Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, I had about a hundred different rock types in my hands and Battlefront is by far the most realistic game in texture, surface, material and geometry quality here.

That's the result of scanning real life rocks vs. hand sculpting various artistic interpretations of rocks. UC4 apparently does not aim to be fully realistic in terms of rocks, just as much as it has stylization int he characters too.

ipnxjw.jpg

That's the result of scanning real life rocks vs. hand sculpting various artistic interpretations of rocks. UC4 apparently does not aim to be fully realistic in terms of rocks, just as much as it has stylization int he characters too.
On nextgen they'll be doing motion capture for rocks. This gen sucks. Naughty Dog suck with their lack of realistic rocks.

This is very interesting to me, what are the benefits to using this brdf standard as opposed to the order 1886 one for example?
In terms of the diffuse BRDF?

One of main benefits is less diffuse darkening on the fringes of rough objects.

In the Lambert model, the diffuse reflection from a directional light is calculated by simply taking the dot product of the surface normal and the light vector. This achieves a mostly reasonable-ish result on smooth surfaces, but not so much on rough surfaces. For instance, Lambert predicts that the diffuse appearance of the full Moon would be much brighter in the middle than toward the outside, and would slowly fade to black at the edges.

But that's not really what happens. The outer areas of the full moon, while dimmer than the center, maintain brightness well enough at the edges that the full Moon appears hard-edged as seen from Earth. Here's an image from the Wikipedia article about Oren-Nayar diffuse, another model which accounts for roughness; on the left side is roughness=0 (effectively Lambert), and toward the right it gets rougher (and more moon-like).

Last edited:
Well, rocks are less flat and very detailed in other areas :

(old demo)

1920x-1

mHaRcJk.png

uncharted-4-a-thief-s-e-572760d13a867.jpg

IMO, it's an artistic choice.

Last game I was this excited about was Halo 3 for me with Witcher 3 and Bloodborne coming close second/third. Uncharted 2 we didn't have any clue how good it would be (even though it did make me buy a Ps3 after the E3 demo, but i wanted to do that for MGS4 anyway), TLOU was a question mark at the time. Reading this thread (spoiler free impressions): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1214461 doesn't make it any easier. People are literally asking those playing the game for negatives. But I have to add, this is my jam, I've watched all Indiana Jones films (Crystal Skull doesn't count) over 15 times each over the years I even played many of the IJ games :) And also played every Tomb Raider game multiple times (except RotTR, didn't like it as much that and AoD, which was much worse).

Last edited:
I can't wait to get my hands on this game Tuesday. I took the day off just to play it and will definitely critique the visuals. I'll be fair -- I promise. :)
Looking forward to your opinion vfx. I'm sure you'll find many things you will like about the visuals :p

Edit: Does this pic show any sss on the face? It's from gameplay
ktaFzb.jpeg

Last edited:

From my perspective the geology provides us many beautiful rocks which could tell us stories. I do not know why they should't be used. What can surpass the nature? ^^

From my perspective the geology provides us many beautiful rocks which could tell us stories. I do not know why they should't be used. What can surpass the nature? ^^
So you're the one who bought Rock Simulator.

Yes, it's a real game - available on Steam.

There's definitely some sort of SSS approximation going on - the terminator (the transition between lit and shaded areas) has a red tint on the face. But it has almost nothing to do with the underlying facial structure (except maybe it's thinner on the nostrils compared to the cheeks) and there's no self-shadowing (also noticeable on the nostril area).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back