Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

I've only noticed the texture pop-in in a couple of places, the same placed noticed by ninzel above. However there is some very weird animation glitching.

Fire up the first level (chapter 2 IIRC) where Nate and Sully are in the jungle and swivel the camera around to look at them both then don't touch the controls. Periodically Sully will frame-leap between animations. I've never noticed it in game but something isn't right.

This minor nit-picking and the 'skating' issue aside, Uncharted is an AWESOME game. I'm really hoping ND's next outing will be a sequel and not a J&D game.

DSoup

I played through Uncharted 3 times, sometimes get texture pop-up at the start of a chapter and sometimes in the same place I dont get pop-up.

Please use spoiler tags to show where in the story you got pop-up.

I saw once an entire rock texture missing for 5 seconds at least. And some popups here and there.

Either way, I ordered a 7200rpm 2.5" 120gb drive... I will try the game with this hdd and see if there is any difference

I'm starting to get pissed at some of the platforming later in the game. Even the gunplay is starting to get on my nerves.
Mutant nazis? Comeon.
Still a great game and I won't hesitate to play though it again on higher difficulty levels, and perhaps attempt to get all the treasures, but it's definitely not gaming perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw once an entire rock texture missing for 5 seconds at least. And some popups here and there.

Either way, I ordered a 7200rpm 2.5" 120gb drive... I will try the game with this hdd and see if there is any difference

Does Uncharted cache to HDD at all ? (I don't have the answer).

ShaidarHaran, you need to spoiler tag your post. What specific issues do you have with the platforming ? All the posts I have seen said it is too forgiving. I am just about the only guy who said platforming is just nice.
I am more annoyed by the QTEs in the last level.

ShaidarHaran, you need to spoiler tag your post.

Sorry bout that, fixed it now.

What specific issues do you have with the platforming ? All the posts I have seen said it is too forgiving. I am just about the only guy who said platforming is just nice.
I am more annoyed by the QTEs in the last level.

It was just one level right before you encounter the aforementioned
mutant nazis, the part where you have to pull those two giant key-shaped levers
that the platforming got to me, but I'm sure at least part of my problem was that I didn't have the brightness on my tv turned up high enough. Of course, I didn't think to turn up the brightness until probably about an hour of re-playing that damn level so that's mostly my fault.

Like I said, still a great game though.

Whelp, I don't have time to replay the game but am reliving it via posts :p
Can't remember which level that is.

Is it the one with Roman numerals ? Or the one above the cathedral where you have to get into the secret library overlooking the vault ?

Whelp, I don't have time to replay the game but am reliving it via posts :p
Can't remember which level that is.

Is it the one with Roman numerals ? Or the one above the cathedral where you have to get into the secret library overlooking the vault ?

Roman Numerals
then again, it all kind of runs together for me, especially since I played so much of it in one sitting, and took turns at the controller with a friend, so if the two levels you mentioned were back-to-back it could be either one of them.

The HDD should have very little to do with the texture pop-in as I highly doubt the gigabytes of textures are cached on the HDD. A dirty game disc, OTOH, could have a huge effect.

Roman Numerals
then again, it all kind of runs together for me, especially since I played so much of it in one sitting, and took turns at the controller with a friend, so if the two levels you mentioned were back-to-back it could be either one of them.

Ok yes, I had some trouble with that level too.
Not the darkness, but the platforming (one of those damn swinging lamps) and getting lost. Apparently, everyone else thought it was a cakewalk. :devilish:

Nope, just saying that texture popin of leaves being a problem is a bit of an over-exaggeration. There isn't much texture pop-in that is jarring.

i never said the texture popping of leaves was a problem to me, i just said i NOTICED it...it doesnt take away from the game and the game is very much enjoyable

if you want to call it an over-exaggeration go right on ahead

as for the HDD, i use the standard 60gb that came with the ps3 and the disc is clean as i took it right out of the new wrapping and placed it in

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, just saying that texture popin of leaves being a problem is a bit of an over-exaggeration. There isn't much texture pop-in that is jarring.

I haven't exxagerated anything. I said there was texture pop in various times throughout the game,and that's a fact. Take it as you will.
As for whether it's jarring,that's for each of us to decide for ourselves. I found it broke immersion at times when an entire large surface would not be textured for a number of seconds. Maybe it's because everything else is so perfectly well done.
Either way I didn't let it bother me,neither should you.

Texture pop and parallax or bump mapping pop up show their ugly faces in many games... But I don't think that Uncharted suffers that much compared to other titles...
I've noticed it in other games many times during cutsceenes which IMO brakes the immersion a lot more than when it happens at the beginning of a level.

Ok yes, I had some trouble with that level too.
Not the darkness, but the platforming (one of those damn swinging lamps) and getting lost. Apparently, everyone else thought it was a cakewalk. :devilish:

It was the combination of the two that got to me on that level. After turning the brightness up I still had to go at it several times before I finally got through the level.

I haven't exxagerated anything. I said there was texture pop in various times throughout the game,and that's a fact. Take it as you will.
As for whether it's jarring,that's for each of us to decide for ourselves. I found it broke immersion at times when an entire large surface would not be textured for a number of seconds. Maybe it's because everything else is so perfectly well done.
Either way I didn't let it bother me,neither should you.

I really haven't noticed this at all. I've heard reports of it online, but I have yet to observe it in my ~15 hours of gameplay (10+ recorded, but with all the redos during the aforementioned annoying platforming section it's probably up around 15 hrs). A friend I've been playing the game with says he noticed it once, but I didn't catch it. To me at least it's not a big enough problem to notice, let alone to take away from the immersion.

I really haven't noticed this at all. I've heard reports of it online, but I have yet to observe it in my ~15 hours of gameplay (10+ recorded, but with all the redos during the aforementioned annoying platforming section it's probably up around 15 hrs). A friend I've been playing the game with says he noticed it once, but I didn't catch it. To me at least it's not a big enough problem to notice, let alone to take away from the immersion.

Well that's great,I'm glad that was your experience.

Just finished the game. (got it for christmass, which is a day ago where I live).

All I have to say, jesus bloody christ. So many pirates and merc's have been killed. Such a epic story.

Great work ND.

I noticed they mentioned a lot(every?) of Sony's other 1st party studio, what was that about :?:

The game's hardly been out a fortnight & your all writing it off as though it's some kind of collossal failure??

Someone in another topic thinks that games make the most of their sales in the first week. So which one is true?

Honestly, Uncharted is not selling well. It will probably break even and turn in a reasonable profit as well, but it's far below its potential. Don't try to make it look better...

in europe, sales seem to be increasing every week. its also selling quite a bit better there compared to NA. don't know what they need to break even/make profit, but i think it will eventually reach 1m, and surpass it. according to VGChartz, sales have been pretty steady.

Over here now it's completely sold out in the Media Markt, along, by the way, with the PS3 - I advised some people (Belgian couple) on what games to (not) get (I effectively prevented a sale of Juiced 2), and they said they had come to pick up 2 PS3s, but the one they were holding was the very last one in the store at that time. I told them there were plenty of shops in the centre and that they should be looking out for Uncharted and Fifa 08 (also sold out), but above all just tell their son to download demos first (he's 21, one of the PS3s was a gift for him).

I'm fairly convinced Uncharted will get good sales for a while yet.

Back