Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final retail versions of the game
CesaqsjWwAI4p9k.jpg:orig

Guessing the preview event is centered around this area only
Ce8zIw-WIAEkPEI.jpg:large

Seems like Madagascar and shouldn't be too spoilery as it is a very open area, probably not much story going on here

I think this area is more for exploring than epic set piece sequence, pretty much infiltrating Nadine's outposts and ends with a cutscene of Drake getting slammed to the ground by the lady herself. Good feeling to finally see some good old native 1080p game after seeing some of the recent dynamic res and 720p+ blurfest titles:).

Come May 10th, I think the only people who will be in this thread will be those that are still hung up about picking screens apart on over compressed Youtube grabs and don't own the game. Everyone else will be too occupied actually playing it. I know I will.

PS: No, I don't mind the analysis, not as long as it stays focused on the game itself, rather than comparing it to other games, that might look better, but do a lot less (or have more resources spent on looking good). I mean, I'm sure there are game studios that in the development phase actually budget the game in a way like "this is what we want it to look like - how much resources does that leave us for the gameplay mechanics?" and then there are others, who come from the otherside, saying "hey, we want this and this and these exciting mechanics in the game, lets do that and see what is left to shape the visuals". This might be a bit simplified, but on the other hand, it's indisputable that visuals are at a constant trade-off to what else the game wants to deliver.

I also think Naughty Dog games are scrutinized more so than other games, because they've built up an image over the years that puts them at the very top, representing the best of the best on a given platform or sometimes even across different similar hardware. As a fan, I'm happy to note that despite this, they've always also maintained an image of not only stellar visuals, but more importantly stellar gameplay too. I can't say the same of lots of other games, very good looking games, but just fall that bit short on the gameplay side. A good example was UC2 or UC3 - it already looked very very good. But wen you actually play the game and see these blockbuster moments, like building collapsing while in it, still emerged into a shooting battle, the moving train, the plane scene, it's beyond belief at times how good it looks in those moments while retaining everything else. These moments, these complex scenes are rarely captured in still frames but need to be experienced to be appreciated how much is actually going on all at once.

It's very different than for example a game that aims to look good most of the time, but delivers a very constant experience with little surprises or moments that push the envelope.

Agreed Phil! ND isn't just another company that only makes very pretty games, their presentation, gameplay, story telling and lovable characters are a lot more important to their fame than what's been given credit for. I guess the keyword is memorable. Good looking games like KZSF, Ryse, The Order or Crysis 3 all have blown my mind graphically but that's the end of it, they don't leave a particularly memorable moment of transcendence such as building collapsing in UC2, the aesthetics of desert in UC3 and the ranch scene in TLOU. You can say ND can orchestrate a beautiful game better than the rest.

Uncharted 1 - 3s gameplay was average with bad AI and a lot of repetitive enemy waves and gunfire collecting opponents. There were abaout 1000 enemies to kill in the campaign. The most of his time the player spent behind a cover, waiting for self healing etc. The Last of Us was much better here but there was also nothing new. Gameplaywise, Uncharted 4 could be much more interesting than Uncharted 1-3. The jungle level showed it. But the other E3 level was weaker.

The Gameplay was not the element people gave them credtit for on the PlayStation 3. I liked the music score best. Memorable? That depends on the person.

What I really like in those games was the fact you weren't alone Ala lara Croft. I really like they took some of the best elements of TLOU especially the melee combat with contexte sensitive actions I believe. I always like the mix of going from shooting to CQC in Uncharted and see those different animations. Also the stealth moves too not to forget the plateforming and intense moments. I wished sometimes there still was a story driven implemented co-op mode available to even enhance the experience. I loved U2 co-op mode as well. Was pretty fun. I spent also hundred hours on U2 competitive multiplayer. Skept U3 MP unfortunately. But went back and loved U4 MP too. Just hope they didn't forget co-op mode. Even if it's only survival mode.

Uncharted 1 - 3s gameplay was average with bad AI and a lot of repetitive enemy waves and gunfire collecting opponents. There were abaout 1000 enemies to kill in the campaign. The most of his time the player spent behind a cover, waiting for self healing etc. The Last of Us was much better here but there was also nothing new. Gameplaywise, Uncharted 4 could be much more interesting than Uncharted 1-3. The jungle level showed it. But the other E3 level was weaker.

