Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Well they do in the movies.:LOL:
Indeed :LOL:

yeah, grenades seem fine to me. if anything, theres TOO much of an explosion and there should be MORE smoke. isn't there just a small explosion inside the grenade that sends fragments everywhere (and those fragments doing the damage)?

Yeah thats what happens.

There are offensive and defensive as far as I remember with a few differences in the way they do damage but in general thats how they work. Cant remember the details. No big explosion though. Just a big bang. Fragments do the job. I threw one once in the army and I shit my pants. :LOL:

I think the game does a pretty good job at depicting realism. The only thing I think needs improvement is that some of the foliage go through the characters and that some lighting effects on some pillars I saw in one underground area with water were actually choppy animated textures.

They are so distracting and ugly. Such effects dont fit in a game that does everything else so extremely well.

I thought grenade smoke is just "kicking up dirt" due to the blast.

The kind of smoke they showed in Uncharted are due to burning fuel (e.g., when a tanker explodes). So I think it is too much smoke for that small explosion in the trailer... unless there are some fuel in the boxes.

No, I'm not a grenade expert... but I have thrown one too.

There seem to be two types of explosions. One in which he threw quite far and we had a blow up that looks like what we would see on the frequency response graph of a music program.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1406/1466010592_2feec7c762_o.jpg
And the other one is this one. This explosion seems well sized, although the dirt is of a funny color

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1040/1466010868_db6e96e000_o.jpg
This one is like the frequency response graph.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1313/1466011148_859caf7b60_o.jpg
This one has the response graph plus the fiery smoke.
The puff seems to be too "together"?
Note: motion blur here? :D

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1074/1465156857_8c14c99975_o.jpg
Now this is amazing.
Dynamic lighting, convincing explosion, even a good shockwave.
I really like the explosion up to this point

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/1465156991_2b81b70c5c_o.jpg
but this after-explosion is a bit less than satisfying...
The poof slowly drifting up just doesn't look too convincing?

Regards the grenades, the game isn't going for realism but over-the-top action-adventure 'realism'. Thus the grenades can behave in whatever way they want as long as it looks good!

The texture quality in this game is incredible. However, the HDR side of it seems 'gimped' from the vids I've seen. When going from the bright outside into the dark ruins, it remains dark. The camera doesn't adjust. At first I thought there was no HDR, but when inside the corridor and looking out, the outside was over-exposed. If HDR is properly in there, it doesn't appear to be being tone-mapped to get correct exposure in the darker areas. And in a game like this with the camera passing into light and dark areas all the time, proper contrast and adjustment seems extra important.

Ice is a lower level edge.More hardcore and less user friendly.Big teeth and strong claws.lives in the dark.

You mean like a nuke?
You even get clouds of smoke floating upward from theatrical flashes or olde-worlde magnesium camera flashes. Modern explosives ought to be detonating cleanly without leaving smoke...but this game isn't trying to be true to life but over-the-top. I'd take a cool volumetric cloud over a realistic clean flash in this game ;)

You even get clouds of smoke floating upward from theatrical flashes or olde-worlde magnesium camera flashes. Modern explosives ought to be detonating cleanly without leaving smoke...but this game isn't trying to be true to life but over-the-top. I'd take a cool volumetric cloud over a realistic clean flash in this game ;)

The clouds were my favorite part of the footage :/ It looks cool...and impressive. I don't care whether it's realistic!

You mean like a nuke?

Urgh... no... I think it was a gas station explosion. I think the rising fireball is essentially ignited fuel particles being burnt up as they ascend. I'd probably infer that something in those boxes are inflammable (like booze ?).

The ND guys have different kinds of explosion anyway. So they probably chose the right one to use.

EDIT:
According to trailers and forumites, Nathan can sweat and dampen his clothes. I think he gets wet waddling in the water too. So the attention to details may already be there
(which makes me look forward to Nariko in Heavenly Sword 2 for some reasons ;-) ).

Last edited by a moderator:
According to trailers and forumites, Nathan can sweat and dampen his clothes. I think he gets wet waddling in the water too. So the attention to details may already be there

Here`s the wet-look:

288qc28.jpg

It's basically Tomb Raider with better shooting. I'm not feeling it yet. It doesn't have the pleasing originality of their previous projects. Can't blame them for trying this of course, and I may very well change my mind on this at some point. I would have preferred them to go for more adventure elements though, I'm thinking of Broken Sword here, the one that starts with a plane crashing in a jungle. Maybe it's something for another time, but I'd love that kind of combination.

I think it will be a good game, but I don't know. Too much familiar stuff right now. I do love some of the graphics, though just some so far. The jungle with all the plants moving as he walks by them is beautiful, but other than that. Nope, I'm not feeling it yet.

They are some of my favorite developers though and I'm hoping, actually kind of expecting even, that it will come. ;)

There's a reason why there isn't many adventure games like Broken Sword made any more ;) (Personally I love them so it's not my doing)

But the idea of Drake's as an adventure game like Broken Sword 3 really appeals to me less than the idea of it being like Tomb Raider.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a reason why there isn't many adventure games like Broken Sword made any more ;) (Personally I love them so it's not my doing)

But the idea of Drake's as an adventure game like Broken Sword 3 really does not appeals to me less than the idea of it being like Tomb Raider.

Ninja Theory should make Heavenly Broken Sword! (No, I'm purely just kidding and everyone is free to take a whack at me for stupidity)

Ninja Theory should make Heavenly Broken Sword! (No, I'm purely just kidding and everyone is free to take a whack at me for stupidity)

Actually I agree. Well obviously they should have done this first, but for their next project, I'd love that!

It's basically Tomb Raider with better shooting. I'm not feeling it yet. It doesn't have the pleasing originality of their previous projects. Can't blame them for trying this of course, and I may very well change my mind on this at some point. I would have preferred them to go for more adventure elements though, I'm thinking of Broken Sword here, the one that starts with a plane crashing in a jungle. Maybe it's something for another time, but I'd love that kind of combination.

I think it will be a good game, but I don't know. Too much familiar stuff right now. I do love some of the graphics, though just some so far. The jungle with all the plants moving as he walks by them is beautiful, but other than that. Nope, I'm not feeling it yet.

They are some of my favorite developers though and I'm hoping, actually kind of expecting even, that it will come. ;)

Isn't every FPS game you've ever playd after Doom...too familiar? I find this argument completely lacking. In the terms of breadth of this genre - this is one of the most innovative games to come out this year.

Back