real-time rendering technologies. To say the animation is nothing special is failing to appreciate what's going on. The facial animation work is excellent, and the blending between different poses gives a very natural look to Drake's actions. The movement can be pretty 'blocky' and can be jarring, which is a problem that's going to be around for a while I think, but character locomotion is only a part of the animation in a game, and the rest has some serious pluses. I can agree that motion is still very much like a game, but the animation overall is a marked step up from the average.

The animation is by far the best I have seen in a game.... ever. Sometimes it looks a little dodgy, but it's still far better than anything else I have ever seen so I don't really see it as an issue.

The transitions between animations look good but didn't they say there's thousands of animations just for drake? it's not like you can see them all in videos.

The animation is nothing special to say the least. It still looks pretty jerky..hard to pin a finger on it but it doesn't look right.

It's the uncanny valley of animation. It's so close to reality, that any slight difference for responsiveness (the character has to be responsive, not just look realistic...otherwise it would be very frustrating) that it doesn't look completely right. But there is no doubt that Uncharted has the best animation in a game, and the best transitions between animations (because they blend over them).

I just wish they would turn off some of the self shadowing in certain close-ups... it's distracting!

Just like it's distracting in real life when people shadow themselves :/

ANyway do you mean like this?
03.jpg

instead of this?
03.jpg

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/825/825467p1.html

"For instance, if you shoot someone in the hip, he could hold his side while running for cover, or limp away if shot in the leg. The enemies react a little more realistically now as well, taking cover and getting out of fire if you blanket the area with bullets."

"Enemies also take fewer hits now to kill than they have in the past. This is a great change for multiple reasons. Firstly, it keeps the action quicker and more hectic. Rather than sitting in one place and having to unload a clip to kill someone, you can move from guy to guy to guy rather quickly and take them all out, keeping the pacing up."

"The scenery in all of these areas looks fantastic, and is both starkly different than the outdoor sections that we'd seen before while also perfectly matching the look and feel of the island. Naughty Dog's art team is at the top of their game here, as is the technical department for getting so many whiz-bang rendering features running so smoothly."

"Getting our hands on the game, we noticed that the camera has come a long way since the first time we played Uncharted and the whole movement and aiming system feels great now. Taking cover and rolling to dodge gunfire also works very smoothly, and Drake overall feels like he has more weight to him than earlier builds that we played. Naughty Dog's experience shows here with how well the controls have been refined and tuned."

"One last cool bit of info that we learned is that throughout the course of the game you'll be able to earn Medals, which in turn unlock bonus features. Some medals can be earned by performing certain gameplay objectives, like getting five headshots in a row, killing three enemies with a single grenade or things like this. More so though, you'll earn Medals by finding treasures scattered around the game, so exploration will indeed pay off.

There are a whole slew of different types of unlockables that you'll be able to snag, including behind-the-scenes footage, artwork, additional costumes and even other playable characters (though Nathan will still appear in the cutscenes). You'll also be able to unlock different rendering modes, like a black and white mode, a sepia-toned mode, a next-gen filter (with appropriate super bloom and saturated colors) and even a mode that doesn't utilize textures, allowing you to see how the geometry was put together more easily."

Yes YES YES YeS!:D

deepbrown said:
It's the uncanny valley of animation. It's so close to reality, that any slight difference for responsiveness (the character has to be responsive, not just look realistic...otherwise it would be very frustrating) that it doesn't look completely right.

erm...no. It's quite the opposite.
The quantity of animations in Uncharted is impressive but their realism is nowhere close to the point of reaching the UV effect.
I 'd say that you can find 2 years old games with more realistic in game animations (ie Condemned and some of their fight animations)

Back