Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why UC MP needs 60Hz?

Due to the animations, the game feels so indirekt in comparison to e.g. Destiny.

Why even borther with 60Hz?

Because its easier to aim and react when you have more temporal data to make decisions with.

Furthermore, isn't in online MP lag way higher than fps anyway, even with good connections?

It all depends on the "tick rate" (how often the client is updated by the server every second). For instance, Counterstrike can have up to 120 updates every second and it makes a huge difference compared to something like BF4's laughable 10 tick rate (no clue if Dice has improved it).... maybe not so much for auto aim console shooters but it still makes a difference.

I can't really say what the tick rate is in U4 but it feels really good in the beta. There's also no added input lag, just tested. Framerate can take a hit when shit hits the fan though. They really need to optimize the performance impact of the mysticals and improve on the smoke effect because currently it looks really cheap.

Visually speaking, i think the jungle map ends up looking more impressive than the PSX showing overall, i like both available maps equally, especially how different both feel in their design.

Last edited:
Furthermore, isn't in online MP lag way higher than fps anyway, even with good connections?

Input latency should be independent of the online latency in a modern multiplayer game. Whenever you do something with your controller, the game reacts locally to the changes you make as soon as possible, regardless of what the online latency is (with the exception of very high latency situations and packet losses where your positions may have to be corrected, but that's a different topic).

The changes you make locally are then honored by the server or other players (for p2p hosted multiplayer), with a latency though. This means no player sees the exact same world, only an interpretation based on the latest information your game has received from the server. Yet, any reductions in the input latency should result in a smoother and more responsive control.

I can't really say what the tick rate is in U4 but it feels really good in the beta. There's also no added input lag, just tested. Framerate can take a hit when shit hits the fan though. They really need to optimize the performance impact of the mysticals and improve on the smoke effect because currently it looks really cheap.

Visually speaking, i think the jungle map ends up looking more impressive than the PSX showing overall, i like both available maps equally, especially how different both feel in their design.
Just curious but how did you test input lag ?

I think DF has a device that lights up small LEDs according to what button was pressed on a controller; then they manually count the frames it takes for a visible response in a synchronized 60fps video recording showing both the device and the TV screen. If you know the TV's latency (and obviously turn off any extra image processing features) then you can do the math easily.

Not sure how it'd be possible without that device, though :)

Just curious but how did you test input lag ?

The way DF do it, move the stick slightly to the right or left several times. I also tested the exact same thing on PC where i can run most games at a stable 60 fps. Uncharted 4 feels just as smooth as most 60 fps games to me. I didn't actually test for numbers else i would've posted. Running everything on a PC monitor so it's really easy to spot input lag. It also helps that i am used to playing various different multiplayer games at 100+ fps w/o vsync on PC with M&K where even the slight amount of delay can be noticeable (much less with a gamepad).

Last edited:
Claudia Black's been filming two TV series this year which would leave no time for Uncharted 4.

That does not have to be an issue. P-cap is incredibly fast compared to TV productions, there's very little setup time for takes (a few minutes at most, unless the scene involves stunts - but those are usually not performed by actors), there's no need for make-up and hair or complex wardrobe, and so on - so you can record a LOT of material in just a few days. Secondary characters usually only appear in a fraction of the story cinematics, and their ingame animations are usually not unique so you don't need the talent for that. Oh and it's not uncommon to push 10+ hour days when necessary, either.

I'd say that it's quite possible for any TV actor to set aside a few days for such a role. I'm sure they get days off on TV shows, especially if they're not the leads, and that should be enough for all the p-cap that a secondary character could require. If anything can be tricky here, it's scenes where multiple secondary characters should be present at once, because then the availability of multiple actors has to be matched (the leads are usually contracted in a way that it's not a problem with them). But even then, you can always record some scenes with a stand-in and then re-shoot the part for the missing person later, as seen in the Halo 5 intro with Nathan Fillion, for example.

Edit:
For reference, I think our usual time for p-cap on 2-4 minute long trailers or individual cinematics is something like 3-5 days, which includes rehearsal, coreography, and pick-ups as well. And it's not uncommon to do 10+ takes for action scenes and such.
If anyone's interested, I can probably look up the actual times for the Round Table cinematic in Destiny: The Taken King that we did this summer. Hopefully it's not considered to be NDA worthy information ;)
Another advantage of p-cap over live action is that you can shoot the entire scene at once, you don't have to split it up into separate takes by shot and you can do the cuts later. You can also cut and paste performances from separate takes together and hide the changes in the edit, or have the animators fix the transitions manually. So it's incredibly flexible and fast and efficient.

