Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Embargo about the previews ends at 4pm CET, and apparently they will release screens and videos along with the previews from the press who got their hands with it. Hoping gamersyde got some of that :p

Any bets for Eurogamer? My prediction:

"While U4 is absolutely amazing, in truth, it's nothing new. They have re-raised the bar for realtime graphics, gameplay, storytelling as well as character animation. But in this day and age, an open world game is the only way to move forward."

Uncharted 2 is easily one of the best games of last gen, but I wouldn't say that it succeeds despite being a not particularly great shooter. The core mechanics are serviceable, average. The visuals, the set pieces, the varied locations, the scripted scenarios are what made the game exciting. It had this summer blockbuster "wow" effect. But if you just took the core gameplay, which was a cover shooter (the platforming is really just a showcase for visuals) then it's nowhere near the top of the generation. As a sum of all of its parts, the game was incredible. That's why Uncharted 3 didn't hold my interest as well and I never finished it. Looks like with Uncharted 4 they've really done something that most studios wouldn't do, which is change up the formula. Open areas, more free-form traversal, some vehicles to drive around in. Most devs could take a queue and find ways to shake up their franchises.

I really like Uncharted's gameplay. You can do so much more then just shoot cover based in it - climb, run around, run-and-gun, jump on people, hand-to-hand, stealth ... It's one of the better mixes between platforming and shooting in that respect. The story was just icing on the cake. The only thing I wanted to see improved was how enemies react to getting hit.

I've uploaded this clip from Uncharted 2 some time ago

U2 was very responsive and how enemies reacted was actually quite satisfying (except those tank dudes), that's why I was confused by the changes in U3 (which are sort of reverted in the NDC). U2 still remains the best Uncharted in terms of gameplay imo(till U4 drops of course).

Talked to someone today who is die hard LOU fan. He has finished UC4 twice and he says it's the best game he has played yet and we are in for a fantastic time :p :p
Don't ask me who he is or anything. U can guess where he is if he has the game.

Guess we'll know in 36 days more or less. God dammit R&C (hope that game is good at least to worth the U4 delay) :-|

Yea, can't wait now. Am getting RnC too to take me through. Also a friend is lending me his UC collection so I just might end up playing them till UC4 hits.

I really like Uncharted's gameplay. You can do so much more then just shoot cover based in it - climb, run around, run-and-gun, jump on people, hand-to-hand, stealth ... It's one of the better mixes between platforming and shooting in that respect. The story was just icing on the cake. The only thing I wanted to see improved was how enemies react to getting hit.

The gameplay is solid. It's responsive. The weapons never really felt or sounded great, but they are also balanced well so that each weapon type has its purpose. I never found that the platforming mixed with the combat in any meaningful way. The game tended to follow a format of platform -> combat -> platform. Melee and stealth are pretty standard for cover shooters. Uncharted just presents it's melee combat better than other games do. The enemies are not particularly interesting, so later in the game wave after wave of enemies becomes a grind. Overall, Uncharted 2 just did so many things right and there was nothing that stuck as lower quality than the rest.

Well, if you haven't mixed platforming with combat you've certainly missed out ;) perhaps it's the multiplayer that pushes you to do that more than anything else though, and I played that in the beta so perhaps I was more likely to also use that when I played through the main game once it was out.

Well, if you haven't mixed platforming with combat you've certainly missed out ;) perhaps it's the multiplayer that pushes you to do that more than anything else though, and I played that in the beta so perhaps I was more likely to also use that when I played through the main game once it was out.

Multiplayer definitely gave you a reason to use it more, but multiplayer was junk. In the campaign, just being an accurate shooter and moving to avoid grenades was all you needed to do. The hard setting was only really difficult because of how easily you could be killed. Forced you to play efficiently.

I enjoyed UC multiplayer, mostly versus AI. It was too imbalanced versus humans. Typically the best players were grouped on the same team, and the the moment someone quit you were outnumbered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back