Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
From my perspective the geology provides us many beautiful rocks which could tell us stories. I do not know why they should't be used. What can surpass the nature? ^^

It's about art direction and style. Realistic rocks with larger than life characters wouldn't work well. Scanning is also a sort of limitation, in that you are committing to the approach and so you have to follow it everywhere.

star-trek-rock-o.gif

It's about art direction and style. Realistic rocks with larger than life characters wouldn't work well. Scanning is also a sort of limitation, in that you are committing to the approach and so you have to follow it everywhere.

Destiny combine their rocks between style, fiction, and real stuff. At least according to "Mars ride along" video.

It could be the same with uncharted. It's a fantasy rock based on reality rock. So the rocks itself have rocking story to tell.

From my perspective the geology provides us many beautiful rocks which could tell us stories. I do not know why they should't be used. What can surpass the nature? ^^
Love. Stronger than even time. (Interstellar :yep2:).

And thankfully that's the part of the game development where Naughty dog are the best at. They know how to develop and present deep and emotional stories about men and women. So in a way they do the most realistic games. 'human condition' realism.

You'll always have some level of freedom in your interpretation, no matter what workflow you're using on your assets.

UC4 has hand sculpted faces, scanned clothes, hand sculpted rocks, and who knows how many other different approaches in all the various assets.
Battlefront has scanned rocks and other terrain elements from real life, scanned maquettes and costumes and props for character elements, hand sculpted hero character heads, and again whatever else they've relied on.
We did work on The Taken King, so I'm not really free to talk about details; but it should be obvious that a lot of the artwork is handmade, too.

It still doesn't change my point that there's a line you can draw in your art direction, where you can either commit to realism everywhere, or keep things stylized.

Scanning will not inevitably lead to full realism, because you can still do anything with the assets; but it will certainly force your hand when you build an entire pipeline to automatically process the source data into game ready assets. I think it's mostly safe to say that ND's scanned cloth assets are still heavily modified by hand - in their case, it's just one of the many tools their artists use for a certain end. On the other hand, DICE has used their scans from the Lucasarts archives as 1:1 references as well, and they've aimed to recreate them as precisely as possible in their game assets. Noone would want to see some unique artistic impression of a stormtrooper in a SW game, after all, right?

Another good example would be Quantum Break. They obviously did a lot of scanning for the characters, but they weren't only using the data as reference or as a starting point - they wanted a CG version of the talent as close to real life as possible, and whatever manual work was involved, it was also driven by the same goals. Jack Joyce is not someone based on Shawn Ashmore, it's meant to be the actor himself.

Rocks are obviously different in many ways... but in the case of Battlefront, DICE wanted the rocks they've seen in Iceland to appear in their game; whereas Naught Dog wanted rocks that looked pretty right next to their Drake who wasn't a digital replica of anyone.

I hope this makes some sort of sense.

Looking forward to your opinion vfx. I'm sure you'll find many things you will like about the visuals :p

Edit: Does this pic show any sss on the face? It's from gameplay

Yea, there is.. but it's nowhere near as good as the cutscenes. It looks like a very crude approximation (almost like reverse normal diffuse lighting).

I don't know, with the cutscenes running in the same engine, with the same assets, at the same framerate, the percieved difference could just be due to the more carefully hand tweeked lighting in those sequences.

Cutscene to gameplay transitions are some of the smoothest I've ever seen in a game, look at that for example(part from the story trailer):

Haven't seen such smooth transitions in any other game.

Edit: Some impressions from a PC gamer (2 Titan X, 4k etc.) at gaf
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202593445&postcount=439
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202593705&postcount=443
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202593847&postcount=452
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202593897&postcount=454

Sounds promising. I agree that this has to be the best implementation of TAA this gen, in motion it looks impeccable.

Last edited:

Then I guess you didn't play gtaV. It was a major stand out back then. Everyone is playing catch-up now. I guess many devs felt embarassed rockstar managed that level of smoothness and polish on a freeking ps360 open world. Shows the only excuse devs had before that really was it not being a priority.

Then I guess you didn't play gtaV. It was a major stand out back then. Everyone is playing catch-up now. I guess many devs felt embarassed rockstar managed that level of smoothness and polish on a freeking ps360 open world. Shows the only excuse devs had before that really was it not being a priority.

Yeah that's true, I haven't played much of GTA V (i highly prefer RDR over both GTA IV and V), I just didn't feel like playing more after the initial first hour. But i do remember from the cutscenes I've seen the start was always a camera cut to a different scene while the ending was usually a smooth transition.

Last edited:
Cutscene to gameplay transitions are some of the smoothest I've ever seen in a game, look at that for example(part from the story trailer):

Fuck me it is all real, all of it!
I'm actually a little dumbfounded here, does this mean Drake's mesh LOD turns up a notch when entering a cutscene with subsequent extra spot lights, shaders and what not? Although the smoothness of the transition tells me nothing is added or changed, it is what it is. Could this game engine really be this advanced by now?
http://imgur.com/2xdjlTd

The engine is really something from what they showcased, I'm sure they are doing quite a few smart things with the GPU as well. Remember that transition in the PSX footage? Well that is not the only time they do that, how they handle loading and streaming is quite something.

Yeah for sure, tho I still wanna see if the unveil 60fps trailer is part of the game and how different it looks in the retail build aside from being 30fps.

Very lossy picture but wow at the difference here
4vp8vet.jpg
The lighting is so much better, probably has more to do with art direction (different time of day), but the skin tone is 16x better also, even accounting the different lighting angle. The translucency on the umbrellas is a bit diminished, again maybe due to the angle, I can't say, will have to look from the different directions during play :)

The lighting is so much better, probably has more to do with art direction (different time of day), but the skin tone is 16x better also, even accounting the different lighting angle. The translucency on the umbrellas is a bit diminished, again maybe due to the angle, I can't say, will have to look from the different directions during play :)

The yellow umbrella looks a lot better, they tweaked the scene a whole lot. AO is also improved considerably (check the baskets).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back