Last edited:
That does not have to be an issue. P-cap is incredibly fast compared to TV productions, there's very little setup time for takes (a few minutes at most, unless the scene involves stunts - but those are usually not performed by actors), there's no need for make-up and hair or complex wardrobe, and so on - so you can record a LOT of material in just a few days. Secondary characters usually only appear in a fraction of the story cinematics, and their ingame animations are usually not unique so you don't need the talent for that. Oh and it's not uncommon to push 10+ hour days when necessary, either.

I'd say that it's quite possible for any TV actor to set aside a few days for such a role. I'm sure they get days off on TV shows, especially if they're not the leads, and that should be enough for all the p-cap that a secondary character could require. If anything can be tricky here, it's scenes where multiple secondary characters should be present at once, because then the availability of multiple actors has to be matched (the leads are usually contracted in a way that it's not a problem with them). But even then, you can always record some scenes with a stand-in and then re-shoot the part for the missing person later, as seen in the Halo 5 intro with Nathan Fillion, for example.

Obligatory
giphy.gif

Also about the aiming/input lag, there was an issue with dead zones for aiming day 1 but they patched it hours after the beta released. On that note, they've been really active with the changes, we got 6-7 different patches in a week. All of which improved things.

Obligatory
giphy.gif

Well yeah, but this is just the technical side - the inclusion of Chloe would be more of a storytelling choice. Then there's also the cost, both in money and artist time, to build a completely new character model.

My post was more about giving a little insight to what's actually involved with this stuff :)

Nice, thanks! I am sure they wouldn't include Chloe if it doesn't make sense for the story but a lot of fans, but after TLOU i trust Druckmann and Co. At least for the story part, i expect something special as a closing chapter. Uncharted 3 was really disappointing in that regard imo.

The way DF do it, move the stick slightly to the right or left several times. I also tested the exact same thing on PC where i can run most games at a stable 60 fps. Uncharted 4 feels just as smooth as most 60 fps games to me. I didn't actually test for numbers else i would've posted. Running everything on a PC monitor so it's really easy to spot input lag. It also helps that i am used to playing various different multiplayer games at 100+ fps w/o vsync on PC with M&K where even the slight amount of delay can be noticeable (much less with a gamepad).
As per what Laa-Yosh said, how can we realistically separate the monitor input lag from game input lag without a device to help out with that?
I just got a benq g-sync monitor and I believe even at its fastest setting the rated input lag as per benq stats is 7ms. Which is super low, but I've not seen a monitor go much lower than that. CRT or no chance I think.

As per what Laa-Yosh said, how can we realistically separate the monitor input lag from game input lag without a device to help out with that?
I just got a benq g-sync monitor and I believe even at its fastest setting the rated input lag as per benq stats is 7ms. Which is super low, but I've not seen a monitor go much lower than that. CRT or no chance I think.

Yeah it's not possible, that's why i said i didn't count any numbers. I am just guessing from my experience with playing many different competitive games that Uncharted 4 is as good if not better than most 60hz games when it comes to input lag. Sure, you can't be really sure if it has added input lag (more than usual) but you can usually tell if that's the case, it's one of the most off putting things in games that require fast reflexes like Uncharted does.

Last edited:
DF's device - or other ones - does not help with the screen's latency, that has to be manually substracted. It's purpose is to get precision at the other end - the LEDs light up at the exact moment when the input signal is delivered. That's the part that is not really possible to nail down from just a video, you can't tell when the button connects just by looking at individual frames.

I guess realistically the only time we're looking at input lag from a game is if it's got an effect similar to triple buffering, (like TLOUR engine) otherwise I'm guessing it's not going to feel all that bad.

Lol that part at 3:50 was really good, that's why you shouldn't try to revive teammates when enemies are close by.

ND released another update today: https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/675485167608274944
MP Beta Update: 1.08.017 is live! Relaunch to get it. Fixes for challenges and earning relics, and explosions now hit the djinn. Check it!

I am glad they use the data gathered by the beta to improve the final game. Some of the betas released lately seem more like a promotional tool for publishers rather than actual beta testing.

Lol that part at 3:50 was really good, that's why you shouldn't try to revive teammates when enemies are close by.

ND should also fix moment at 5:17 when I stood on the wall and punched [and then kicked :D] enemy that was "in cover" down below me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back