The Gameplay was not the element people gave them credtit for on the PlayStation 3. I liked the music score best. Memorable? That depends on the person.
You described Gears of War not Uncharted

Agreed Phil! ND isn't just another company that only makes very pretty games, their presentation, gameplay, story telling and lovable characters are a lot more important to their fame than what's been given credit for. I guess the keyword is memorable. Good looking games like KZSF, Ryse, The Order or Crysis 3 all have blown my mind graphically but that's the end of it, they don't leave a particularly memorable moment of transcendence such as building collapsing in UC2, the aesthetics of desert in UC3 and the ranch scene in TLOU. You can say ND can orchestrate a beautiful game better than the rest.

I just cannot agree about their contributions to gameplay. ND games were never particularly creative or deep, and they most definitely never set any standards. That is why I never got the all-out reverence for the developer. For me it was alwas Mario and Ratchet > Crash and Jak, Gears, Tomb Raider over Uncharted, etc. They basically made made prettier yet also shallower versions of what was the newest trend ar any given time, dating back all the way to their awful Mortal Kombat clone Way of the Warrior. Heck, they even hopped aboard the zombie apocalypse hype train.
I also think they completely lost the plot when designing U3's set pieces. I fucking hated damn near all of these (barely)-interactive movie clips. Thankfully it seems like they came to similar conclusions. U4 looks really promising so far.

Sigfried, you're probably right that they were rarely gameplay creative. Where they are creative is indisputably in their technological know-how, expertise and ability. But I honestly never cared about that, given their games are IMO perfected and polished. Other games might have innovated where Naughty Dog copied, but the end result is that the games NDs produced over the years are very very good games - certainly mechanically and visually solid and to top that off, fun and with the right mix of different gameplay.

I personally didn't like Uncharted 1 much - I mainly played it for the story, but most of the gameplay IMO was boring and far too repetitive. Uncharted 2, now that was something. The perfect blend of shooting and unforgettable moments, but also places where a bit of thinking was required (the puzzling). Uncharted 3, was then a bit too much "over the top", but technologically a masterpiece in every way.

For the record, I loved Jak & Daxter - it's a game IMO that sadly kind of disappeared and in its most basic sense, a blatant Mario clone - but hated Jak 2. Jak 3 was somewhere inbetween, but closer to the hate I felt for Jak 2. I also liked the Crash Bandicoot games. Not sure how creative or not they were, but they were fun to play!

Just wanted to clarify that, given most of what you wrote perhaps applied to my post.

I agree they hit the spot with U2. I was never a huge fan of their gunplay mechanics, but the whole package came together beautifully regardless (minus a couple of overtly drawn out shootouts towards the very end and your typical tps final boss nonsense.)
And then there's obviously the train which deserved all the praise it got and then some. It looked spectacular and put little twists on the gameplay without taking it away. That's how you execute a set-piece. The usual run-towards-the-screen-instafail nonsense U3 is littered with can die in a fire for all I care though.

I too think that ND didn't hit top tier gameplay until TLOU (which i thoroughly enjoyed) but i wouldn't consider Uncharted 1-3 gameplay basic or mediocre by any means. The gameplay was good enough (core mechanics) that it didn't detract from the experience and what made it reach a very high level of quality was the level of polish, gameplay scenarios and the level and enemy encounter design which i really enjoyed for the most part (except some parts from Uncharted 1 and 3). That is not the case with Uncharted 4, core mechanics, responsiveness, gunplay, climbing and gameplay in general is top of the line and arguably best in the genre imo. ND should be applauded for overhauling most probably everything in the core mechanics of the game. As a result the beta felt amazing to play.

Personal gameplay highlight for me from the beta was the moment at 3:20 in this video. Also a perfect example of the layered mechanics in Uncharted 4.

Using the rope -> Jump -> Aim and throw grenade mid air while falling (could even do that while i was using the rope) -> Quick and dirty double kill

Many games, in the TPS genre specifically, do things sequentially. Basically, if you are doing something you can't do something else (wouldn't be able to aim and throw the grenade in mid air, wouldn't be able to get that double kill). In Uncharted 4 you can do so much at the same time which leads to unique gameplay scenarios. A tremendous improvement over the previous Uncharted games and TLOU, just one example of gameplay improvements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back